Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knuckle alignment

Go down

Knuckle alignment Empty Knuckle alignment

Post  Guest Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:47 am

Steve,

I’m not certain if this was covered before, here or in other areas of your writings (I can’t find it). But what is your preference for striking surface of the fist. With the straight punches of karate the first two knuckles are preferred. I learned to do this well and felt pretty solid as far as alignment goes. However it always “looked” wrong; kind of tilted. I felt that better alignment would be had with the middle knuckle but that felt awkward because it left no support (punching with a single knuckle seemed risky). I know that from my street fights I have tooth scars on both hands at my ring finger knuckles but I was fighting on instinct at the time and not learned mechanics. But it does feel comfortable in a boxing environment to punch more toward the middle and ring knuckles. In the past I’ve put a gallon plastic jug of water on a shelf to simulate a head to see how different hook punches align against a head. You can’t really use the first two knuckles unless you “karate up” the technique by raising and squaring off the elbow/forearm.

Also when you do your clawing or taking chunks/chopping punches, for me that feels better more toward the middle to pinky side. In a street altercation I think I would use what fit the bill at the time. With gloves on in an MMA environment (or boxing gloves) I find it doesn’t matter as much and most punches for me are middle and ring (more or less). Thoughts? Or has this been addressed already and where can I find it?

Thanks

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Knuckle alignment Empty Re: Knuckle alignment

Post  steve morris Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:07 am

steve morris
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Knuckle alignment Empty Re: Knuckle alignment