Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mountain Biking

+5
Nick Hughes
roadkill
Peter
Oldwolf
stevie b
9 posters

Go down

Mountain Biking Empty Mountain Biking

Post  stevie b Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:40 am

Following on from Perrys swimming thread anyone here do much mountain biking? Since ive lost my job due to the construction firm i worked for going bust ive been getting out on my bike as much as the snow allowed! I forgot how hard a workout this is and im really beginning to see and feel the benefits of two months or so biking every other day . Great fun too! Ive got a stationary bike too but cant get such a challenging workout as going off road on my bike.

stevie b

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Mountain Biking Empty Re: Mountain Biking

Post  Oldwolf Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 am

If you get the chance get down to the Forrestry Commision site at Peebles, Glen Tress. Awesome set up and yes a great work out (Also a cheap day out) Very Happy

Oldwolf

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 am

Agreed, Glen Tress is a great place for mountain biking if you are ever in the area.

Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 am

I love getting on my hard rock and hitting some trails... Especially this time of year when the weather is nice... if you live in Florida. Great work out and alot of fun. Here in Fl. there aren't any real hills though... most of the state is relatively flat. There are however a couple of parks that were phosphate pits (open pit mining) and those are vicious...

Here is what it looks like here... I strapped a nikon sb6000 to my helmet... lol p.s. pine needles can be slick

roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:22 am

Roadkill,

No hills, or corners. I used to have a t-shirt that said "Deals Gap, 11 miles, 368 corners" on the front. On the back it said "Florida, 368 miles, 11 corners." Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  simontwosheds Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 am

RK, nice video.

I've done a fair bit of XC mtb racing over the years, as well as all sorts of other cycling, and often thought "i wish i could've filmed that".

Steve, Cycling can be a good platform for developing a strong mental resistance to fatigue. It allows you to disconnect the 'overload cut-off switch' in quite a safe situation. Although it's not unknown for cyclist to pass-out from their exertions, i've come close a couple of times myself, I think this is an illustration of how hard a cyclist can push themselves.
I first became interested in this when, as a child, i saw my dad finish a 100 mile time-trial in less than four hours, get off his bike and promptly collapse in a ditch at the side of the road; able to cycle but not stand up or even think properly.
I didn't understand how it was possible to do that to yourself, now i understand. And i can apply that same understanding to any physical endevour.

On a more general note;
There aren't many exercises that you can do 3 hours at a go twice a week (try it with running for example and see how your knees like it).
The bike itself utilises your leg muscles most efficiently allowing you to apply maximum output, again more so than running where you need to divert energy to all sorts of balance, control and impact resistance. Because of this cycling loads the cardiovascular system like nothing else and there's no real top-end to the resistance, you just keep riding faster for longer.
Mtbs seem to provide a good amount of exercise for the upper body and midsection muscles (particularly) in contrast to other cycling. I would consider this secondary to the plethora of other benefits, however. Any vigorous cycling is good.

Sorry i went on a bit, i'm well into my cycling as may be apparent.

Simon
simontwosheds
simontwosheds

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 am

I'd love to do more of it but sadly I have to have a custom built frame etc and I've been quoted about 3k and up. Sad

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:52 am

Hey Nick... For somebody your size... you could just take a motorcycle, kick out the engine and add a sprocket and some peddles. Very Happy
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

Can you not buy a Penny-Farthing in the States then?
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  samurai69 Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

Did a fair bit of MTBing in the early days of its coming to the uk and some of those early races too, came to it from triathlons and TTs so had a fair background in cycling first

i was certainly at 1 of my fitest points at that time

dis some too in portugal, but more "dust track" riding, still good cardio though

samurai69
samurai69

Number of posts : 294

http://www.newspartangym.co.nr

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Simon i find my upper body gets a work out too! I get murdered with shin splints if i run no matter what i do so started getting on the bike and enjoy it far more than running/ limping! Once watched a race at the Nevis Range down hill mental those guys lol. Would never have the bottle for that.

stevie b

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:26 pm

A few weeks ago I commited the ultimate sin and bought a roadie.

I am now cycling to work and back 12 miles each way most days. My route is nearly all downhill on the way to work so coming home is hard work but getting easier.

A roadie is best for fitness as no matter how knackered you are and desperate to stop for break you are you have to keep going as the shame of being passed by an oik on a mountain bike would be to much to bear Rolling Eyes

Another plus is that I went out on my mtb today and it feels like a comfy armchair now after riding the twitchy razorblade of a roadbike.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 am

Glentress looks great! I'm taking my missus for a few days in Edinburgh this summer. Can we get to any of the bike hire places by public transport? Or is it better to hire a car?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 am

Glentress is great but I think you would be best hiring a car.

Incidentally, the red route through Spooky Wood is the best run there in my opinion.

Let us know how you get on
Peter
Peter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 am

Cheers. If I take my better half, I will be doing the most gentle beginners slope possible!
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 am

Ah, in that case the blue route is a lovely ride with nothing difficult involved but with little extras here and there you choose to play on or bypass.

It is well worth a visit. As is the cake shop Cool
Peter
Peter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:00 am

I'll let you know how we get on in August!
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum