Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Presence

2 posters

Go down

Presence Empty Presence

Post  BN Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 am

Hi Nick,

I'd be curious to know what your take is on "presence." In one of the other threads, you mentioned how if you and Mick Coup had been present instead of the victims, nothing would have happened.I then piped up and said "but you are both very big and intimdating," you countered by citing Malcolm Anderson, Tony Quinn and some others as being not particularly large men, but intimidating nonetheless.

I remember reading in some of Geoff Thompson's work that he was adamant that a very confident person wouldn't be chosen for attack/bother ect. I personally am not so sure as I am not so sure that it is so cut and dried.

However, there seem to be people who have this way about them. In your experience are there people who are never "fooked with" regardless of size, is there this "presence" that some people have that keeps trouble at bay? Or is it a myth?

BN
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Presence Empty Re: Presence

Post  Nick Hughes Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Mate,

I don't think there's any question that this presence exists. There's a cop here, not a big lad, but every other cop is "terrified" of him (for want of a better word given that they like and respect him). I've asked his colleagues to define it and they all say, just look at his eyes.

Haven't you ever seen the small guy that nobody wants to mess with? I mentioned this already with Tony & Malcolm...they're very average size wise but people were absolutely intimidated by them...especially the latter.

What about certain dogs that aren't big but who give off an aura of "come near me and I'll bite?"

Never heard the "oh, there's just something about him...I can't quite put my finger on it?"

What it is is another question entirely. In my experience it usually eminates from the eyes first and posture/carriage second. From conversations with people about others who have it, it the eyes almost always seem to be the first thing mentioned.

It doesn't only apply to fighting though. What is 'star quality?" Why is it fifty people can walk into a room and nobody looks and then one person with the above and/or charisma can walk in and the whole place stops and turns and looks? That, to my way of thinking is "presence."

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your answer.

Were the examples you mentioned even trying to be intimidating or does it just seap out regardless?
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Not at all...most of those I know are like that normally...if they turn it on, it's even worse. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:43 am

Bloody Hell!
BN
BN