Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about old SFUK article/post

2 posters

Go down

Question about old SFUK article/post Empty Question about old SFUK article/post

Post  John RH Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:09 am

Hi Dave I remember an article or post years ago on SFUK where you were talking about old time wrestlers.

You mentioned one of the old school guys who was practically vegetarian. Just wondered if you could remember who it was and what his main source of protein was.

Thanks

John RH

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2007-03-18

Back to top Go down

Question about old SFUK article/post Empty Re: Question about old SFUK article/post

Post  David Turton Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:54 am

Hi John in fact there were more than one who were veggies or near.. but maybe its in the description of what is a vegetarian

George Hackenshmidt ate mainly fruit and veg (mainly RAW) but drunk quite a lot of whole milk.. (I dont think they even KNEW how to skim it back then)
George could knock back 4-6 pints a day no sweats.

Karl Pojello would eat as above but included eggs.

there are quite a few other examples as well..

however their version of being a vegetarian would often include milk and/or eggs.

That would be their main sources...

thanks John .. hope you are well

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Question about old SFUK article/post Empty Re: Question about old SFUK article/post

Post  John RH Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Im well thanks but I've given up MMA deciding that 'discretion is the better bart of valour' after aggrevating an old leg injury a month or two back.

The reason I asked is that although I'm not a vegetarian I don't eat meat. Most of my protein comes from tinned salmon, tinned tuna, frozen white-fish or Quorn but I'm tweaking my diet a bit in order to lose a bit of weight.

So far, knocking out carbs except for spuds, sweet potato and porridge and gettign calories from fresh fruit and veg instead seems to be working but I thought it might be worth asking about the old wrestlers' diets

John RH

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Mind you John. some of them would eat ANYTHING..

I cant remember which one said it to me but the statement was;;

Whether its covered in Fur or feather or scales or leather .. I'll eat it

others were less easy going..

the thing with most of the Victorian and Edwradian eras wrestlers is that they ate most of their veg RAW....

However, I remember Harold Wrigley (Rasputin the mad Monk .. complete with monk's Cowl ).. he prefered a kind of 'stew' ... every veg he could throw in, he would.. it ended up like big hot pot with no meat.. actually it was bloody tasty.. he would eat platesful of it

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  John RH Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 am

Vegetable stew is great. The key to it is to include as many veg as possible and at least one with a strong flavour; e.g celery or parsnip

John RH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down