Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA Security Gaurd

+5
Dave
Mr Nobody
Peter
Ade
Jagunco
9 posters

Go down

MMA Security Gaurd  Empty MMA Security Gaurd

Post  Jagunco Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQcYmDg6M-8&feature=player_embedded

The bird on the news more of less sets the scene. You can see that his training isn't geared towards the fight he was in, though he was obviously in control. Also someone ws complaining about how gentle the coppers were when trying to get handcuffs onto him
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

MMA Security Gaurd  Empty Re: MMA Security Gaurd

Post  Ade Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 pm

HaHa,Great! Cool

Some nice examples of covering up then firing off there.

good clip
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:02 am

Brilliant Very Happy

They reassigned the guard though, they could have left him there for the adoration of the public which was heading his way.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:18 am

Looked more like Muay Thai to me.

Good on him. I thought he handled himself well but would have liked to see him knock the guy down!

Probably did better than I would though.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

Nice little scrap.
Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mickeybluejeans Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm

doesn't this disprove the line of thought that sparring in the gym/dojo bears no relevance to the street.

How many times have i read that sparring does not prepare you for the 'reality' of the street, but as i watch this guy it looks just like he is 'sparring' (without the gloves)

mickeybluejeans

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2006-09-04

http://www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I thought it was interesting as, though he obviously had and held the advantage, he didn't succeed in putting the bloke down. Also he missed the chance of a clear knock out if he'd initialised and went for the bloke when he was still mouthing off, hence his first punch going a little awry and hence it not taking the buggers head off. I think if he'd had more than one bloke there he would well have struggled because the one he did have commanded all of his attention.

I once trained at a MMA gym and as I went through a pad session the instructor told me I punched too hard, as in a put everything into every punch and though they were good punches I wouldn't last 3 or 5 rounds doing that.... I think that this guy may have been doing the same.

Don't get me wrong, he did well and fair play to him but it does highlight the different focuses in the training I think.
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:55 pm

mickeybluejeans wrote:doesn't this disprove the line of thought that sparring in the gym/dojo bears no relevance to the street.

How many times have i read that sparring does not prepare you for the 'reality' of the street, but as i watch this guy it looks just like he is 'sparring' (without the gloves)

Good point.

However, it is relevant up until the point you meet someone on the street who is better than you at 'sparring'. Then you're likely to lose. As we saw in this clip, the security guard was a much better fighter than the other guy....what if the guy turned out to be better at MT/MMA than him? Different result no doubt.

I don't want to fight a better MT practitioner than me by using MT, for example. I will fight him using stuff he does not know, cannot prepare for and does not see coming.....also I will fight as dirty and as unfair as possible!
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm

I think people denigrate sparring in the same way they denigrate traditional martial arts by mistaking it for what they see in McDojos.

There's a lot of different ways to spar....I listed them once somewhere in one of my posts.

In essence, DONE CORRECTLY, it's hugely beneficial for the street.

I'm curious, for the people who are against it, what does your training consist of for when your pre-emptive strike misses if it's not some form of sparring?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Not sure if you're pointing the finger, as such, at me Nick because I spar every week! Smile

And I agree, there are many ways to spar and do it in a manner that serves the street excellently.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  adam chan Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Kudos for sticking up for the ladies against the bully . Fighting wise , it was too bad the MMA guy miss the majority of his punches and knee ( they were just scratches that didnt land , easy to see if slow mode the footage) . Its too bad coz i would like to c the bully learn a lesson. If he stop the bad guy from moving/evading quickly (checking, push/pull off balance) before he hit, it might be better for him . This is one reason why I really like MIck coup material . Actually the idea of controlling while hitting is in so many classical arts and It works great if simplify. I did a very short clip on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AniVBLMlWDs

adam chan

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Mr Nobody,

No mate...perish the thought...not at all. A lot of people seem to denigrate it, usually because all they've been exposed to is the crap taught in most schools.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Indeed Nick, there is an anti sparring element out there but I'm not sure any of them are on this forum.....

Or are there?

Suspect
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:05 am

The security guard has skills, he just didn't have the killer instinct in this instance.

Why he didn't is anyones guess but he obviously didn't have the intent. He had all the tools just not the emotional content.

Happens to a lot of fighters, they up their game as their opponent steps up their intentisty. Maybe he's a reactive kind of guy in the ring and the gym. He certainly wouldn't be the only one.

incidentally, if anyone who denigrates sparring thinks this is a clip disprovings its validity. Where do you think the security guard would have been without his baselined "sparred" skillset. Probably with some skinny crackhead jumping up and down on his skull. Difference in application notwithstanding, the fact that he was at home in the storm meant he could control the encounter.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down