Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are Your Reasons?

+5
Ade
Steve bungle
RichardZ
GOVINDA
rezbi
9 posters

Go down

What Are Your Reasons? Empty What Are Your Reasons?

Post  rezbi Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I started , first, in weight training and then in Kung fu, because I was, for want of a better word... a total wimp.

And I was well and truly bitten by the bug.

After that first time, I started to search for the 'best' out there.

My reason was, the tougher the art, the more I suffered during training, the better it was.

And I still hold to that.

I finally found what I was looking for in the Goshinkwai system (although I have a heck of a lot more to learn in GY).

Call it martial arts, fighting, or whatever...

Why did you get in the first place?

What do you look for in whatever you do?

If you could put together your own system, what would it consist of?

Be as thorough as you can.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are Your Reasons? Empty Re: What Are Your Reasons?

Post  GOVINDA Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Had a brief spell at Judo as a teenager, as an adult Wado Ryu, it didn't suit my expectations so I tried Wing Chun which I loved but again they changed it, adding escrima and Vale Tudo to the syllabus, no likey...from then JKD, JuJitsu, Aikido more Judo, Boxing, Krav Maga, Urban Combatives... then to my own, Applied Basic Combatives.

My reason for all this was my love of the Arts, Eastern Culture and philosophies, not to forget the odd Bruce Lee film Very Happy

I was looking for the complete Art, for self protection purposes, to get myself into the zone so to speak, I really have heard and seen a lot of BS out there, once I realised there is no perfect art or system I decided to do my own thing, it was actually quite a famous dude from another forum who told me I should try and go myself....

My system consists of basic principles, its short and sweet as this is all you need in any basic bashing scenario, basic tools, fists, feet, head, teeth, I copy and cover a lot of the pre-emptive stuff out there, I teach violence as opposed to non violence, aggression as opposed to soft skills, I also teach other basic principles, like awareness, common sense, all in all after 6 or 7 months is all you need imo for a SD programme, training 3 times a week, any more than 7 months is useless for the learning curve, of course drilling the system is a must and should continue,........free of charge,.......... combats and tight t-shirt optional Very Happy
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:31 am

Govinda,

So if you had to break that down, what techniques, principles, etc., do you look for in a fighting system?

rezbi

Number of posts : 270

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Mmm, techniques in a system, I guess I look for aggression being taught in any application of any technique !, any technique can and may work in any situation......it also may not work, but if its used with bucket loads of aggression there is a better chance that it will, imo. I used to poo poo systems but as I've aged a bit I realise shit happens......

A principle is a law or rule that has to be, or usually is to be followed, or can be desirably followed, well that's the definition anyway, I like to be able to choose my own principles with regards to this game, the only steadfast one in my "system" are the four A's,

Awareness
Adapt
Aggression
Advantage

Maybe not to popular in today's 3rd fight syndrome world, but in any scenario I've witnessed or been a part of, extreme violence and aggression is the key to success in a brawl, attack, mugging, being bullied whatever, that's what I now try to teach.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardZ Sun May 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I began training from being somewhat "forced" to it. Because of my environment and resulting attitude, I was aggressive. Around the age of 10, I was always getting into fights. There was no inclination to solve any dispute other than physical. I had many punishments from my parents. A friend of my mother told her martial arts was a great discipline. So unlike many others who seek out the physical application of martial arts first, I was set on the course of its discipline values. In the early 60's, out of behavioral problems, my mother, against my father’s motion, signed me in a Judo school. My father is Italian and in those days could not accept anything non-American/European and had many prejudices.

Judo was not popular back then. Most kids/boys would take up boxing. Because I was a runt, boxing gyms would turn me aside. Sensing that I was never selected for boxing, my father allowed me to remain in Judo. I would get ridicule form my "peers" about taking a "Jap" art getting insults with reference to WWII

Some years afterwards, a Karate school was opened and I had signed for that. Then, most of those lads in Boxing went to study Judo. It was becoming more popular with TV spots and movies like James Bond. Funny, how those who had ridiculed me many years before, were learning Judo

From Karate, I had studied Gung Fu, TKD, and went back to my roots; Ju Jitsu (before it became a MMA fad) One of my former Judo coaches gave me reference of a private Ju Jitsu instructor.

A few decades ago, I and a girl I was dating, with another couple happened to stray into a bad part of town. Two gunmen came out and grabbed my date. They asked us for our wallets/possessions, which we gladly handed over.

On our way home, I told everyone that these robbers had our IDs and places of residence. Unmoved, they all thought I was paranoid. Weeks later, my girl was briefly abducted from her home. No great harm was upon her as they had released her after she pointed out other homes for robbery.

I realized those decades; all of this physical "defense" training was worthless, unless another approach was taken.

I started to use my past experiences and observations to segregate common martial arts from practical defense.

I tend to use the S.A.F.E. Methodology;
Secure: Know where you are
Avoid: places like dark alleys that look like trouble
Flee: if you see trouble coming, and can get away
Engage: if you can't avoid it and can't run, then fight.

BTW, I carry two wallets if I happened to go into a metropolitan area

RichardZ

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve bungle Wed May 23, 2012 3:39 pm

"I started training to chew bubble-gum and kick-ass....and i'm all outta bubblegum"
Steve bungle
Steve bungle

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardZ Wed May 23, 2012 5:14 pm

MR T wrote:"I started training to chew bubble-gum and kick-ass....and i'm all outta bubblegum"

So now all you are chewing is kick ass? LOL Laughing

RichardZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 am

RichardZ wrote:So now all you are chewing is kick ass? LOL Laughing

Sounds better than chewing a kicked arse!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Thu May 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Ade,

Let us talk boldly, as men do.

Could you please leave the homo-erotic imagery to Cartmelpete please. Afterall, he hasn't started doing your job, moderating the forum, now has he?

I think we should all stick to our own field of expertise, and not tread on each others' toes/invade each others' territory.

There, I said it.

BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 pm

lol! lol! lol! (boldly speaking)
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Thu May 24, 2012 4:02 pm

This willy waving thread has gone off topic, I own a century bob, so therefore am a serious martial artist, please respect this bounce
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu May 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you Govinda.

There is nothing funny about the Martial Arts.

Neutral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CGMWlXosp4
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardZ Thu May 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Mr Nobody wrote:Thank you Govinda.

There is nothing funny about the Martial Arts.

Just funny martial arts people.. Smile

RichardZ

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Fri May 25, 2012 2:49 am

GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldwolf Fri May 25, 2012 5:26 am

Jeez, when I finshed watching Govindas clips there was a selection of others and who was there..........Kaaaaaaaaaaaaarl Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oldwolf

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Fri May 25, 2012 8:39 am

Oldwolf wrote:Jeez, when I finshed watching Govindas clips there was a selection of others and who was there..........Kaaaaaaaaaaaaarl Shocked Shocked Shocked

He's a genius lol..................its tongue in cheek isnt it ?
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 pm

GOVINDA wrote:...........its tongue in cheek isnt it ?

Sadly,no.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Sat May 26, 2012 4:11 am

Ade wrote:
GOVINDA wrote:...........its tongue in cheek isnt it ?

Sadly,no.

Oh Embarassed
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 am

Yup,some of the longest and funniest threads we've had involved this deluded clown Laughing

Oh the fun we had.........
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Sat May 26, 2012 7:57 am

Yeah, Kaarl did take quite a bit of stick on here. It was largely deserved though. He doesn't seem like a bad guy personally (not that I have met him in person), but he was a wannabe whose desire for recognition far outweighed his obvious lack of ability.

BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

GOVINDA wrote:Had a brief spell at Judo as a teenager, as an adult Wado Ryu, it didn't suit my expectations so I tried Wing Chun which I loved but again they changed it, adding escrima and Vale Tudo to the syllabus, no likey...from then JKD, JuJitsu, Aikido more Judo, Boxing, Krav Maga, Urban Combatives... then to my own, Applied Basic Combatives.

My reason for all this was my love of the Arts, Eastern Culture and philosophies, not to forget the odd Bruce Lee film Very Happy

I was looking for the complete Art, for self protection purposes, to get myself into the zone so to speak, I really have heard and seen a lot of BS out there, once I realised there is no perfect art or system I decided to do my own thing, it was actually quite a famous dude from another forum who told me I should try and go myself....

My system consists of basic principles, its short and sweet as this is all you need in any basic bashing scenario, basic tools, fists, feet, head, teeth, I copy and cover a lot of the pre-emptive stuff out there, I teach violence as opposed to non violence, aggression as opposed to soft skills, I also teach other basic principles, like awareness, common sense, all in all after 6 or 7 months is all you need imo for a SD programme, training 3 times a week, any more than 7 months is useless for the learning curve, of course drilling the system is a must and should continue,........free of charge,.......... combats and tight t-shirt optional Very Happy

Just to add here, and to avoid further confusion else where, the famous dude I mentioned from another forum, in no way give me a green light to teach, based on any perceived competence or skill level that I may have, just so you know, thanks.

Thomas.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:24 pm

BN wrote:Yeah, Kaarl did take quite a bit of stick on here. It was largely deserved though. He doesn't seem like a bad guy personally (not that I have met him in person), but he was a wannabe whose desire for recognition far outweighed his obvious lack of ability.

I have met him a few times,pleasant enough bloke.There is only one thing I can say to Karl : Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability, and I want you to know that we are with you, hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldwolf Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Well said George, is it really you?

Oldwolf

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum