Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the sprawl

2 posters

Go down

the sprawl Empty the sprawl

Post  cobra kai Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am

hallo dave, i was wondering if there is a technique similar to the wrestling sprawling in ju jitsu?

cobra kai

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

the sprawl Empty Re: the sprawl

Post  David Turton Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 am

Yes there are a couple, but they are used as counters to throws, not from a front shoot..

the idea being that as and when your opponent grabs you and tries to 'turn in' for a throw, you shoot or 'sprawl' backwards to negate the throw attempt and then do your counter moves..

believe it or not I have copies of documents showing a sprawl being used against a sword fighter in 16th century warfare.. looks effective too

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  cobra kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:14 am

i have never thought about sprawling from a turning throw. how many wrestling techniques are in ju jitsu do you think? i dont mean throw's as i know there are alot of similar throws in wrestling and judo but is there as much focus on underhooks collar tie's ect, i remeber reading about when the ju jitsu masters first came over here 100-200 odd years ago the catch lads where not impressed and said its basicly the same thing.

cobra kai

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum