Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heard of Steve Morris?

4 posters

Go down

Heard of Steve Morris? Empty Heard of Steve Morris?

Post  WhatThe... Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Nick,

Ran into the name Steve Morris recently, perhaps on another thread in this forum.

Did a web search and had a read. Interesting and controversial to say the least! Certainly calls a spade a f---cking shovel!

Have you encountered Steve Morris before? Any thoughts on his ideas?

Cheers.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Heard of Steve Morris? Empty Re: Heard of Steve Morris?

Post  Bob Wright Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:12 am

I'm pretty familiar with his website as well. Seems he's upset quite a few "traditionalists", but there again I personally agree with quite a few of his statements.
Bob Wright
Bob Wright

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2007-03-25

Back to top Go down

Heard of Steve Morris? Empty More on Steve Morris.

Post  WhatThe... Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 am

Agree with you Bob.

This guy is apparently mid 60's, and if the blurb on his site is correct, was advocating the de-bullshitting of MA years & years ago.

He sounds like he;s been a bull at a gate his whole life. But it's hard to argue with:

"The guiding principle that underlies all fight training is to train as you need to fight. That means mentally and physically preparing to take on someone who can fight in the multidimensional sense of the term, and not training to beat up some legless drunk on a Saturday night, or to touch someone in a game of tag—where's the challenge in that?"

Would be intereseted to know if Nick has encountered him at all, and if so what he thinks.

WhatThe...

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am

Yes I trained with Steve once for about six hours - approx 1993 if memory serves. We did karate and he was wearing a gi which kind of shoots one of his claims that he only did karate for eight years in the foot.

Some of my students also trained with him on a more regular basis which I would have done had I not been out of the country on body guard assignments all the time.

You can read more about my time in the class etc in the thread about MMA v combatives debate on page two in the self defense section.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Rowe Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 pm

We did a course with Steve Morris recently at my Dojo, you can read the students comments here:

http://www.shikon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1123

He's back again in June.

Steve Rowe

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-02-26

http://www.shikon.com

Back to top Go down

Heard of Steve Morris? Empty Apologies Nick!

Post  WhatThe... Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:54 pm

Nick,

I didn't realise you'd discussed Morris only a few months back. I picked up on him in the recent thread that included video links and Steve Rowe's comments.

WhatThe...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down