Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class?

+3
SteveT
David Turton
Jagunco
7 posters

Go down

Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class? Empty Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class?

Post  Jagunco Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I as because I know a lot here use them like myself: in the house after a bit internet self tuition but I've never actually been to a class.

I'm planning now on going to a class next week after a lot of humming and haring I've looked one up at a decent venue (that is to say one close to work) and am in dire need of some constructive fitness.

I'm used to doing it in the house for 10 or 20 minutes at a time, which was great when I fitted it around martial arts lessons, but now since I'm not actually in the martial arts and haven't really trained properly in a couple of year I need to get back into shape and so now seems the time.

Also as I've been saying a lot I desperately need a target in life so I think taking a kettle bell instructors course might be nice.
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class? Empty Re: Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class?

Post  David Turton Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 am

nowadays kettlebells are used quite differently from their original design reasons

they used to be simply an addition to dumbells, and barbells for weighst workouts

now they are used, amd geared towards cardio, etc etc

so NO I havent attended any 'modern' style classes, but still have kettlebell handle to turn DB's into kettlebells, and I trained with solid iron ones in the 60's (thats 1960's Nick Hughes ha ha)

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class? Empty Re: Anyone actually been to a kettlebell class?

Post  Jagunco Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks Dave. I never actually knew you could get a handle like that. I'm in the mental stage of designing my own adjustable kettlebells and then selling the design and retiring on the profits (yeah right lol).

Yeah I used them like your good self for a few years as part of a other workouts. I'm jut wondering how someone does an hour on them, the most I've done is about 20 minutes
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveT Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:11 am

There will be a fair bit of time spent on technique training. Getting good form is important at the start for a lot of lifts because although you can muscle the smaller weights up you'll come a cropper down the line when the numbers start to increase.

KBs are just weights. They have some advantages, like simplicity, reduced need for space and adaptability and some disadvantages, mainly price. They're good and I like them but they aren't the magic bullet they're sometimes marketed as.

Kettlebell sport's geared towards massive strength endurance. They train to keep going for long periods so there might be some of that in your class. Not directly applicable to MA or SP but good for mental toughness and "fun" to train for occasionally. The top guys can do some scary stuff.

You'll probably learn more exercises than you'll ever need but you'll at least then have a good vocabulary with them so you can make routines that suit your body type and your goals, plus have stuff in your locker to help other people.

Be careful of getting stitched up on prices. Some kettlebell instructor courses are huge rip offs.

SteveT

Number of posts : 353

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Theres a kettlebell class advertised in Gateshead Councils latest "adult courses" book at £3 a session which seems a good price and I am assuming they will provide the kettlebells.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Peter I've done two classes now and am loving it. The style used by this class is different to the one I've utilised to date but is nonetheless effective.

Yeah they do provide the KB and he needs a van to carry them all lol.

Anyway I can recommend them highly. A very good workout.

ATM I'm going to one a week and then copying the sessions at home a couple of times.
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the classes Jagunco. How hard a workout are they?
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Very. After the first one I had trouble talking on the phone. suitable for all stregnths though as to make it harder you simply use a heavier Kettlebell. I was using a 16 and had a couple of smaller ones to hand for exercises I wasn't confident with but there were blokes in there using 24kg and of course I lot of women were in attendance and using lighter weights.

I'm out of shape it has to be said and I was blowing out my arse in the first five minutes but no one was taking it easy that I could see from my cursory looks about. I overheard someone on the way out talking to the instructor saying 'Doesn't it get easier'
To which he replied 'Its not meant to, the more you do the harder you work.'

Its probably worth mentioning that it is a full body workout as well, lot of cardio, reistance work, ab work, its a good all rounds sort of exercise
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Can you give us a rundown of movements used/time on each one/etc?

please
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 am

Ade wrote:Can you give us a rundown of movements used/time on each one/etc?

please

Quick hijack.

Ade: You will enjoy this programme: http://www.enhancedfp.com/workout-programs/kettlebell/best-kettlebell-exercises-fighters-scott-sonnon

Hijack ends.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 am

Nice Hijack Soc...and good link,cheers
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Soc i have looked at this programme before but the numbers have confused me,how do you remeber your RPM and time the event at the same time?

Do you need two stopwatches for this or am i an idiot?

Buster
Buster
Buster

Number of posts : 798

http://www.crossfitclinic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Buster wrote:Do you need two stopwatches for this or am i an idiot?

If i had a quid for everytime i've been asked that...
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Buster wrote:Soc i have looked at this programme before but the numbers have confused me,how do you remeber your RPM and time the event at the same time?

Do you need two stopwatches for this or am i an idiot?

Buster

If you're training by yourself, I think you do a few tests at the beginning. Set a timer for one minute and see how many reps you can do. You should get a feel for what the rhythm feels like. The next couple of sessions, try to keep that rhythm for a minute and check it with a timer.

Once you've got the rhythm down, you can start playing with the programme. Do the maths beforehand (for example, five minutes at 8 RPM, changing hands every five reps = 8 sets of 5, switching hands every set), set your timer, then count your reps. Once you've got your breathe back, you can check if you've been keeping the pace or if you missed a few reps.

If you're training with a mate, you can get them to time you. If you're aiming for 8 RPM, that's two reps every fifteen seconds. They can yell at you to speed up if you drop the rhythm.

Let us know how you get on...
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 am

OK so I've only been to a couple of sessions and have then copied them in the house but what it boils down to I suppose is:

Warm up
Consists mostly of what you'd expect, get you limber and what have you. Back arches and these squats where you roll onto your back then have to roll forward into a standing posistion are the two things that stand out for me. Ab work. An interesting partner exercise where one swings with both hands and the partner presents a target with his palms and then slaps/pushes the KB back towards you.

two handed swings and so on. I'd guess ten minutes on stuff like that

Gets into the swings/snatches/cleans then, normally in a big way to get you huffing and sweating. For instance pyramids on the swings from 1 each arm 2 each arm 3 each arm.... to ten each arm, then back down ten reps to 1 using swings again or snatches if you're feeling fit.

Think the first week we did 20 swings 20 snatches 20 cleans each arm. then down to 15 then down 10.

Also he seconds week after the pyramid he decided to work on cleans but kept it hard by adding another exercise every set.. we did

10 cleans each arm

10 cleans to squats each arm

10 cleans to squats to errm.. lifting it above your head (yes that's a technical term)

10 cleans to squats to ... whatever ... to a snatch

10 cleans to squats to ... that thing.... to snatch to a lunge

I'm a nut shell lot of basis killing stuff, I have no idea how long this part lasts as I'm to busy trying not to die. I would guess 20 to 30 minutes.

After this he tends to go onto the more little known exercises. normally reps of twenty of 30 seconds. There are no great long breaks, i think perhaps 30 seconds while he's describing the next exercise.

We did a partner exercise based on five minutes continuous exercise 30 seconds using kettle bell while partner does 30 seconds bodyweight exercise. So 30 seconds squats while other does swings, swap, then a sort of leg exercise I forget the name of (you assume a press up position then run your legs sort of thing in a straight up diagonal pattern) while the partner does goblet squats and so on and so forth. I'm sorry I forget a few of the exercises.

A good one on the first day he called a 'torture drill' or some such. You stand in the squat position holding your kettlebell while a partner does 50 double handed swings then swap.

So then its quite standard, ten of this ten of that, short and sharp with rests of something like ten seconds while he explains the next movement.

I would love to tell you what they are but I don't remember the names. I'll try descriptions...

Start off in a sort of shot put positions and then swing the kettlebell through your legs catch it behind the leg and return to start position with opposite hand.

American swings, swing full 180 degrees to right over your head.

Goblet squats, squats with the kb and when at the lowest point extend your arms out from your body

sit on the floor, balance in sit up position KB in both hands and only arse touching the floor, raise and lower the kettlebell while performing double leg kicks with your legs.

sit on floor, bicycle motion with legs, passing the KB under the bent leg in a figure 8 motion. Use a light kb incidentally

Renegade rows, press up position with one hand on the floor and the other holding the KB and pulling it towards the hip

start squat position with KB low in both hands, stand and lift, catch the kb by the round bit (another technical term) and lift it above your head.

Squat position KB low, lift to hips and swap hands, pump in that manner keeping squat position.

Press ups on the KB handle.... harder than it sounds.

Biceps curl with KB... holding the round bit. Its actually hard as well cos you're trying not to drop it and are thus activating more muscles.

A rule of thumb I've noticed is for these its either 30 seconds, 10 each hand of 20 if you use both hands on the exercise. This bit lasts 10 15 minutes.

Warm down and stretch.... what it says on the tin basically Lasts 5 minutes if that.

Worth mentioning.... this bugger likes the plank. We've done it two or three times a lesson. I was taught it first lesson and prodded till everything was in the right place, which makes it harder basically. You can do the normal on elbows one of the press up position one.

Anyway hope that the basic gist
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 am

Just been looking at that link...

Its a bit American.... Juice is taking steroids I assume? Iron masturbation is now a term I am looking to enter into a conversation at the earliest convenience Very Happy
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum