Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suitable for the chronically unfit?

5 posters

Go down

Suitable for the chronically unfit? Empty Suitable for the chronically unfit?

Post  neo Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 am

Due to a serious illness several years ago my cardio is not what it was, and it never will be. I'm pretty unfit in that respect, and it's not likely to change to a significant degree.

Previously I've done some Judo, boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, etc. - all of which would now wipe me out, but I'd still like to particiapte in something that might have some benefit if I did become involved in a violent incident.

I'm not asking what the 'best system' (just to clarify), but rather what I might be able to participate in given my limitations, and that may have some practical application in a real-life situation.

Any and all advice/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

neo

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Suitable for the chronically unfit? Empty Re: Suitable for the chronically unfit?

Post  Peter Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:52 am

Hi neo and welcome to the forum.

If you already have some experience in the martial arts then how about Aikido?

Nick Hughes who has hios own Q&A on hear is dan graded in Aikido so hopefully he will pop in here and confirm and perhaps tell you a bit more about it.

Youd didn't mention how your mobility was so Iassume there are no issues there in which case have a look at Silat or perhaps some of the FMA's may be suitable?

Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Suitable for the chronically unfit? Empty Re: Suitable for the chronically unfit?

Post  Socrates Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 am

Where are you based? There might be a good self-defence instructor nearby. Private classes would be a good way to go.

Can you lift weights? If you combine strength training with private classes, you would be fine. Throw in some long walks in the countryside and a sensible diet and you really don't need much else...
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  neo Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:39 am

Cheers Peter Smile

Mobility is ok - no specific problems at least.

Socrates, I'm based in South Yorkshire/North East Derbyshire. There are a lot of clubs about but there seems to be a heavy fitness emphasis - I've no problem with that per se, but it equates to wasted time/money for me as I simply can't do it.

Privates will more than likely be too costly from what I can make out, but I can lift weights - reasonably strong (double bodyweight deadlift - that kind of thing) but nothing amazing.

Thanks guys

neo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm

South Yorkshire?

You shouldn't be too far from Dave Turton then,he should be able to help Very Happy
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Once a month private class with Dave Turton plus lifting heavy weights... You don't need much else, unless you are planning on getting parachuted behind enemy lines any time soon.
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Ooh you lucky bugger, if you can get to Dave T you will be well sorted Cool
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  neo Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm

Ha! No intentions of being parachuted anywhere - I don't want to enter a ring or a cage or even train for any eventuality - just learn and practice some skills that may come in handy (but hopefully not).

Monthly private sessions would probably bypass the cost issue due to the infrequency, but do you think once per month would be sufficient?

Cheers all

neo

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:00 pm

You can always ask for homework...
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:55 pm

give me a bell mate

Dave Turton 07843 736 787

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum