Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

video roll call (sticky version)

+18
Michael Siv
Nick Forrer
samurai69
Luciano Imoto
theycallme-Sam
paulb
the spaniard
Joe.K
arthur meek
MikeB
BN
Bryson Keenan
Sea Bass
aaronk
Ken Fortunato
Rob Mac
steve morris
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

video roll call (sticky version) Empty video roll call (sticky version)

Post  steve morris Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 am

I couldn’t make the original thread a sticky, had to start a new sticky topic which doesn’t allow me to bring over entire posts including your name, avatar, etc. So I had to cut and paste. So I have only brought over the clips and my responses so far. You guys can add to this thread as we go along—from here on out it will run normally.

Some people, Ken Fortunato and some others, said they would be posting clips, or adding more clips of themselves, at some point. Do it as you’re able to. I’ve had some trouble uploading to You Tube myself last couple of days. But let’s keep the clips coming. I’ll only comment on them if you ask me to. Otherwise, we’ll just consider them to be an introduction to you.

I’ll leave the old thread up, but I’ll lock it. Put all your new posts on this thread.

Here’s the original thread, edited...

I've mentioned before that when it comes to the Internet and forums, it bothers me that most of the time you can't see the guy who's posting. I'd like to be able to see who I'm talking to, and I'd like you to be able to see each other. I'm up there on You Tube, all nine million clips, so I'd like to see some of you guys post links to clips of yourself.

I'd like to see what you're doing in your current training. Doesn't have to be long and involved, and I'm not going to pick on you or be critical. It's just like if we were sitting at a table having a conversation, we'd be face to face. I want to see who you are.

And even if I know you, the other people on the forum might not. We seem to have a pretty international group who post here.

So let's see if we can set a precedent on the forums. I don't mind whether or not you use your real name, just as long as it's your real body.

And please, no videos of Bas, Vanderlei, Fedor, etc. Just the real deal. I'm serious on this one.

Stick it on this thread.

From Rob Mac: one of my students losing! the names are joke by the way!.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=batLeNcRukI

From Bryson Keenan: Sorry, but this one might be a bit 'traditional karate' for this forum (even though the point of the thing is to get these guys to 'unlearn' their WKF-ishness...!), but trust me, I'll put some heavier duty stuff up on the tube when I get some more video happening...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dt5HPQsd0o
PS, I'm the fat baldy guy...

From Tommy P: Some bag work thrown in at the end of my workout as a finish. Well a piece of it anyway...the last few seconds of a 5 minute round. And [url]HERE[/url] is the last go at the bag trying to squeeze a little more out after exhaustion.

From me: Tommy and Rob Mac, thanks for those clips.

You all know where to find my clips, https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stevemorrisnhb

With regard to clips not specific to your own training, let's not go there.

I see this as an opportunity to take the forum to another level. As it's my forum, there's an opportunity here for you to use video clips to ask me technical questions, and if I can respond in kind, then I will. Otherwise, I'll respond as I normally do, in writing.

I need to be able to see who I'm talking to. There are so many times in the past when I've had long discussions with people via e-mail only to find out that their written representation of themselves was very different to what they were like when I finally met them in person. And if I'd seen them in action before the conversation began, then it would have been a completely different conversation. The internet can be very misleading. But it doesn't have to be. You Tube is free and most of you have webcams. If you don't have one, borrow one.

So it's partly about me wanting to identify you as a martial arts practitioner.

But there's a second level to this thing, which is that we can use it as an instructional aid.

Sometimes when I answer questions, my hands are tied because I can't see you. ANd other times, I'll answer the question in theory, but then when I see the guy that asked me, it turns out there was a whole different issue that needed to be addressed and that he was asking the wrong question! My answer wasn't even relevant, because I hadn't seen the problem in the context of him as an individual.

Say for example a guy says to me, 'I want to be able to punch more tactically because I keep getting taken down,' I can tell him that. But if I meet him three weeks later and I find out he has a problem with stance or footwork, then the drills I might have suggested for punching aren't going to be relevant. We've got to get the questions and the answers in context. There's no need for ambiguity on either my part or yours.

So insofar as I can be an instructional resource for you, then I'm happy to do that within reason. This is an experiment.

Let's just lay out some ground rules. First of all, if somebody puts up a video and asks me a question, I'll answer it. Don't let's everybody jump in with their response. I don't mind if you discuss things on the forum in general; I encourage it as long as it stays on topic. But with regard to the clips, if somebody puts up a clip and asks for advice or whatever, I don't want everybody jumping in with their You Tube answers. Leave that to me.

Second, let's keep things on topic. This is a general point about my bit of the forum. If you post something that isn't on topic, please don't be offended if I take it off. I'll be cleaning this thread up to keep it relevant, and I'll generally do that on the site anyway. It's nothing personal. It's just housekeeping. There's too much bullshit on the internet and I want to keep this area informative.

Nothing wrong with photographs on the avatars, but specifically let's see if we can get some video representations of each of you training or teaching, as current as you can, as a baseline. And then if you have a specific question (for example, Tommy P your shoulder question would be a good example) then post that as a new topic and I'll get to it when I can.

Obviously, as with everything, my response time will vary.

For me and my guys, I shot some footage yesterday and I'll get that up asap. You'll see exactly what I'm doing up to the minute.

From Outcoldfightingclub.org:
and this is me getting a good clogging:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCYAPXfg54s

From Peter Skillen: some old footage here but i am putting some hi def stuff together for my new web site. www.academyts.co.uk

https://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/jedips/?action=view&current=bagwork_0001.flv

https://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/jedips/?action=view&current=kickboxing1.flv

From Shingami: I'm the odd one out in this regard as I do not own a digi cam, neither does anyone I know and I'm in no position to buy one otherwiseI'd jump at this chance. It really is great reasoning behind the whole video idea, I'll tryto see what I can do as soon as I can.

From roadkill: Here are 2 clips of me teaching a small clinic at a local school. It's not very exciting but I will try and put more together soon that will show me doing rather than teaching. This is a great Idea Steve and I do welcome any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPAIALTYwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJdO5er_So
steve morris
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

video roll call (sticky version) Empty Re: video roll call (sticky version)

Post  steve morris Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 am

Bryson, about your clip.

I’ve studied the ways by which force can be generated by boxers, Muay Thai fighters, the various schools of Chinese martial arts as well as those of Okinawa and Japan—not to mention tennis players, javelin throwers, discus throwers, shot-putters, baseball and cricket pitchers/hitters, footballers, and even guys who throw the Frisbee for that matter. If anybody’s been throwing or hitting anything, I’ve studied it. And they all in some way use the body to sequentially or simultaneously (or both) generate momentum from the body and transfer it to the active limb so as to increase the velocity of that limb and the subsequent impulse into the target (i.e., follow-through). So, the double hip, wave punching, double impacts, etc. are nothing new. These concepts used in martial arts are simply a re-adaptation of very familiar dynamic movement patterns that are seen across many sports.

The problem, though, in many martial arts is that the application of this concept becomes very stylized. The interpretation is often over-simplistic. I can see the reasons for that. Within systems, the idea needs to be expressed and taught in a very stereotypical way. This simplification might contain the principle of how the body might be loaded in a particular plane and how its potential energy might be released into a target at a specific angle, range, etc. However, the principle is often lost in teaching a motor-oriented movement pattern. The dynamics are often telegraphic, non-repetitive, and reliant on the assumption that the single strike in isolation will conclude the fight. We know that’s not true.

These one shot double hip wave form double impact moves could work in a pre-emptive strike, and they might even work within the fight itself. But my experience has taught me that nothing can be assumed (other than the worst). In other words: you’re going to miss. The shot’s going to have no effect. You’re going to be countered. Or you’ll be attacked before you even get your pre-emptive strike off. And that’s just the beginning of what can go wrong.

The principles of any dynamics you teach have to be applied by the individual from any position including the ground, from any level, angle, range, and within a time frame that’s realistic to the fight. There’s no such thing as an optimum way of loading, unloading, or following through. All you can understand, or teach, is the principle of how those components work. It’s more a case of why you’re doing something, than how. A lot of people get caught up in the detail.

When it comes to instructing people, there’s a tendency to begin instructing them before they’ve even moved a muscle, rather than letting them see what they can do. In all likelihood, some of them at least will be using natural movement patterns of loading and releasing without any instruction, just like throwing a ball or putting a shot. The instructional 'tip' of the dynamic comes in after, and it must be one that will enhance what they’re doing already if they’re moving naturally. Rather than substituting purely mechanical processes for the natural movement that’s already there.

And if they're not moving naturally because of say a karate background, then it's even more important not to put them in that mechanical mode. Better to get them to throw a ball at a wall to remember what they need to do, and get them out of their karate mindset.

These processes, the way by which the body dynamically loads and unloads are imparted by the process of natural selection. That’s how we survived as a species. These movements are reflex behavioural patterns that are hard-wired, which you adapt to situations.

Whatever process of movement you arrive at which is suitable for the individual (not so that it’s uniform throughout the group) has to be tested within some form of conditional fighting or dissimilar training. Otherwise you’re never going to know how to miss, or get punished for telegraphing your shot, or learn how to repeat a shot if necessary or switch to another shot in the same dynamic process of movement.

It’s been argued that the use of the foam pad or boxing mitt held to the chest helps the recipient of the blow to feel the impact so that the striker can get a feedback response. But these feedbacks are often questionable, and you get the feeling more than occasionally that what the guy’s saying is what the deliverer of the blow wants to hear. I.e., ‘I felt a white-hot ball of chi pass into my body.’

When using the foam pad/mitt held to the chest, there is often a push effect on the follow-through, so that the guy goes flying back. Again, there’s a lot of compliance here, and the blow is struck at an angle where the person often is unbalanced. And there is an implication, that if I can knock you back or make you run back, then if I hit you the effect is going to be devastating. But pushing and hitting are two different things. You’re not looking to displace the opponent, but to destroy the target, internally if it’s the body, or if it’s the head, to cause violent rotation. That’s the thing what puts him down. Doesn’t send him back. It drops him right in front of you.

That’s why you need to be able to angulate the body and make your deliveries from different angles. Because that’s how you penetrate the body without the opponent being able to absorb the shot (i.e., running back).

I would say that the clip contains elements that are relevant, but they need to be extended in a more dynamic, combative way. If you did that you would naturally end up with something resembling boxing, Muay Thai, etc. If you engaged the students at different levels and gave them all the principle, then they would all be going away with the principle and applying it according to their personal needs in a realistic situation. And you can never predict what that’s going to be, that’s why the role of the trainer is to show the student the principle and be able to show the student how the principle can be applied in many different ways, and then leave it to the individual. Give him his head, and let him work out how he’s going to use the information.

Another thing that I often see on these types of clips is that the hip movement is performed in isolation. Often in total isolation to the rest of the body. There’s no involvement of the head (which plays a key role in the development, release, follow-through and direction of a force), there’s no involvement of the rest of the body at all in a dynamic way. To release power requires total body movement. That’s mass velocity--mv. The bigger that mv is, as the limb tapers, the mass is converted to velocity, so the more you’re able to put into that limb, the more you get out. I’m not seeing the rest of the body going into that free limb. And I’m not seeing a drive-and-brake system so as to again, create mass velocity, that, when you put on brakes and reverse the process, force is exponentially increased—because with a drive-and-brake system you’ve now got two equal and opposite actions culminating in this release.

So this focus on the double hip exaggerates one small process out of a multitude of processes that contribute to producing destructive force. And when you extract one process and overfocus on it, not only does it become exaggerated and often a parody, but it’s done at the expense of the whole. And the whole is much more than the sum of its parts.

It’s good to see you’re doing angulation in there.

For the other readers, a lot of people get hooked into the details of these dynamics. There’s a thread going started by Tommy P, and really what you need to be thinking about is what are you trying to cause or prevent? The ‘how’ comes through practice, good direction, and testing. When I give you a tip, don’t concentrate on the tip. Concentrate on what you’re trying to do to the target. Let the tip go in, and then forget about it. Let your subconscious sort it out. Remember, I can punch effectively from any position and I can post on almost anything. Some positions are better than others, but once you understand the principle of interconnecting the body to load and release power into the target, then even in a bad position you can get off a pretty good shot.

In a fight, you don’t know what position you’re going to end up in when you get your chance to hit him.

And remember, a move is only valuable if the dynamics of it contribute to its repetition, or allow you to easily switch to another move. The body is designed so that one actions loads another, and you want to use that natural facility. Like in running, where one stride loads the next, you want to be hitting with a natural repetitive flow. You can interrupt it as you like, but there’s always this feeling of continuation and reloading.

Watch Thai fighters and watch boxers. They are using natural body dynamics in a combative way. They’re the ones I look to and analyze with regard to striking, so even if what you do has a karate-derived stylistic flavour, it’s essentially going to look like boxing/Muay Thai. If it doesn’t, then the natural dynamics are lacking.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:21 am

Tommy P, sorry about this but we couldn't link to your clips. Can you repost please?
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:33 am

From Tommy P: Some bag work thrown in at the end of my workout as a finish. Well a piece of it anyway...the last few seconds of a 5 minute round.
http://www.kennyf.com/tommy/tom01.wmv

And here is the last go at the bag trying to squeeze a little more out after exhaustion. http://www.kennyf.com/tommy/tom02.wmv

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks Tommy.

Finally got Sunday's clip up after a few glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcClpVRYLM

Some of the guys from this forum are there:

Rob Dick
Rory
Jon Law
artinmotion aka Rob
Paul Bartley

Also some other guys who haven't posted here, but if they do in the future then you have a reference.

It's just a small sample of the standup and ground warmup. I shot some more video but for now this will give you a taste.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:03 am

Forgot to put Arthur Meek on the list of guys who post here that are on the above clip.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:27 am

Peter, thanks for your clips.

The clip I put up for Primal isn't intended as promotion. We'd have included much more if that had been the case. It was just to get the guys names and faces up there, and to give you a taste of the way they train.

I already see there's some criticism of the validity of the type of warmup that we do without actually seeing the whole. Prior to the warmups, we actually went through how each part of the body contributes to a particular skill. Then with that information in mind, we set about doing our standup warmup and then move on to the ground. The guy isn't just aimlessly moving around. He's concentrating on the ways his head, his shoulders, elbows, hands, torso, waist, hips, legs, feet all contribute to the dynamics and the tactic that he's employing. He isn't just blindly moving around.

I'll be filming the entire warmup at some point to put out on DVD. This clip is purely to introduce the guys and to show the way our group training differs from much group training out there. They're working as individuals. So if they go into a club somewhere else, they can work out for themselves. THey don't need anybody to organize them.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Critisms ?

That warm up was better than most gyms' entire training seesions ( especially those of the TMA type ) .

Their warm ups mostly consists of useless crap with a bit of stretching thrown - virtually all non functional and boring to boot . Most of it will put you to sleep before the main session.

The critics probably don't understand the moves at hand , how all of it are integral to fighting skills - all rolled into 1 exercise.

Great clip / great warm up , wish I lived closer.

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et7jswnJxiA This is one of my students/training partners winning. Not exactly relevant but it shows the kind of stuff we do and also Chris had only trained for 12 months prior having never studied a martial art before hand and being 32 years old. This is the 2nd roundboth are knackered and to befair to the other guy he did well in the 1st. Some clips of us sparring/training comin soon. Any critisms welcome if you think you could do better Wink Sorry again for poor quality.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 am

Thanks for that clip, Rob.

A couple of people have asked me for feedback, but in hindsight I think that might discourage people from putting up their clips. I don't actually want to get into criticising or evaluating, I just want everyone on the forum to see what each other are doing. And leave it at that.

Like I said, this is an experiment. It might work, it might not. Let's just keep this thread strictly a roll call.

So I'm not going to be evaluating/critiquing clips. But I do want to see them.

Guys from Primal and my other guys: I'll be onto you soon to ask you to put your clips up. Let's see if we can get everybody represented and set a precedent for other boards.

Thanks.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:40 am

Cool

Last edited by Ken Fortunato on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronk Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:26 am

Hi new here...been reading the forum for a while now. realy enjoy it! but never posted before.

This is me.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=gGRiPQzkfXo

aaronk

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:30 am

hey great work man , what weight class are you ?

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronk Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am

thanks. 145lbs or 65.8:)

aaronk

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks Aaron, great clip and welcome to the forum.

Come on guys, keep 'em coming...
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sea Bass Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:40 am

This is a clip of me hitting the bag. I hope this works (I'm cpu illiterate)LOL

https://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/victortcarter/?action=view&current=DSCN1352.flv
Sea Bass
Sea Bass

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.myspace.com/asphaltcombatives

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronk Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:44 am

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzk8ykRExzc

another one from me....
feedback welcome Smile

aaronk

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks for both those posts.

Aaron, what can I say? You're doing it, and doing great by the looks of it.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryson Keenan Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry I haven't been back in here for a while, but the real world calls now and again!

Thanks for the comments; I have responded in the text below...

steve morris wrote:Bryson, about your clip.
...the double hip, wave punching, double impacts, etc. are nothing new. These concepts used in martial arts are simply a re-adaptation of very familiar dynamic movement patterns that are seen across many sports.
The problem, though, in many martial arts is that the application of this concept becomes very stylized. The interpretation is often over-simplistic. I can see the reasons for that. Within systems, the idea needs to be expressed and taught in a very stereotypical way. This simplification might contain the principle of how the body might be loaded in a particular plane and how its potential energy might be released into a target at a specific angle, range, etc. However, the principle is often lost in teaching a motor-oriented movement pattern. The dynamics are often telegraphic, non-repetitive, and reliant on the assumption that the single strike in isolation will conclude the fight. We know that’s not true.

Indeed we do know that's not true. Please don't get caught up in the 'Karate context' of this particular clip. I know you have a 'thing' with the karate world, but my intent is to 'work from the inside', as it were... Build a bit of rapport, etc., rather than rush in in tell them that what they do is bollocks...(!). The purpose of the exercise in this instance is just to get these WKF-sport-karate folk to extend their strikes. Once we have some impact going and they understand that their isn't anything wrong with the theory behind what they are doing, just the application, then we will move on to things a bit more outside their paradigm...

steve morris wrote:These one shot double hip wave form double impact moves could work in a pre-emptive strike, and they might even work within the fight itself. But my experience has taught me that nothing can be assumed (other than the worst). In other words: you’re going to miss. The shot’s going to have no effect. You’re going to be countered. Or you’ll be attacked before you even get your pre-emptive strike off. And that’s just the beginning of what can go wrong.

Again, please don't be thinking that I am trying to teach the 'one-punch, one-kill' theory here... All this is is focussing on the mechanics of one skill (the digest nature of the clip doesn't show that this was four minutes of a three hour session covering alot more ground...)

steve morris wrote:The principles of any dynamics you teach have to be applied by the individual from any position including the ground, from any level, angle, range, and within a time frame that’s realistic to the fight. There’s no such thing as an optimum way of loading, unloading, or following through. All you can understand, or teach, is the principle of how those components work. It’s more a case of why you’re doing something, than how. A lot of people get caught up in the detail.

While I agree with everything you are saying here, I also think there is a case for skills development prior to letting loose with the whole shebang; this four minutes of time was just a bit of that skills development...

steve morris wrote:When it comes to instructing people, there’s a tendency to begin instructing them before they’ve even moved a muscle, rather than letting them see what they can do. In all likelihood, some of them at least will be using natural movement patterns of loading and releasing without any instruction, just like throwing a ball or putting a shot. The instructional 'tip' of the dynamic comes in after, and it must be one that will enhance what they’re doing already if they’re moving naturally. Rather than substituting purely mechanical processes for the natural movement that’s already there. And if they're not moving naturally because of say a karate background, then it's even more important not to put them in that mechanical mode. Better to get them to throw a ball at a wall to remember what they need to do, and get them out of their karate mindset.

In a perfect world, that would indeed be valid. Problem here is, these guys are so very entrenched in what it is that they do that they close their minds to things like MMA and RBSD and indeed to what we might think of as being natural movement (!). Leave them sink in their own ignorance, one might say, but I have made it a personal goal to wean them off of their dependance on the 'do' form; I have chosen to work from the inside of the karate paradigm outwards in order to achieve that goal. I am starting to see some success, so I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater quite yet...

steve morris wrote:These processes, the way by which the body dynamically loads and unloads are imparted by the process of natural selection. That’s how we survived as a species. These movements are reflex behavioural patterns that are hard-wired, which you adapt to situations.

Hmmm. I go back to my point about skills development. While I understand your base premise here, surely you are not advocating that the hard-wired-reactive-wild-flailing is the model for skills development?

steve morris wrote:Whatever process of movement you arrive at which is suitable for the individual (not so that it’s uniform throughout the group) has to be tested within some form of conditional fighting or dissimilar training. Otherwise you’re never going to know how to miss, or get punished for telegraphing your shot, or learn how to repeat a shot if necessary or switch to another shot in the same dynamic process of movement.

I think you have answered my last question here. Yes, I agree that individual movement will by definition vary in form, but I would contend that apart from slight variations in anatomy, human bodies move in much the same way and that movement can (and must, in this instance) be optimised. It would be nice to have the luxury of being able to do this for every individual in one-on-one coaching; I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how to deal with this 'individuality of movement' issue when teaching group classes...

As far as dissimilar training goes; I agree wholeheartedly. Even with these karate characters, we introduce elements of other striking types, grappling, etc. We will get them there eventually; trust me...! Wink

steve morris wrote:It’s been argued that the use of the foam pad or boxing mitt held to the chest helps the recipient of the blow to feel the impact so that the striker can get a feedback response. But these feedbacks are often questionable, and you get the feeling more than occasionally that what the guy’s saying is what the deliverer of the blow wants to hear. I.e., ‘I felt a white-hot ball of chi pass into my body.’

Hehe.

steve morris wrote:When using the foam pad/mitt held to the chest, there is often a push effect on the follow-through, so that the guy goes flying back. Again, there’s a lot of compliance here, and the blow is struck at an angle where the person often is unbalanced. And there is an implication, that if I can knock you back or make you run back, then if I hit you the effect is going to be devastating. But pushing and hitting are two different things. You’re not looking to displace the opponent, but to destroy the target, internally if it’s the body, or if it’s the head, to cause violent rotation. That’s the thing what puts him down. Doesn’t send him back. It drops him right in front of you.

Again, this exercise was simply to get them to extend their punch through the target, not to demonstrate some mystical 'power of chi'...

Actually there is only one guy being a wee bit 'compliant', as he had been hit before and was a bit sheepish. The fact that alot of classical MAists out there do indeed tend to be a bit compliant (especially Aikidoka, but they are not alone...) is actually the driver behind getting these guys to actually impact.

Finally, yes, I agree completely that displacement does not equal damage. Trust me; we get to the damage bit a little later on... Wink

steve morris wrote:That’s why you need to be able to angulate the body and make your deliveries from different angles. Because that’s how you penetrate the body without the opponent being able to absorb the shot (i.e., running back).

Absolutely. You will note that I mention this in the clip.

steve morris wrote:I would say that the clip contains elements that are relevant, but they need to be extended in a more dynamic, combative way. If you did that you would naturally end up with something resembling boxing, Muay Thai, etc.

I look forward to putting some more up for you. As I have harped on here, this was simply development of one skill (and not even that skill in its entirety). Funny you should see this as wholly in a 'karate' context, as I am actually a Muay Thai instructor (!) also. As I said, I hope you will see where this fits in context once I put some more clips up (please don't get blinded by the gi!) Wink

steve morris wrote:If you engaged the students at different levels and gave them all the principle, then they would all be going away with the principle and applying it according to their personal needs in a realistic situation. And you can never predict what that’s going to be, that’s why the role of the trainer is to show the student the principle and be able to show the student how the principle can be applied in many different ways, and then leave it to the individual. Give him his head, and let him work out how he’s going to use the information.

Hopefully subsequent clips will show you that what I teach is actually principles-based, natrual-body-movement-based, etc.

steve morris wrote:Another thing that I often see on these types of clips is that the hip movement is performed in isolation. Often in total isolation to the rest of the body. There’s no involvement of the head (which plays a key role in the development, release, follow-through and direction of a force), there’s no involvement of the rest of the body at all in a dynamic way. To release power requires total body movement. That’s mass velocity--mv. The bigger that mv is, as the limb tapers, the mass is converted to velocity, so the more you’re able to put into that limb, the more you get out. I’m not seeing the rest of the body going into that free limb.

I'd beg to differ here; not with the principle, but that the body isn't going into the free limb... I make a point of whole-of-body involvement, rather than punching with the hands alone... Perhaps the fact I am going at a reduced pace for the purposes of demonstrating the mechanics doesn't put that across...

steve morris wrote:And I’m not seeing a drive-and-brake system so as to again, create mass velocity, that, when you put on brakes and reverse the process, force is exponentially increased—because with a drive-and-brake system you’ve now got two equal and opposite actions culminating in this release.

I am not sure I am getting your concept here; might you have a demo clip of this I can see? I don't understand how 'braking and reversing the process' adds to the mass going forward into the target...(?)

steve morris wrote:So this focus on the double hip exaggerates one small process out of a multitude of processes that contribute to producing destructive force. And when you extract one process and overfocus on it, not only does it become exaggerated and often a parody, but it’s done at the expense of the whole. And the whole is much more than the sum of its parts.

Shit; I sound like a broken record here... Wink There isn't a 'focus' on the double-hip... This is a four minute grab on one skill....

steve morris wrote:It’s good to see you’re doing angulation in there.

Geez; at least I am doing something right... Wink

Although I think earlier on you said I didn't...! Wink

I look forward to putting some more clips up - obviously I'll have to get out of the gi to avert your natural tendency to baulk at all things TMA Wink

Thanks again for the considered comments; I look forward to further exchange...

Best regards,

Bryson
Bryson Keenan
Bryson Keenan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Bryson, I’ve got no problem with people wearing gis, just usually a problem with what they're doing in them. I've always found the gi to be a practical garment—here’s a couple of photos of me in one. In the one photo, I'm the guy on the top (that's a standing jump by the way).

[url]
https://servimg.com/view/11913030/3[/url]

https://servimg.com/view/11913030/4

I’m looking under the gi, Bryson.

If you have a mission, that's all very well. The reason for this thread is to have clips of people that are representative of them and how they train and/or fight. So if this isn’t representative of what you’re really doing, then I can’t understand why you put it up. I wasn’t going to remark on it, but you asked for specific feedback.

This is one of the reasons why I’ve decided not to give feedback anymore on this thread. I don’t want it to turn into a critiquing session. I just want to see what everybody’s doing and I want everybody else to see what each other is doing. It’s that simple.

There are a whole bunch of points here, and I'll try to get a more specific response up sometime with regard to double hip, skills acquisition, braking, etc. But for now I'd rather see a clip that's more 'you'.

And for the others who haven't put up clips yet...hello??...if you post on this forum then I want to see your clip, whoever you are and wherever you're from.
steve morris
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryson Keenan Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Point taken. Just so you don't think I was just being defensive in my response, the clip IS indicative of what I am doing in that context; no question. So, if we agree to disagree on the what that's all about, so be it. But yes, it was only a focus on one skill, in its context, and I will point you in the direction of some more in due course. Not a problem about the critique; always happy to challenge myself and be challenged by others! Otherwise we'd have no progression, yeah?! So, thanks again for your candor and I will get back to you shortly.

Best regards,

Bryson
Bryson Keenan
Bryson Keenan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:31 am

Edited

Last edited by Bloody Nuisance on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:20 am

Couple of clips of me training with some mates. Feel free to take the piss lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBO4LMDEt8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MZT4CU8g8

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

video roll call (sticky version) Empty video roll call

Post  arthur meek Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sllp2iQ6G9E&feature=related
Here you are guys an introduction so you can put a face and a body to the name. Although its titled kickboxing I must say the training has been inspired by the visits to Primal and the Morris Method of intense training.
The guy doing my web site puts it up on you tube and just puts a title as he goes along. So 'anything goes' could be a more apt heading.

arthur meek

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

Can you imagine someone from a non mma background coming in and seeing you with that medicine ball!! Good stuff mate.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next