Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter

+3
DannyL
Dave Turton
REG999
7 posters

Go down

Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter Empty Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter

Post  REG999 Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:35 am

Hi Dave,
I just recived NAP's news letter, i just want to ask what's the deal with the picture of a guy's shin?

REG999

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2006-08-26

Back to top Go down

Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter Empty Re: Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter

Post  Dave Turton Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:22 am

Its Andy Crittenden whose centre we use for most SDF activities.

we were doing a section on Savaux, Chausson and 'purring'.. several of these kicking styles involve attacking the shins in close.

Myself and Karl (Blackwell) used Andy as the attacker albeit in fact quite gently.. we really only 'tapped' Andy, but with placement and technique you get results.
Andy took about 6 or so kicks then had to 'retire' from that bit. the residual pain is enormous with these techniques.
unfortunately Andy's shins took nearly 2 weeks to heal.
Ian (Goehler) from NAP and Lee the cameraman were somewhat impressed by the results that Ian wanted a photo top illustrate the effects of the kicks.

thats it really

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter Empty Purring

Post  DannyL Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Dave

I was also a recipient of NAPs letter. I don't have the cash spare for the DVDs at the moment (but Xmas is coming) but I wanted to ask you about it. Hope you don't mind.

As I understand it, purring was a competitive sport. I wondered in what way the kicking is so different from what you see it modern arts? What exactly makes it stand out? Also, how are these techniques relevant to modern street self-defence?

Thanks

Danny

DannyL

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2006-10-06

Back to top Go down

Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter Empty Re: Just got New Approach Publishing's Newsletter

Post  Ade Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:26 pm

mind if i jump in Dave?

DannyL,i use purring as a technique in clinch/standing grappling work.

get in a standing clinch and have your oppo kick your shins repeatedly and with feeling.this should give you an idea of effectiveness/relevance of purring.(as well as bloody hurting!)

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  DannyL Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:21 pm

Cheers Ade

I don't think I need a live demo to see the effectivness of that one!

I wondered is there anything particular about the style of kicks used in purring that makes them so special/lethal at that range?

DannyL

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:09 pm

Purring as a sport is (comparitively) modern.. only a couple of hundred years old.
However it is celtic/anglo saxon in origin, and was used as a combat system much more than a sport for well over 1000 years.

remember that only the Roman army had 'shin guards' made of metal and many anglo saxon warriors wore horse shoes stitched into their shoes to be able to attack the shins of their enemies whilst being in close quarter sword and shield range.

there are, or actually I should say I have learned only half a dozen kicks (there might be many more I dont know them though if they exist)

The average 'peasant' from the pre and post Roman eras was very poor and only had strapping over 'sack-cloth' as their shin guards.. so civilian fights would be a mixture of Pag, Wrestlng and Purring back then.

A good kick to the lower legs, ankles etc could often end the combat...

it was a brutal arts (still is)

also there were regional differences, but not massively so..

The main areas in Britain that purring was common were:
Wales ,, Devon (lots of nasty kicks in Devonian wrestling), Cornwall (which was once called "Little Wales.. Cahn Wales or Carn walls or Cornwall) and the Lake district

viscious and interesting combat style

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  DannyL Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:02 am

Cheers Dave

DannyL

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:55 am

Dave Turton wrote:

there are, or actually I should say I have learned only half a dozen kicks (there might be many more I dont know them though if they exist)

Dave,could you describe some of these kicks?

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 am

There's six of them Ade,

- Jeez that knacks let's not do lots of them!

- Oofffffsskkk... that knacks can you help me off the floor please

- Feck me.... that knacks can you leave me on the floor please while I recover

- Can you stop kicking me please... that knacks and I want to cry.

- AARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH.... THAT KNACKS AND I CAN'T FECKEN GET UP

- whimper.

Dave will give a much more comprehensive explanation I'm sure but that's pretty much the gist of it. Laughing
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:03 am

lol!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Crittenden Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:55 am

Quite gently? Shit id hate to see it done hard, looking forward to seeing the dvd to see how gentle it was. Leg was knackered for about 4 weeks and is still "lumpy" and not totally stable so i hope everyone learns from it.

Cant believe they put it in the newsletter

Andy Crittenden

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2006-09-11

http://www.andycmartialarts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stubedo Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:57 pm

Is this the shin kick taught by British Army / Navy (Marines) wherein you kick into the higher shin and scrape downwards to the ankle?

Big boots, big pain!

stubedo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:25 pm

No scraping with this particular one.. its designed purely and simply to SPLINTER tibia and fibia

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down