Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abstinance

2 posters

Go down

Abstinance Empty Abstinance

Post  BN Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:17 am

Hi Nick,

I'd like to ask you if you think there is a significant connection between abstinance and self defence. I ask because on your mindset thread you mention developing self discipline outside the dojo as well as inside.

Geoff Thompson also made much of developing an iron will through abstaining from bad habits, vices and so on.

However, I am not 100% convinced. I can see the benefits of leading a clean lifestyle in terms of developing self esteem and confidence. But I do feel that if one is doing this to be more effective in a violent confrontation, it may be simply dipping one's toe in the periphery of the pool rather than taking the plunge and tackling the problem head on.

What would your viewpoint be?

Another though just occured, were the truly tough men you've met and fought beside, and trained beside abstemious in their lifestyles? If not, I think it would be a good argument for the case against abstinance as a tool toward self protection.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Abstinance Empty Re: Abstinance

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Jesus...nothing like an easy question then eh? Very Happy

Briefly, yes, I think disciplining the mind is working it like working any other muscle and that discipline will pay off.

I'm going to digress here for a moment. I'm always coming up with theories that my friends and family mock. Years later some scientist pops up and confirms I was right. One example was crosswords and puzzles. I've done them for years convinced if I did I'd never get Alzheimer's because I'm working the mind and not letting it atrophy.

Ha ha, said the ex, family and friends. Well, a few years ago they discovered just that. If you work puzzles and continually strive to learn you have a much reduced risk of losing your mental faculties as you grow older.

So, my take is that the discipline you put yourself through will carry over. Isn't that one of the advantages of military training? People will apply the discipline learned in the services to their every day life?

Ergo, back to my yes. I don't think it can be a bad thing. Disciplining yourself to do certain things can only help during training and fighting etc.

Now, having said all that tons of the hardest fookers I've ever met were whoring, swearing, and drinking bastids so I'd be more inclined to go along with your take on the subject.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum