Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex Legionnaire.

4 posters

Go down

Ex Legionnaire. Empty Ex Legionnaire.

Post  Numbnuts Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 am

T-Rex,whoops sorry I mean Nick Laughing

Something you might be interested in,I listened to the tail end of Desert Island Discs,a fella called Simon Murray was interviewed,he is a businessman and Ex Legionnaire,an interesting chap.
One of the songs he played was " Eugenie " performed by members of The French Foreign Legion,what a great song ! quite inspiring stuff,even if I didn't understand what they were singing.
Anyway as said,if you're interested the programme is repeated on Friday 9th January at 09.00 - 09.45 GMT.
Or you might like to check it out at www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs

Numbnuts

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Ex Legionnaire. Empty Re: Ex Legionnaire.

Post  Peter Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 am

Simon Murray was in the Legion in the 50's I seem to remember. His book is interesting.
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:11 pm

[quote="Peter"]Simon Murray was in the Legion in the 50's I seem to remember.

So, same time period as Nick then?
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Fuck Off BN.

Yes, Murrays' book was great. There's a bit of a story attached to my reading it...one of life's bizzare coincidences.

One of my students Robbie Grant (RIP) was living on the Gold Coast and I was down there working. We caught up and he was telling me he and his mate were planning on joining the Legion. At that point I had no idea it existed having only watched Abbot and Costello movies about it. He dragged out an info packet the French embassy had sent him and told me how he was getting into shape to go.

Having a long time fascination with WWII and the SAS (before many people knew what it was) I was intrigued but soon forgot about it.

A few weeks later I was walking to work and I decided to go a different route than normal and dropped into a store to grab some gum. There, along the back shelf was row upon row of Murray's book entitled "Legionnaire." I grabbed a copy and began reading that night after work.

I read the book through in one sitting. In the first few chapters I thought it had to be the worst shite in the world to end up in and was intent on telling Robbie. By the end of the book I couldn't wait to join.

A few months later, with enough money saved, I left for the UK and a career in bodyguarding. Upon arrival I found out all the agencies wanted military experience so I left for the Legion (may have joined the UK mob but at the time the waiting list was over a year long) with about 50 quid of my money left. By the time I landed in Marseille in front of Fort Nicolas I was down to my last 3 pounds and shitting myself they wouldn't take me as I had no money left.

A lot of the guys in there were there as a result of Mr Murray's book.

Nick

PS: Turns out my French girlfriend's dad was in the Legion with Murray. Murray had left after five years whereas her dad had gone on to become an officer. He and Murray had stayed in touch so he arranged for Caroline to go to Hong Kong for an internship with Murray's company (Jardine if memory serves)
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Numbnuts Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Peter wrote:Simon Murray was in the Legion in the 50's I seem to remember. His book is interesting.

Cheers Peter,sounds a good read,will have to check it out.

Numbnuts

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum