Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger Claw

3 posters

Go down

Tiger Claw Empty Tiger Claw

Post  Jeff Menapace Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi Lee

I know that in the past you have said the slap has been more successful for you than the hook punch. What about tiger claw and the right cross? Would you say tiger's claw has been more successful than a straight punch/right cross? If so, what specifics of the strike do you believe made it a better fit for you over a straight punch?

Take care

Jeff
Jeff Menapace
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Tiger Claw Empty Re: Tiger Claw

Post  Lee Morrison Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 am

Hi mate
here's the deal during the first 8 years that I worked on the door my main artillery if you like, consisted of punching namely a left cross (being left handed) and a right hook. I had a great degree of of success with these two tools but often at a price.

I found for me personally, that I didnt seem to target that well under stress, when calm and collected, no problem I could actually select target and tool of choice then implement it. But on those slightly more stressfull occasions when it just kicked off, I would often just hit everything that was moving within my immediate space.

Consequently I was often the one with my hands in an ice bucket at the end of the night. During the last 4 years of the 12 that I actually worked on the door, I finished my term some 18 months ago now. At the influence of the late great Peter Robins, I made the transition to open hand tools namely the Tiger's claw/palm shot from my left side and the cupped hand earslap off my right.

These two strikes came very natural to me, being that the body mechanics used to employ them are exactly the same as for my previous cross/hook the only difference was the weapon formation.

Without getting into a debate over closed fist punching versus open hands, suffice to say that I had immediate KO success with both the TC and the CHB. During this time period when I was training extensively in the Combatives via CODA, American Combatives along with several other groups

I was also working in a variety of shitty establishments where I was afforded the opprtunity to employ my skills A LOT. I was literally taking something from Pete on a Sunday session and using it on the following Thurs/Fri/Sat almost like a testing lab (not out of choice, but rather circumstance I might add)

So there you have it, in closing I would say don't get hung up on which tool/strike works best the physical part, is the most straight forward part of the equation. Find your own personal main artillery that works and fits you, then spend the majority of your time developing the mindset needed to employ that said option to the best of your ability whilst replicating the similar circumstances where you might need to use it.

Thanks for the question
Peace

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Menapace Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:57 am

Thanks Lee! You answered my question perfectly.

Jeff
Jeff Menapace
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Disenchanted Westerner Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:51 am

Hi Jeff,

I've recently witnessed a very clear example of how effective the "tiger claw" is. I have seen an altercation in the street that was resolved with a pre-emptive straigth open hand strike which knocked the other guy out (and also literally smashed his nose).

I was told that the attacker had his girlfriend harassed by the other guy, thus he decided to "let the hands do the talking", so to say... He approached his "rival", and launched the palm strike before the other one could understand what was going on.

Hope this helps, Cool

Disenchanted Westerner

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down