Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your pro boxing record?

3 posters

Go down

Your pro boxing record? Empty Your pro boxing record?

Post  si5 Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:59 am

Hi Nick
over on Dave Ts forum, you stated you boxed as a pro.

Just intersted what your record was, when you fought etc.

Was you any good Very Happy any video clips you can post, im sure everyone would love to see them!!

I love boxing and im just being nosey mate Cool
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

Your pro boxing record? Empty Re: Your pro boxing record?

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 am

I've got the exact year (singular, not plural) somewhere in an email that I got from the boxing folks in Oz (they keep all the stats on records going back donkey's years)

I had some guy question the validity of the statement so I dug it up to shut him up.

I worked at the time with an Australian pro boxer (held 3 different titles in 2 different weight divisions - i.e. he was on the cusp of two weight divisions and was only 17 at the time so he held a junior title, a senior title and then ate a few plates of spag, went up a weight division and won there as well. His name, for the record, is Jeff White and he's a bit of a legend amongst old time boxers in Oz)

He was bouncing to make ends meet (another example of a boxer with no business acumen ripped off by his managers/agents etc) and, when I broke my ankle on a motorcycle he worked with me on getting my hands up to speed (I'd always cosidered myself a kicker and favoured legs when fighting)

Once my ankle was healed enough to walk on (but not enough to pivot and kick on) we began working out. I sparred at his gym and kept knocking training partners out so he lined up an amateur fight. I won that one in the 2nd round and then he lined up a pro fight against a heavy weight aboriginal called "Billy Bush" (don't put much stock in the name. The rules in boxing were, if you were knocked out, you weren't allowed to box for six months. The aboriginals lived on reserves and, race relations being what they were, nobody really minded what happened to them, so they got around the no fighting for six months by fighting under aliases every other week...who knows what "Billy's real name was?)

I beat him on a TKO in the 3rd round of a six round match and was paid $45 for my troubles. I earned $120 but after a cut went to my trainer and some more to the corner men etc I was left with less than I'd make on one night on the door. I was also frustrated with the fact that despite hitting the fooker repeatedly he kept coming (unlike the street where I usually hit people once and kayoed them) so I told Jeff "nada mas for me."

I did jump back in the ring when kick boxing was developed to help out the night William Cheung turned up with two Samoan boxing champs who he labeled kung fu kick boxers (boxing champs he'd' taught how to front kick) I got that guy with a TKO as well (hmmm, I'm detecting a pattern here) and Dave Berry knocked his guy out. (you can search that story here in more detail as I answered a question about Dave for someone and I think that story was covered. I got paid prize money for that one as well which I think was less than what I made boxing lol!

The last time I did the gloves thing was in the Legion in an ad hoc boxing between the companies crap. I beat my Icelandic opponent but alas, there was no money forthcoming so that was not "pro" status.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  si5 Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 am

lol!

Thanks mate! its a tough game thats for sure
si5
si5

Number of posts : 947
Registration date : 2006-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:37 am

Oh yes...I have a ton of respect for boxers. My elder brother Tony, who I began my bouncing career under, warned me "there are a lot of traditional martial artists who will tell you beating a boxer is easy. It's not. They can take a punch and they're phenomenally fit...be careful of them."

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Your pro boxing record? Empty Jeff White

Post  WhatThe... Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Jeff White was an excellent local (Oz) fighter who campaigned between Featherweight and Light Middleweight for 26 Wins (11 KO’s) from 36 fights. He held national titles at Welterweight, Lightweight & Super Featherweight, and twice fought for Commonwealth titles. Amongst his final opponents were Rocky Mattiolli, who went on to win a world title, and Hector Thompson (another aboriginal Nick), a Commonwealth title holder.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Yep, Hard all the way round and an absolute gentleman to boot.

It was so sad to see how everyone ripped him off. I picked him up once from the caravan he lived in. His wife was a former model and still gorgeous and he had a couple of kids and not a pot to piss in. They'd taken it all from him.

Still a wicked fighter when I worked with him...I watched him drop people on a few occasions and it was technically perfect.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I just received a great gift...a mate of mine was moving (due to a baby on the way and needing a bigger house) and during the move he found some of my old photo albums in his attic which he sent to me.

In it I found some of the pics from one of the fights. Second I can get them cleaned up and scanned I'll post them here. You will get a kick out of the non regulation boxing shorts, the non regulation boxing boots, the odd coloured socks and shite...I actually had hair then.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum