Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elbow

+3
alban
Stalker
Jeff Menapace
7 posters

Go down

Elbow Empty Elbow

Post  Jeff Menapace Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:09 am

Hi Lee

What are your thoughts on the usefullness of elbows? It seems like this forum is split down the middle. Some rate elbows highly and have used them with success, while others think they are more of a rainy day technique that are diffiuclt to apply in real situations.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Menapace
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Elbow Empty Re: Elbow

Post  Stalker Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:38 am

Hope you dont mind me butting in here guys!

While in the bulletman suit I have been hit with pre-emptive elbow strikes numerous times, some glance off and dont have great effect, however both myself and Dik have been knocked off our feet with these shots and seen stars at the same time - definate fightstoppers!

So I guess its down to training the strike as much as poss to make it effective in a real 'go'

Having said that the guy that nearly knocked me out with an elbow 3 weeks ago said he doesnt train elbow that much - good news for me I feel!! affraid

Cheers

Chris
Stalker
Stalker

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.fastdefence.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alban Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:14 am

elbow is one of my favorite strikes comes out all the time and train it a lot as well. Cool
alban
alban

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2006-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  simon alpin Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:27 am

i think the elbow is a devestating tool, with proper body mechanics you can generate devestating power, obviously if you hit someone in the face it's gonna open them up, but its one of those tools that wherever you make contact on your opponent your gonna put some hurt on him, one of my favorite tools Twisted Evil Sad

simon alpin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  paul scothern Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am

hey simon hows things in thailand going?

paul scothern

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Grannon Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:21 am

sorry to jump in!

jeff you say the forum is split on elbows... the forum is split between people who believe in spending lots of time developing more refined skills and those who are more of the berserker, high redundancy, adrenaline overload "murderdeathkill" school of thought Razz

i like elbows, they have worked for me, but i do spend quite a bit of time practising... even round the house, when im on the phone, when im cooking or whatever i will practise them... because i am a nerd! lol!
Richard Grannon
Richard Grannon

Number of posts : 1224

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Grannon Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:23 am

i think my point was, that it depend on how much time you want to spend on them.

BUT

do you really NEED them? depends on your training objectives

sorry for jumping in there Wink
Richard Grannon
Richard Grannon

Number of posts : 1224

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Menapace Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:33 am

No worries Rich, I always enjoy your input.

At my age and stage of the game I already have a good idea of what works for me. I just like to pick the brains of as many folks on this board as I can Very Happy

Jeff
Jeff Menapace
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  simon alpin Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 am

hey paul how you doing, im back in southampton at the moment , but im off back to thailand at the end of this month, will probably see you at lee's class b4 i head back, take it easy Very Happy Razz cheers

simon alpin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  alban Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 am

Hey Simon good to see you here mate. how's things?
see you at Lee's class.
take care Alban Smile
alban
alban

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2006-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Morrison Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:22 am

Hi there
from my experience the elbow strike is a superb tool from close quarters, more as a follow up tool tool via attachment than as a starter for ten, althougth I've had success with both. The Range from where the elbow is ideal to where it becomes unworkable, unless you create the space to use it via secondary means, can be lost in a blink. From here your end up at ECQ and will literally have to peel the fucker off you in order to employ any tool, hence my preferance as a follow up shot. In terms of damage created, the head/face/throat/apex of the neck are the most efficient, again level of force to level of threat, rake accross the face to open it up, or drop weight and penetrate in all cases strike with the point of the elbow not the forearm. Remember the forearm will irriate, the point of the elbow can devastate. Just my take
Peace

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum