Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Boxing different?

2 posters

Go down

Why is Boxing different? Empty Why is Boxing different?

Post  boredbootneck Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Nick,
I have a fair few friends teaching various arts at the moment and something I hear from some of them, and on here from time to time (especially regarding the USA), is that they dont want to roll out too many extreeme drills etc because of the fear of legal action in todays litigious society.
To me this doesnt really ring true, I mean boxing and Muay Thai and even Judo all give their students lots of hard knocks as par for the course and the idea of sueing a boxing coach because you got punched is ludicrous to anyone!
Do you have any idea why this fear would exist or what might make MA instructors more liable than combat sports trainers? Or is this an excuse for instructors not to shake up their training or worry about people leaving?
(I would accept the latter as an excuse from people trying to earn money from MA but I think its pretty sad, from what Ive seen its hard to earn a living teaching with integrity these days)
boredbootneck
boredbootneck

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Why is Boxing different? Empty Re: Why is Boxing different?

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Haven't forgotten you mate...just been flat out like a lizard drinking getting my new tattoo studio off the ground. Answer it in a couple of days.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boredbootneck Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 pm

No rush! Best of luck with that mate! You are probably gona need some extra fingers soon for all those pies, Fair play to ya!
boredbootneck
boredbootneck

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Mate...sorry it's taken so long.

It might be a case of them using an excuse but it could also be a state by state thing.

I do know for example that in NC there is what is called "assumption of risk" which in layman's terms means you assume a certain amount of risk partaking in certain things and, unless negligence can be proven, your SOL if you try and sue someone.

This came about because back in the seventies in the MA heydays people were joining martial arts classes, copping a kick and suing everyone involved. After a while the courts ruled that you cannot be ignorant of the fact that, if you do something like martial arts, skydiving, scuba etc, that you have to know it could be risky.

Now, I can't speak about other states...it could be where they live there is no assumption of risk clause, but, if I had to guess, it could be them worried about insurance.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum