Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* Snappier jab *

4 posters

Go down

* Snappier jab * Empty * Snappier jab *

Post  WhatThe... Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Nick,

Looking to get more snap in my jab. Just isn't the punch that it might be, particularly when I tire. Anything that you can offer in the way of a suggestion please.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

* Snappier jab * Empty Re: * Snappier jab *

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Mate,

I don't use them. I used to when I boxed but in the ring with a big glove on they're more a point scoring technique and a setup than anything else.

Outside in the street I've used the lead hand punch a slew of times with great results but that's a punch and not a jab. I put everything I can into it using the principle of "jar" as in "the jarring impact broke the driver's neck."

I'm also not usually throwing them when I'm tired. Training to that point is training for muscular endurance...street fights should be over before you get tired (ideally) so I tend to work shorter more explosive workouts.

some good ways to up your speed though are...

do plyometric pushups i.e. push up off the ground, slap your chest with both hands before returning them to catch yourself.

Have a partner hold a focus mitt, if he sees you move he yanks the pad out the way...this will help you eliminate telegraph. Make sure he gives you dialogue i.e. what did he notice that gave you away?

Think fast

Try and retract the punch twice as fast as you throw it out.

Hope those help

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

* Snappier jab * Empty Another question on left hand punch

Post  WhatThe... Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:05 pm

Nick,

Thanks for your answer regarding the left hand punch.

Just want to establish the actual mechanics that you employ for this punch.

The way I've been taught the straight left is as a jab (ala Western boxing). The basics being that the fist comes off the jaw, the elbow is kept tucked in, the arm flicks out straight and the fist rotates 90 degrees in transit to the target. As you would know if employed well this technique can result in a handy punch, but rarely a KO.

1/ How do you go about the mechanics of the left hand punch?
2/ In a simple fight scenario (if there is such a thing!), do you advocate using the most powerful hand shot available first ie if the right is a person's best shot do recommend that they fire it off first wherever possible? Or do you see a case for setting up with the non-dominant hand (the left in mine & most cases?

Cheers.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:45 am

Well, my hand never sits on or near my jaw. When you do this, all someone has to do is punch your hand and it has the same effect as being punched in the chops anyway. My left is held forward of my jaw about eight to ten inches.

I don't flick it out at all. It's a rapier like thrust done while shuffling the front foot forward a few inches, or stamping it in place, depending on whether I'm hunting him or he's charging in at me. I put everything I can into it and throw it as hard and fast as possible. I tend not to rotate the fist very much at all (see my post on GTs about natural hand positions and pointing). Also, unlike a jab in boxing which only has to brush the face to score a point, I throw mine like I'm trying to punch through his head and hit the back of his neck.

Re fight scenarios...as you correctly implied, there all different, and it's going to depend on what the situation is. I've used lefts first a lot but last Friday there was an incident at work and I drilled the guy with a right first.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilJ Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi

When I taught Pangamut we used to use a stick to speed up punches.

If I was trying to get you to be more snappy with your jab, I would place a pad on my left hand and a stick in my right. When you hit the pad with your jab the instant I hear the crack of your punch on the pad I would try to hit your arm with stick. This stops your jab sticking on the pad otherwise you get hit!!

Just one method of many I is sure Laughing
NeilJ
NeilJ

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Line of Eld Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:08 pm

When you are jabbing a pad, try listening to the sound of the impact. It should be a short 'crack' sound.

Maybe it's just a matter of isolating your jab and working on it more intensively for a while.

The other thing that occurs is that before I did Muay Thai I would rotate my hips more when I was jabbing. Now I stand a little more square and don't exagerate the rotation as much. Maybe it's less powerful, but I recover faster and it is more of a piston in-out movement. I use the jab for defensive purposes and as a prelude to other attacks.
Line of Eld
Line of Eld

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum