Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not sure where my training's going...

+7
combatnige
Socrates
David Turton
KiwiTim
Nick Hughes
Mr Nobody
Ade
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Not sure where my training's going... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not sure where my training's going...

Post  mrmuaythai Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Socrates, what on earth is a "farmer's walk"..? scratch
mrmuaythai
mrmuaythai

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2006-12-27

Back to top Go down

Not sure where my training's going... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not sure where my training's going...

Post  Ade Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

mrmuaythai wrote:Socrates, what on earth is a "farmer's walk"..? scratch

Pick up something really heavy in each hand...and walk.

It's that simple Twisted Evil
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmuaythai Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Ha! it sounds like a killer exercise! Evil or Very Mad
mrmuaythai
mrmuaythai

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2006-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 am

Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 am

After more adaptations...

I've had to adopt a more abbreviated approach with my kettlebell,using it too often was aggravating my elbows.So 3 times a week i clean and press both sides once every minute for 21 minutes,totalling 1344kg shifted per session,which so far seems to be working out ok.
I've been practicing a bit of "ice hockey jitsu" striking wise,which is working out ok,and making more use of my elbows..which is fun.Also been putting in some time with various sticks around the 1.5-3 foot mark,which is the length i'm most comfortable with-and covers walking sticks,big maglites,batons,etc Can't get the flowing FMA style going though,maybe due to wrist mobilty(or lack of)...so i'm more jerky than flowy Very Happy
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

Back to top Go down

Post  mickeybluejeans Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:34 am

this topic rings very true with my own experience, I'm 48 and are due to have both hips joints replaced, the lack of movement in the joint has caused secondary damage to the discs in my lower back.

my hips and lower back can only move in certain directions this has caused the unusual situation that I can do anything as long as its a controlled, planned movement but if I'm startled and move instinctively I suffer incredible pain.

I go to the gym and to look at me you don't think I'm the sort of guy to mess with, I'm carry a lot of muscle as i can do controlled heavy weights,( I can even do the farmers walk mentioned earlier) but in reality its all a sham as I can't even play wrestle with my teenage son...... all it takes is the slightest movement that i haven't planned for and I'm in agony.

if I was to get into a fight I would have to start it and end it with total control i couldn't allow any unforeseen movement.

so my club training has stopped until find find somewhere i can train with my limitations

mickeybluejeans

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2006-09-04

http://www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 pm

A friend of mine has ruined hips too and because of them he stopped training and piled the weight on.

He is training in an Eskrima club (not sure which style) who have been brilliant with working around his limitations and it has transformed his life
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:44 am

Mickey:

I know traditional martial arts aren't very fashionable these days, but have you thought about looking into a Chinese style? You would do lots of controlled, planned movements in the forms; then work on applications in drills; and finally try to apply some of the moves in controlled technical sparring.

It might not be the best way of training if you are planning on parachuting behind enemy lines any time soon, but it could be just what you need.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardZ Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 am

Upon aging, there will be things one cannot do that once was. I do not think of it as changing a martial art or change a martial art style, rather than to change the "mindset'.

To further explain, most of the martial art teachers who have turned old (and those who passed), did not completely change their martial art. They had changed their "mindset".

One has to be in tune with the limitations of their aging body.

Think of it as an antique sports car.

Sure, it can "run" when it has to, but would you run it aggresively nowadays in comparison to its first introduction/manufacture?

RichardZ

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum