Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soldier Attacked

+6
Jagunco
Chris
Jake331
Dave
DaveCollins
Nick Hughes
10 posters

Go down

Soldier Attacked Empty Soldier Attacked

Post  Nick Hughes Tue May 28, 2013 9:10 am

Wondering what the consensus is on here regarding the recent attack on the soldier and whether or not it's changed anyone's opinion about the right to own and bear arms?

I can't help but think that if someone had a concealed carry permit they could have ended that attack before it reached the point it did.

Also, is it true that armed police took over half an hour to get there? If that's the case (and a strong emphasis on the word 'if' because I find it hard to believe) one has to wonder what if the assailants hadn't stopped at just one victim but kept on hacking at everyone until they were stopped.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Soldier Attacked Empty Re: Soldier Attacked

Post  DaveCollins Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am

The real damage was done by crashing the car into the victim. The only way you'd stop that is to either a) ban cars b) ban these people from your country.
Available firearms therefore would not have saved the victim.
Consensus and opinions? Everyone in Britain is just too shit scared and bent over for political correctness to have an opinion other than the approved ones never mind express one. You say the wrong thing in the UK and you can very likely be arrested and lose your job/livelihood. No one is going to stand by you.

DaveCollins

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:Wondering what the consensus is on here regarding the recent attack on the soldier and whether or not it's changed anyone's opinion about the right to own and bear arms?

I can't help but think that if someone had a concealed carry permit they could have ended that attack before it reached the point it did.

Also, is it true that armed police took over half an hour to get there? If that's the case (and a strong emphasis on the word 'if' because I find it hard to believe) one has to wonder what if the assailants hadn't stopped at just one victim but kept on hacking at everyone until they were stopped.

Nick

I'm still against the right to bear arms in this country. I feel that it would cause a lot more problems than it would solve.
Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake331 Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm

the right to bear arms in the UK is a tricky one. Funnily enough I completely support the right to bear arms in the USA and other countries that have pretty much always had that right, but here in the UK I'm not quite as sure about it. In practical terms its not important as I cant see it ever happening here under any circumstances, simply owning firearms has become increasingly difficult and more restrictive over the last couple of decades, never mind getting a concealed carry permit!

As for that incident apparently the police took 20 minutes to get there (according to media) and 14 minutes to get there (according to police spokesman). Either way it was long enough for the attackers to wander around giving interviews afterwards, having their pictures taken and talking to people in the street, bizarre.

Jake331

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Wed May 29, 2013 3:00 am

I don't believe concealed carry wouldn't have made any difference to the outcome for the victim in this instance. As noted above the victim was moved down with a speeding car. In fact emergency services may well have had more casualities to deal with and lost the chance to gather intelligence from the two suspects now in custody had there been bullets flying.

I'm not against concealed carry as a concept. Genuinely, I do see a place for it.

The police were on-site within minutes, the armed response unit took twenty minutes to arrive which overall are great response times. The initial responders assessed and attempted to contain the scene without further bloodshed (job well done really!) The ARV staff were efficient and professional in taking the two suspects down... amazingly without killing them both. Great job.

Bystanders on the very busy high street took video footage which ended up all over the internet within minutes. Bystanders also approached the attackers in attempts to contain them and also reach the body of Lee Rigby. Bless them for their courage, it's amazing there wasn't more bloodshed.

I take my hat off to everyone involved in addressing the outcome of a vicious, murderous attack.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 am

I think that one of the first things I said was that in america there would not have been so long a wait for an armed policeman.

That isn't a critisism of any of the police present I think they acted well from what little information I've had time to study. Also I don't think it would of saved the poor bloke killed, but I do think it would have been better if police were armed routinly and thus there was less of a wait. If those two had wanted to kill more they could of which invariably would have ended up with the unarmed officers present trying to stop them and probably getting hurt.

My stance on guns is unchanged. I think we should have the right to gun ownership and carry licences in the UK. All I can see in this place is that the law stopped the people trying to help from carrying, not the actual fool involved who actually had a gun, which I hear blew up in his hand which was a blinding bit of luck.

Sorry this is rushed as I'm at work I'll probably haveto edit it later
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Fri May 31, 2013 4:29 am

Nick Hughes wrote:Wondering what the consensus is on here regarding the recent attack on the soldier and whether or not it's changed anyone's opinion about the right to own and bear arms?

Nick

Why would anyone want to shoot him? The people watching were just embracing the cultural enrichment that diversity brings.Its a shame the soldier had to die but we must not allow one incident to undo years of good work.This guy is spot-on.If we become more tolerant the Islamists will leave us alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sP696bmx8WU

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am

tonyk wrote:

Nick

Why would anyone want to shoot him? The people watching were just embracing the cultural enrichment that diversity brings.Its a shame the soldier had to die but we must not allow one incident to undo years of good work.This guy is spot-on.If we become more tolerant the Islamists will leave us alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sP696bmx8WU

I completely understand that everyone has strong feelings about what happened to Lee Rigby. I don't think it's such a good idea to divert this thread into a political discussion around diversity or a religious discussion around Islam.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Chris wrote:
I completely understand that everyone has strong feelings about what happened to Lee Rigby. I don't think it's such a good idea to divert this thread into a political discussion around diversity or a religious discussion around Islam.

Exactly Chris, politics and religion are to be avoided on this forum please.

Thanks
Pete
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm

My point re the weapons issue was more along the lines of "what would have happened if they hadn't stopped at just Lee Rigby but began hacking at a bunch of other people?" Whether it was 14 minutes or 20 two guys armed with machetes could do a hellacious amount of damage in a crowded shopping center in that time frame.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I think you're right Nick... the oficers present would probably have had to do something and put themselves at great risk...
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Aside from anything else, the idea of living in a place where someone could do something like that to someone else in front of me without my having the tools to be able to do anything about it makes me absolutely furious. I could have gotten crowbars or knives of my own and been back before the police, but the one guy still had a gun. That...is wrong.

jesse

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 am

I sometimes wonder what would of happend if it was on my street. I'm not a gun owner but I know there are several hunters on my street with rifles. I livei n the middle of nowhere and sometimes they go after rabbit or deer. I wonder if they would have went home and fetched a rifle
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:59 am

no one knows what they will do in any given situation until the situation happens

we like to think we would do this or that action, but often we dont

I would like to think I would have gone to his assistance, but I cant be 100% certain I would

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum