Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad

+5
Mr Nobody
Jagunco
JKA
David Turton
Nick Hughes
9 posters

Go down

Sad Empty Sad

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 pm

How sad that most kids in Australia, NZ and the UK probably have no idea who Nancy Wake was and what she did...what an absolute ball tearer...RIP

Nancy Wake dies

A woman who won medals from the Yanks, the Brits, the French and the Australians for her work in the resistance during the war...
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Sad Empty Re: Sad

Post  David Turton Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:27 am

blame the school teachers

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  JKA Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:50 am

Quite funny over here: There was an article on her and in it she was quoted as saying she laughed when she killed a large group of Gestapo, I think with a grenade.

Some hand-wringing, cardagin-wearing wanker wrote an indignant letter to the paper about how nasty she was, and what a terrible person she must have been to have laughed at the deaths of these poor Nazis.

Well, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

The response to that was fantastic, many people's memory is still raw.

Cheers

JKA

JKA

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:23 pm

interesting I myself had never heard of her but I'm glad to of now
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm

The NZ school system is becoming too touchy-feely thanks to tree hugging hippies in charge of the education sector. While violence should not be encouraged, we should celebrate those who fought and died for us in the World Wars as we have them to thank for our current way of life.

RIP Nancy Wake....thank you for the sacrifices you made.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 am

David Turton wrote:blame the school teachers

I totally agree with your sentiment Dave but it is the 'powers above' who tell the teachers what they have to teach that are to blame.

Most teachers I know are frustrated that they have to stick to exact lines of teaching rather than engaging with the children on stuff tht may interest (and educate) them.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake331 Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 am

Ace Ventura wrote:

I totally agree with your sentiment Dave but it is the 'powers above' who tell the teachers what they have to teach that are to blame.

Most teachers I know are frustrated that they have to stick to exact lines of teaching rather than engaging with the children on stuff tht may interest (and educate) them.

I agree, "state education" is a misnomer, its really "state training", children are taught to "work the machines" and "do the paperwork", taught subjects from super strict guidelines then schools are judged by how well children regurgitate those exact teachings in exams. If schools/teachers try and stray from those guidelines and actually try and educate children, their results in exam performance will slip and they will be in trouble. History in particular, as taught in schools, is a shocking travesty mainly reduced to regurgitating certain key facts and dates exactly as taught, and comes way down the list of "important" subjects. In general, children are taught "old" is bad, "modern" is good, anything that happened more than a generation ago is all but forgotten.

What does the school do with the children? Gatto takes this in "Dumbing Us Down," the following propositions:

1. It makes the children confused. It presents an incoherent ensemble of information that the child needs to memorize to stay in school. Apart from the tests and trials that programming is similar to the television, it fills almost all the "free" time of children. One sees and hears something, only to forget it again.
2. It teaches them to accept their class affiliation.
3. It makes them indifferent.
4. It makes them emotionally dependent.
5. It makes them intellectually dependent.
6. It teaches them a kind of self-confidence that requires constant confirmation by experts (provisional self-esteem).
7. It makes it clear to them that they cannot hide, because they are always supervised
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto

Jake331

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  DragonKi Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 am

Teachers teach the National Curriculum.
Parents are responsible for expanding their childs mind too even more so than the teacher imho.
Too many people comfortably allow their childs education to be the responsibility of someone else rather than take responsibility in showing their child the wonders of the world beyond the national curriculum

I was in JKD class a few years back and a few of the students were struggling with some pad movements.
Karl Tanswell walked in and said to the instructor words to the effect of ''its simple enough why cant they get it''
My thoughts were if its so simple who has failed the student or the teacher or the third party who can see things clearly but passes judgement. Rolling Eyes

DragonKi

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 am

It has to be said that when I was at school my parents did a lot for me. We vsited museums, I was encouraged to read with my mother, if there was an acticity I was intersted in I was allowed to go and when young given 50p or whatever to do it.

The other week there was some poor kid at work, I had to explain to him who Napoleon and Wellington were Neutral and he took hitory at school
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  BobW. Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Nancy Wake had guts.......thats my adjective for a person I can respect and admire....RIP flower
BobW.
BobW.

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum