Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Mouthing

+3
tonyk
Peter
GOVINDA
7 posters

Go down

Bad Mouthing Empty Bad Mouthing

Post  GOVINDA Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:51 am

Whats your views on different people, bad mouthing other styles, I dont mean picking on obvious twats who are springing up on youtube, this is good imo and should be done, I mean the constant rubbishing of arts that have endured over the centuries....I find it a bit tedious.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Bad Mouthing Empty Re: Bad Mouthing

Post  Peter Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:38 am

I think it is usually people who have little experience who do the bad mouthing. You know when a student finds a club and then that club just must be the best and everyone else is wasting their time.

They usually learn better as they grow and try different things, if indeed they do.

Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:34 am

Theirs isn't to reason why but to become a keyboard warrior or die.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 pm

For the love of Jesus don't mention Wing Chun!!!!
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Em..........why not affraid
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Apart from bad mouthing the obviously crap stuff that some people try to pass of as the "real deal", I would say it's insecure, narrow minded novices who denigrate established systems.

Personally, I found the whole process a waste of time because I pick up useful bits from almost every style and I find the various approaches interesting. I don't always agree with them and I think I have found "my way", as such, but you never stop learning in the MA'S.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:08 am

I remember Mick Coup saying that making assumptions about how good someone is because of the style they do is like thinking that everyone from Glasgow is hard and everyone from the Home Counties is a wuss (not his exact words, but that was the sentiment...)

For example, I know someone who does tai chi and is a seriously scary person with tons of streetfighting experience. And I also know overweight office workers who brag about doing Muay Thai, but have yet to begin sparring.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 am

Very true.... I try to keep out of such debates when they occur. Years of experience in different styles has taught me that a lot of people don't know enough about other styles to make the rather bold and critical statements about them. I've trained in two clubs where the instructors were both 100% sure (to listen to them speak) that their style was the only one worth doing.... there's really no need for it
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:39 pm

A lot of time it depends on the person.

One of my brothers friends does TKD. MY brother said he gets into a few fights and generally tends to "kick his opponents heads in."

And I've sparred with people who've done Tang soo do, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, who couldn't lay a finger on me, even after I'd been out of training for several years.

So it just depends.

My view is it's better to do something than nothing.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum