Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randall Tex Cobb

4 posters

Go down

Randall Tex Cobb Empty Randall Tex Cobb

Post  Chris Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 am

I recently watched the Holmes/Cobb title fight again.

Very probably the most one sided heavyweight title fight to ever go the distance. Something that stuck in my mind was the comment from Howard Cosell where he said that if fights lasted fifty or a hundred rounds Cobb would be unbeaten.

Here's a few quotes from Cobb, my choice for the toughest heavyweight of the last fifty years.

On fighting:

'If you screw up in tennis, it's 15-love. If you screw up in boxing, it's your ass baby.'

'I've always believed the greatest crime a man can do is to take himself too seriously. Something like fighting is pretty ridiculous to take seriously. What I do is hit people. I'm not promoting anything that is real or valuable.'

"Boxing writers are the only people out there who have less constructive jobs than what I do. I don't do nothing but hit people, and those mothers don't do nothing but write about what I do!"

'The toughest thing to do in the ring is restrain myself. I want to knock the other guy in the groin, but I know I'm not allowed to do that.'

'All I want to do is hit somebody in the mouth. It's a whole lot easier than working for a living. Don't make anything noble out of what I do.'

'I'lll fight any white man, black man, brown man or man of any other colour. I especially like it when they're yellow and having physical or mental breakdowns when they step in the ring.'

'I'd love to fight Gerry Cooney. But I have my price: twenty five cents and a loose woman.'

'Here's big, bad Earnie Shavers, probably the baddest man God ever allowed to walk on two legs, and he got up there with his bald head and his Fu Manchu and his bulging muscles and he stared at me. I cracked up. What did he think I was gonna do, leave? Hell, if I was that scared I woulda left before then.'

'Anybody can hit as hard as Earnie Shavers. The thing that makes Earnie Shavers so significant is that Earnie Shavers is gonna hit you that hard every single time he lays leather on you. I had never been in a situation like Earnie before. And if I have anything to do with it, I'm damn sure not gonna get into it again.'

Holmes doesn't hit as hard as Shavers. Nobody hits like Shavers. If anybody hit harder than Shavers, I'd shoot him.'

On being accused of talking to Holmes during their fight:
'If I wanted to communicate with Larry during the fight, I would have had to send him a letter. Every time I wanted to say something I found it hard speaking because he kept putting his left hand in my mouth.'

To the referree in the 13th round of the Holmes fight:
'Hey, you're white. Why don't you do something about this?'

To Holmes at the final bell:
'Let's party'.

On a rematch with Holmes:
'I don't think his hands could take the punishment.'

On Cosell's retirement during the fight:
'I can do my sport no greater service than this.'

'I'll do anything to keep from working for a living. If I've gotta fight a circus bear then put the drawers on him and let's get it on'.

On the fighter's life:
'You run for forty-five minutes, you train for an hour and a half, the rest of the time you hang out and talk tough'.

On being floored for the first time in his life:
'Nah, it didn't affect me. I just got up and carried on with my gameplan; stumbling forward, getting hit in the face.'

'I been knocked out once, by a Mexican bantamweight. How come? Six of my pals were swinging him round by the heels at the time.'

'Don King is one of the great humanitarians of our time. He has risen above that great term prejudice. He has screwed everybody he has ever been around. Hog, dog or frog, it don’t matter to Don. If you got a quarter, he wants the first twenty-six cents.'

oh and don't forget the best one of all

Holmes didn't beat me, he just won the first fifteen rounds.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Randall Tex Cobb Empty Re: Randall Tex Cobb

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 am

The last one is indeed the best. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 am

Yes, indeed a true tough SOB. Reminds me of Don Frye in both being a tough as hell fighter and with some killer qoutes. Dont forget Cobb's appearance in the brilliant Nicholas Cage film 'Raising Arizona'

Some don frye quotes:

WHEN WORKING AS A FIREFIGHTER:
“We got the call, around midnight. We roll in there and put the fire out, find a couple of hotspots here and there. Then we find a suicide note,” Frye said. “That pisses you off because they are endangering your life and the lives of all the other fire fighters.”

This was worse than people calling for an ambulance at two in the morning with mild discomfort, which is how EMT’s spend 95 percent of their time. This was dangerous and irresponsible, and a furious Frye began searching the house for the perpetrator.

“I walked into the bedroom and found the son of a bitch on the bed,” Frye remembered. “I grabbed him by the ankles and yanked his ass right on the floor. Boom! He screamed and I drug him down the hallway. I hit him against every wall on the way out the door. Boy, it’ll be the last time he tries to commit suicide by fire. I picked him up and threw him out on the lawn. You lose your compassion real quick when people do stupid shit like that.”

ON THE COLEMAN V COUTURE UFC FIGHT:
“You don’t come (to fighting) to quote movies or thank your sponsors. You don’t come to have your fingernails or your toenails painted. Goddamn, you come to fight, not to be a fairy. Fight, that’s what these two old boys are going to do.”

“This might be the first UFC I buy and actually watch in about 10 years, you know? These two guys, it’s going to be one hell of a barnburner. They’re going to show these new guys how to fight.”

ON THE RECENT INFLUX OF PRO ATHLETES CROSSING OVER INTO MMA:
“I tell you what: Anybody who fights an [expletive] like James Toney or Herschel Walker or Jose Canseco or any of them other [expletives] that come into our sport at their age should be required to take them down and break as many bones as possible on them and keep them crippled for six-to-eight weeks…I’d break both their [expletive] arms so they’d have to hire somebody to wipe their ass for the next six-to-eight weeks. It should be a requirement…That’s why nobody respects this sport, and it’s just a circus act right now. They have these morons come in at the age they should be sitting in the retirement home, and they walk in and get a high-dollar fight.”

ON THE DIFFICULTY OF FINDING AN MMA FIGHT IN FRANCE:
“I didn’t know France was ever in a fight. … I heard Italy just declared war on Spain, and France surrendered.

ON A PROMO SPOT FOR A CHARITY FOR US TROOPS ON THE 9TH ANNIVERSARY OF 9/11: “Get out your wallets, ya cheap bastards, and give ‘em some money.”

AFTER COMMENTATING ON THE FIGHTS, WHILST HIS CO-COMMENTATOR WAS ON HIS WAY BACK TO THE BROADCAST TABLE FROM A POST FIGHT INTERVIEW WITH FIGHTER TREVOR PRANGLEY: “That was like two hours of rough, hard sex. I need a cigarette and a tequila now.”

Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:42 pm

HA!

Some great quotes by Cobb and Frye......"Cobb and Frye"...."Frye and Cobb"...sounds like a name for a cheap restaurant.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum