Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complete Strangers?

3 posters

Go down

Complete Strangers? Empty Complete Strangers?

Post  CJS Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:00 am

Hi John,

How do you feel about protecting complete strangers? The area i live in is a rough ex miners/farmers village and un-fortunately if you look at somebody the wrong way you get a clip.

The reason i ask about complete strangers is, i was walking down to my local newsagents for a morning paper about 2 days ago, when i spotted an older bloke and what it seemed like his son giving a young lad a good kick in. I firstly checked my surroundings and then ran over. On arriving at the scene i put my fence up and said "get off him or I'm jumping in lads" luckily for me they stopped and the lad who was receiving the beating ran off.

Now this incident was in the middle of the high street and one of my Mrs mates saw the whole thing. When my Mrs found out about it she went absolutely ape shit with me, she told me i was a lose cannon dying to try my skills out, and that i had no business sticking up for a lad i didn't even know. I suppose she's just looking out for me.

How do you feel about sticking up for complete strangers? do you feel it's like asking for trouble? Because you hear stories of men intervening with domestics and ending up with stilettos in the back of their heads.

Your input is much appreciated John.

Kind regards
Chris

CJS

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2006-08-19

Back to top Go down

Complete Strangers? Empty Re: Complete Strangers?

Post  John Skillen Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:02 am

Chris sometimes we have to stand up and be counted. i can understand your wifes feelings she is genuinly trying to protect her interests. i think the saying is "devil you do, devil you don't". I'm sure if the kick in had of continued somebodys son could have died. you did a good thing, the same thing that i would have done. d Remember distance is good, shouting is good, using phrases like "leave it lads the old bill are on the way" or as you did - all you after doing is making the attack stop. you were doing a policing, job if there were more people like you that were willing to come up to scratch then there would be less trouble than there is now. Just make sure that when you intervene that your wife is safe and it is reasonibly safe for you to take action.
violent attacks are fluid situations that you have to read, assess and decide what your going to do second by second.
As for domestics, a man or woman attacking each other, then it is wise to ask if either party wants help from a distance first. I find observing the situation is best and only take action if 100% nessescary because you do risk them both turning on you.
just making people aware that your there sometimes diffuses situations.
take care mate and make sure you assess what your going into before you go in.
john
"The man did good"

John Skillen

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2006-08-16

http://www.johnskillenmaf.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sly fox Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:47 am

When i was with an ex a number of years ago, she'd go ballistic when i got involved with strangers getting beaten up, it was out of fear that something would happen to me. If it was your kid getting a kick in im sure she would want someone else to get involved.... i think you did the right thing, but in doing so you take a risk... the siuation hasnt come up with my wife, but i may well discuss this topic with her...

My dad once stepped in when a guy was hitting his girlfriend, and the gf took off her stiletto shoe and tried to lamp my dad with it
sly fox
sly fox

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  John Skillen Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:29 am

What is it with women and stilletos there must be some rbsd instructor out there teaching them Laughing
your right the majority of women seem to want to just leave it, unless of course they've had a drink drunken and your out numbered.
take care
John

John Skillen

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2006-08-16

http://www.johnskillenmaf.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum