Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response

+7
Sean M
xm15nytyme
Socrates
Rob Mac
kaarl
Nick Hughes
ManchesterBudo
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Response Empty Response

Post  ManchesterBudo Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm

I think we should all chip in and design a self protection t-shirt and give them away every year to people on the forum such as "most prolific poster" "best post" "funniest post" and so on.
Can I have "dick of the week"? I was "on one" when I wrote that last post and you were dragged into my bitch-fest Im afraid.

In response to your post on Mick's Q&A.

Would an egotistical man put on a white belt - after earning a black belt in one brilliant fighting system - and go sit on the mat and get tossed around in a Judo club playing by their rules? Would he put on another white belt and sit in a Ju-jutsu club and go through the same "humiliation" Would he climb in a boxing ring as a neophyte? Would he enter in tournaments as a 5th dan and risk losing it all? Would he join a Wing Chun club as a beginner again? Would he then join an Aikido club as a white belt and work through the ranks? Would he then do that in another Aikido club? Would he then leave his ego at the door and enter in to training in the Philipino martial arts?

Now I cant find it on your post history (maybe you know the thread I mean) but you've definitely written a long post recently about how you turned up at a TKD gym and kicked the crap out of both the instructors. I distinctly remember you saying that you'd foot swept them a lot. I was going to reply at the time (I only read it a few dayas ago) but didnt get the chance. I was going to ask you about whether you think that the rules at a Judo club etc are as bendable? It just seems to me that you went to their gym but fought by your rules. Unless I misread the post..I cant find it now to reread it.

As far as me & you - I doubt we're gonna agree on many things.
Instinctive fighting is BS plain and simple.
aren't we, humans, at the top of the food chain? Why the fook would I want to fight like an animal

This flies in the face of so much of what Ive read and experienced first hand. The aknowledgment that adrenaline has an enormous affect on performance was one of the main reasons I started looking at and training in RBSD.

I think that with enough fight experience you reduce the stress and adrenaline dump during pre-fight and maybe you end up having, essentially, a NHB sport fight.

I do have a genuine question though - If you wouldnt mind.
to distinguish between realistic training methods such as scenario work, actually hitting objects, dealing with stress, pre-fight cues etc
Im curious after reading this (you wrote it in response to someone questioning the term "reality based self defense". If you dont believe in gross motor or mental log jam then what "affects of stress" are you teaching people to deal with?

Once again I apologise for getting a bit personal in the last post as Ive already said on Mick's Q&A I was a bit angry at a nice offer of free "tuition" being torn to peices for, from what I can gather, no good reason.
ManchesterBudo
ManchesterBudo

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2006-08-15

http://www.geocities.com/manchesterbudo/

Back to top Go down

Response Empty Re: Response

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 pm

I was going to reply at the time (I only read it a few dayas ago) but didnt get the chance. I was going to ask you about whether you think that the rules at a Judo club etc are as bendable? It just seems to me that you went to their gym but fought by your rules. Unless I misread the post..I cant find it now to reread it.

Ben,

In response to the TKD post...it was in the General section under honesty from students...and that the 2IC at teh TKD club had given me the only honest answer as to why he didn't come and train instead of excuses like other people.

Just to fill you in on some background info; my brother and I had been invited down for the express reason to show them "our" stuff. Paul, the undercover narcotics officer, had met us (and the rest of the Jones crew) while doing undercover deals in clubs where we worked. He'd also heard of us through Noel Hattwell (who you may remember from my post on GTs) who was one of our black belts and a police inspector.

On the night in question my brother called to say he couldn't make it due to having a dose of the shits so I ended up going on my own.

When I do Judo, I only do Judo. When I did Tae Kwan Do myself, I did not do any sweeps as they weren't on the card. (one of the reasons I liked Zen Do Kai so much was that anything went) but, when invited to compare our stuff to theirs as guests of theirs, why would I not use sweeps etc? In fact the only guy out of order that night was the head instructor who, angry at having been beaten, asked for round two and tried to sneak a (full power) kick in the balls in (I guess someone had told him once how effective they are).

Fair enough?

As far as me & you - I doubt we're gonna agree on many things.

...and that's what forums are for. I posted on Hock's the other day about vive la difference. Imagine if we all liked the same thing? We'd have one car, in one color, one tv show, one flavored milkshake and one political party...no thanks.

Re instinctive fighting and fighting like animals. Untrained people fight instinctively do they not? I've trained my whole life so I can beat them...and I have been doing so successfully for years. If instinctive fighting is so damned good why is everyone paying money to train? Are you seriously telling me you're paying money to train in how to fight instinctively????? It should be instinctive shouldn't it? I honestly can't see how this is a serious question.

Second point re animals. Kung Fu - with the exception of Wing Chun - all fight in styles based on the movement of certain animals such as preying mantis, monkey, tiger, crane etc. I've beaten all of those guys that I've ever fought as well so I've never really rated the whole argument.

Again, does it make sense to fight as an animal does when we don't have the same attributes as the animal in question. Tigers weigh in the vicinity of 900 pounds and have claws like a fist full of kitchen knives...I weigh about 280 pounds and have fingernails that break when I peel a fucking orange. Should I seriously try and emulate the tiger in combat? Snakes have nothing to grab with, two fangs and venom sacs. I've got arms, fingers and thumbs, no fangs and no venom sacs...should I seriously try and fight like a snake does?

We are - like it or not - at the top of the food chain. So no, sorry if you disagree, but fighting like an animal as opposed to using our natural intelligence and ability to figure things out and scientific principles just doesn't make sense to me.

With reference to Kaarl's post about animals I also pointed out that all the examples of the animals in question fighting ability was seen when these predators were attacking their prey. I didn't think that was a shining example of how effecient something is for combat. It would be like watching videos of a man beating up small children or cripples and saying "look, see how he moves. That's what we should be doing"

That by the way, was not a personal attack on Kaarl. It was merely pointing out something he was using to justify his stuff that I thought I'd spotted a hole in (just as many of my posts you've seen have suffered similar points from you and others Very Happy ) People who read what I posted wrote in afterwards commenting (if memory serves) that I'd raised some good points. Again, the whole idea behind a forum...get a group of people together interested in something and throw ideas out and see what people think.

Im curious after reading this (you wrote it in response to someone questioning the term "reality based self defense". If you dont believe in gross motor or mental log jam then what "affects of stress" are you teaching people to deal with?

I've never said I don't believe in gross motor by the way...what I did say was that I also think you can use fine motor skills if you train them hard enough. Some people seem to give up training in advanced techniques because they believe the line that using them under stress is impossible. I, based on empirical evidence over the years, have witnessed far too many people use advanced stuff to believe this to be wrong. The difference always seems to be in the years of training and the time devoted to said training. I would hate to see advanced techniques disappear because too many neophytes begin swallowing the party line about them not working under stress. They do, if you put the time in. (military units typically don't have the time hence their gravitation towards gross motor stuff) I've always had the time and don't mind practicing.

I digress, back to your question about stress. The stress I'm teaching them to deal with is the stress of an adrenal dump. When someone gets in a 'situation' especially one they're not exposed to much, their brain recognizes the danger and triggers an adrenal dump (actually a cocktail of chemicals including chortisol etc but commonly referred to as adrenalin). If you're not used to it it can lead to things like tunnel vision, auditory shutdown, time distortion, hyperventilation, shock, and the emptying of bladder and bowels in extreme cases.

By trying to replicate the situations in scenario training we're doing our best to prepare the student for what he's going to be dealing with in the real world. (I will post a large post on this in just a minute from a brilliant reference book I have.)

Re the last part. I don't have a problem with you attacking any points I raise but I do take umbrage when you attack me...or Mick...or anyone else. Personal attacks should be delivered in person to give the recipient the chance to respond properly...on the internet they should always be kept to the issue at hand. Anyway, apology accepted.

Re your defense of Kaarl...I'm quite sure he can take care of himself but I don't mind that you jumped in to defend him. Yes, it's a free offer of help but (isn't there always a but?) I never commented on it until he posted the bit about where he'd got his info (animal shows and his garage) and felt it ony fair to point out to some neophyte that information from those sources may not be the best for tackling real live people.

I think people should get that info solely from people who've put it on the line fighting real live people...people such as Dennis Martin, Mick Coup and Geoff Thompson for example. As I pointed out Kaarl may well be able to make people hit harder but that's not the only thing that counts in a fight with another person. If in doing the harder hit for example you have to telegraph the strike (and I'm not saying Kaaarl does) that would be a bad thing in the real world. At no point did, or that big head Coup Razz say he couldn't hit hard, or wasn't a nice fella, or he couldn't teach people to hit harder. All I pointed out was you've got to be able to do it on people for it to count.

Nick

PS: I'm now off to type a huge section from a great reference book about stress etc. You should read it, you'll get a lot from it.
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ManchesterBudo Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks for the extremely detailed reply - I'll try to credit it with a decent reply of my own.

Just to fill you in on some background info; my brother and I had been invited down for the express reason to show them "our" stuff.
When I do Judo, I only do Judo.
When I did Tae Kwan Do myself, I did not do any sweeps.
Fair enough?
No worries man - like I said I couldnt remember the details. I cant work out why I couldnt find the post in your post history though? scratch

I doubt we're gonna agree on many things.
..and that's what forums are for.
I totally agree and as long as its done in a respectfull way there's no reason we cant all disagree and maybe challange each other to find better justifications for how we feel.

If instinctive fighting is so damned good why is everyone paying money to train? Are you seriously telling me you're paying money to train in how to fight instinctively????? It should be instinctive shouldn't it? I honestly can't see how this is a serious question.
Im not saying that your bare basic instincts are enough Im saying that since you cant train to avoid things like the various flinch responses surely its better to accept them and train to fight FROM them. Like striking from a NAP.

That by the way, was not a personal attack on Kaarl. It was merely pointing out something he was using to justify his stuff that I thought I'd spotted a hole in (just as many of my posts you've seen have suffered similar points from you and others Very Happy ) People who read what I posted wrote in afterwards commenting (if memory serves) that I'd raised some good points. Again, the whole idea behind a forum...get a group of people together interested in something and throw ideas out and see what people think.
Honestly Mick's said the same thing. I wasnt trying to defending Karl - I was defending his idea. It being that some of us on here could share ideas noone's forcing anyone to take the advice. I just think it would have been nicer for Mick to offer advice of his own instead of just cutting Karl up. I didnt reply in the best way, I realise that now. We all have bad days and like Brian advised me I shouldve slept on it. Like I said I was just pissed off that a generous offer was being met with such spite.

I've never said I don't believe in gross motor by the way...what I did say was that I also think you can use fine motor skills if you train them hard enough. Some people seem to give up training in advanced techniques because they believe the line that using them under stress is impossible. By trying to replicate the situations in scenario training we're doing our best to prepare the student for what he's going to be dealing with in the real world.
Id never considered defining advanced techniques as those requiring finer motor skills but I do know that in general I am anti-advanced skills. It turns self defense/protection into martial arts and maybe there needs to be a swing away from the fancy stuff seeing as it saturates the majority of the market. I work at a school and see kids being bullied everyday psychologically and Ive been there myself I know that physical bullying is going on behind the scenes. I cant bring myself to teach those kids the shit off buffy the vampire slayor or some kid of aikido wrist flick and it pisses me off that they're indoctrinated by every main stream movie and TV show into believing that fights are extravogant spin-kick affairs where noone gets hurt. I was watching something the other day where the lead was involved in underground cage fighting and after being smashed to peices appeared in shot with superficial and highly artistically spread blood on his cheeks. I just feel for the little kids watching that kind of shit and then going into school and getting "happy" slapped around.

I don't have a problem with you attacking any points I raise but I do take umbrage when you attack me...or Mick...or anyone else. Personal attacks should be delivered in person to give the recipient the chance to respond properly...on the internet they should always be kept to the issue at hand. Anyway, apology accepted.
Like I said I had a bad night and posted shit. Thanks for accepting the apology. My issue was with the shitty responce to a kind offer - I'll put faith in karma, I know my intentions were good even if the end result was a fuck up.

Re your defense of Kaarl...I'm quite sure he can take care of himself
Yes, it's a free offer of help but (isn't there always a but?)
I felt it ony fair to point out to some of his sources may not be the best.
At no point did, or that big head Coup Razz say he couldn't hit hard, or wasn't a nice fella, or he couldn't teach people to hit harder. All I pointed out was you've got to be able to do it on people for it to count.
The issue is unless you guys, who are more qualified to offer advice are prepared to do so for free (to the level Karl was suggesting) then why slag him off?

PS: I'm now off to type a huge section from a great reference book about stress etc. You should read it, you'll get a lot from it.
Im looking forward to having a read of it - thanks.
ManchesterBudo
ManchesterBudo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:56 pm

ManchesterBudo wrote:[Can I have "dick of the week"?

Yes.

But get this sonny. It was me last week, and it will be me next week. Don't get ideas above your station...... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  kaarl Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 am

hi nick, just thought id point out some facts

[where he got his info(nature programs and his garage)

i think youll find YOU said id got it from nature programs

(all my research has been spent with long hours hitting stuff an studying peoples mechanics.)

eg. dennis martin,mick coup,geoff thompson

lets run through a few tecniques i do ,and examples of who else teaches them

hammer fist... nick hughes,mick coup
slap...nick hughes,dennis martin
palm heel... nick hughes,mick coup
knee... nick hughes,dennis martin

it was only then that i realised the way animals generate power,is the same as the way humans build power eg double hip,waveform,whiping action

i think you really misunderstood where i was coming from

karl
kaarl
kaarl

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2006-08-19

http://www.instinctive-combatives.co.uk/forum/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 am

Hey Karl,

You can add me to the knee and slap categories as well pal!

And Ben,

'Spite'? Really? Not quite, not close.

As for offering advice for free - what do you think we do on this forum?

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Mate,

I apologize if I got it wrong...

I read this...

realising that whiping motions are what generates the most power in the animal kingdom,eg sharks tearing flesh,attacking big cats swiping at prey,even a thrush breaking a snail,the way apes hit particulary

and assumed you watched them on nature programs. If you've actually been with sharks in the water, out on the serengeti plains watching the big cats and up in the hills of Uganda studying the apes my hat is off to you.

I still don't agree with you (which is ok right...as that's what the forums are here for) Not all animals generate power in the same way because they're all built differently...sharks and cats for examples, and snakes and birds are two examples that spring to mind.

My biggest gripe though, as I mentioned, is that you haven't done any of this actually fighting people. I can teach someone that they'll generate a lot of power if they haul their hand of behind their head and run from thirty feet away and launch it into the bag. Can they take that and use it on someone in a streetfight? Fuck No!! Because the other guy will see them coming and get out of the way.

So, the point I'm trying to make is that power has to be in the context of doing it to another human who's trying to do it to you.

Perhaps this analogy will help. You could study ace pistol shots shooting, and read all about kinetic energy and various calibres and practice shooting in your basement. Now, you get really accurate and come on a close quarter combat forum and begin asking for films of people shooting because you can analyze it and make them more accurate.
Fine...perhaps you can, but has that accuracy got anything to do with the shooting that is done in combat when someone else is shooting back at you?

I had a mate who'd been in SF who wasn't a particularly good shot. (He hit the target consistantly but they weren't the half inch grouping I'd seen crack shots do) I mentioned it one day when we were watching a video of some wizard demonstrating his stuff on a range and my mate said "yes, but I want to know if the fucker can do it when someone is shooting at him at the same time? My shooting doesn't change...on the range, in the killing house, in the real world...always the same."

Do you see the subtle difference. You might be able to teach people to hit harder but can they do that in the middle of a brawl with another person? You don't know because you haven't tested your stuff in that environement enough to know.

Make sense mate?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kaarl Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 am

hi nick,i guess i just dont like being miss quoted,had to have a bit of a rant

i fully understand where your coming from,

[My biggest gripe though, as I mentioned, is that you haven't done any of this actually fighting people]

i always new that this would come up at some point,i know one or two instructers that have had very limited experiance,but still do a good job of teaching,thiers some very good boxing coaches with very limited experiance,

ive always been an advocate of pressure testing(,thats why im not still stuck in a martial arts class,but not to the point that im going to go out an try it out)i wanted to learn what really works, keeping it as simple as possible

if i thought for one minute that what i was teaching didnt work,i wouldnt be doing it,and some of my students have used them an they have worked,as they have for a cadre of top insructers

i noticed that in class and seminars some guys were missing some finerpoints in their mechanics,points that would make a big differance in their power delivery,and if i got them in my garage had some marked improvements,using the same mechanics mentioned in class,but also emphasized how important the breathing was,the same way dennis breaths when he strikes,an also i noticed the other day while watching pride the same way fedor breaths with powerful shots.

[ You don't know because you haven't tested your stuff in that environement enough to know]

so does that mean that all the guys you teach should go out an make sure it works?because they havent tested it in that environment?

if you teach a soldier how to cross a mine field,do you then take him out an try it for real no,you do your best to teach them whats right then its up to them to practise an make sure they do the job right if they find themselves in that situation,to me the biggest part of my combatives is avioding trouble
you guys have been there an done it,so if your doing your job properly then we shouldnt have to,thats why i hold you guys in such high regard,i noticed after studying combatives across the board,that alot of them have alot of things in common,and also agree what doesn't work,i stick with what works for the majority of the combatives guys,and dont teach what doesnt work

sorry mick didnt mean to leave you out,as i did with alot of other sp guys

cheers karl
kaarl
kaarl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:04 am

I feel like I'm intruding, but...IMHO the best fighters I've come across have almost all been untrained, or been boxers of some sort. I have been involved in countless fights, the difference being that I've lost quite few. The reason most of these guys are good at fighting is because they only use a few techniques which they have used on countless occasions. Also they tend to ACT like an animal i.e going forward in an extremely aggressive and violent nature. I've heard on a few occasions people saying 'he acted like an animal' or 'fought like an animal' thats because we are animals, it's just easier for some people to access that mode.

Because of this I have ditched alot of fine motor skills stuff in favour of derivitives of boxing/thai/open hand/simple judo or wrestling. THIS IS NOT TO SAY FINE MOTOR SKILLS DON'T WORK UNDER PRESSURE. I just haven't witnessed it. But what I will say, is that even the likes of Erle Montague, a man who has trained in many forms, for more years than most on this forum agrees to some extent. I've trained with many Kung-fu practioners etc who when the shit hits the fan revert to gross motor skills. I can only talk about MY experiences so if yours are different, good on ya. What works on a council estate in London may not work on the streets of L.A, Bancock, Sydney, wherever. Cheers Rob.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 am

Just to say as well, what separates us from street fighters is this;
1. we train harder
2. we train more often
3. we have supplementary techniques, which gives us scope to change fight dynamics i.e if it comes to a clinch situation we start banging in the knees/pull downs or whatever.
4. we only fight for just reasons. Right is on our side.
Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:25 am

Karl,

Hi mate!

I also accept that someone could be an instructor whilst not actually having fought themselves to a degree. [i]But that is when they are instructing stuff devised by someone who HAS been there and done it for real.

You have devised a system. You are not passing on Mick's stuff, or Nick's, or Dennis'. So it is still a very valid point isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post  kaarl Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 am

hi brian,

[But that is when they are instructing stuff devised by someone who HAS been there and done it for real]

all the strikes that i teach have been devised by someone who HAS been there and done it for real

[i noticed after studying combatives across the board,that alot of them have alot of things in common]

eg.all the strikes i do.
i noticed similaritys with some of the strikes and how teaching them,really got a quick result in peoples ability to develop power,with a hammerfist style strike people pick it up really quickly,im sure most combative guys agree that its the most instintive stike

[the hammer fist is EXREMELY instintive,most people who dont know anything about fighting,just hammer away like this(double hammer fist)anyway,therefore no learning curve] nick huges (not sure if its egactly right feel free to correct me,apologies)

while other shots are taught as well,they take time to learn and to come out in a situation,they need to be drilled,theres alot more chance of students doing what comes naturely after only a few lessons,how often have you heard"learn it in the lesson, use it in the carpark"
when you link hammerfist with the bearpaw,axehand, palmheel,weapons stike eg.surefire you get alot of strikes in one very similar very naturel movement,and havent yet seen this being taught,what i offer is to help people build power with whatever stike they use,

[the main thing I have taken away is to hit with the 'whole body'. By that I mean moving the body as a unit, power generation starts from the balls of my feet now, where in the past I only hit with my arm.] blackbird

or preffer, this is not a go at straght shots like blackbirds favourite, there also taught and very important,all i've ever done is try to help people build power,using tried an tested tecniques,take it or leave it thats what i do with a passion,

hope this helps,
remember mate im only down the road why dont you pop down sometime an give me an honest review of the bearpaw,im sure mick would't mind you checking me out,what have you got to lose?
cheers karl
kaarl
kaarl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:48 am

Hi Karl. Who have you learned the Bear Paw from again? Like Mick I am pretty sure you introduced it as your own discovery. And if you can show a link between your stuf and say, for example, Dennis', has he authorised you to teach it?

That's why I posted a random film on the now infamous thread (before it got "Budo'd" - Wink ) so that people could see whether or not they were happy that you had some kind of credentials - to see if you could develop some kind of credibility in their eyes. Let's face it. The thread never got off the ground before I did that.

It was a great opportunity to show your stuff, but you felt it may somehow be disrespectful? Maybe some would have taken offence as, after all, some egos are massive in the combatives community. Why don't you pick the film! Just show us some ability to do what you claim and I am sure that many more people will take you up on the offer.

And are you wanting to be seen as a Combatives instructor, or merely a "hitting hard" instructor? The former is so much more useful than the latter. In a nutshell, it isn't about how you perform a technique. It is how you apply it. That's the difference between hitting Bobs and managing to beat rock hard aggresive people who are hitting back!

I may well come to see you some day though. In all honesty I was well up for it when you initially contacted me ages ago. But it became increasingly clear that you were inviting me to come as your student, rather than someone to share ideas with. I'm sure you didn't mean any offence. Everyone I know who has met you has said that you are a good guy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 am

kaarl wrote:im sure mick would't mind you checking me out,what have you got to lose?
cheers karl

Just noticed this bit.

Haw haw haw! I don't care if Mick minds or not! No one tells me where I can or can't train. Only a spineless eedjut would let an instructor rule his life.

But do you know what? Like all the very best in the field, Mick actively WANTS people to go and look at other stuff. That is how confident he is about his very own stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  kaarl Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:49 am

hi brian,i dont claim anybody authorised me to teach it,its something i come across in training and i hadnt seen it taught,an i felt that i could show people an help them with there striking,over the past year ive had lots of good reviews,and ive got lots of footage of my ability to teach,which ill gladly show you if you do pop down

im sorry if you felt that i was inviting you as a student it was always meant as an exchange of ideas as it often is ,but dont you have to take a students view to learn somthing new?as i would when you were showing me somthing,i think aproaching somthing new with an emty cup is always important,

thats new as in something you havent seen,not new as in invented weve only got 2 arms an 2 legs, anything you see now adays has been done before,as ive said before i never claimed it to be,but i hadnt seen it taught ,an can supply my full thread off the other forum if you feel the need to read it again to clarify things,but i think it was the guys i was showing it to that thought it was new because they hadnt seen it taught

but i do feel now that its time to start a class of my own now that ive been banned from the gutterfighters.

perhaps i should advertise it as the stuff den banned! lol

cheers karl
kaarl
kaarl

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:39 am

kaarl wrote:but i do feel now that its time to start a class of my own now that ive been banned from the gutterfighters.

Out of interest, mate, why have you been banned? Also, wouldn´t it be better to finish your education before you start teaching?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 am

Banned from the gutterfighters?

Back to top Go down

Post  xm15nytyme Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm banned from screaminglikeagirljitsu... Slack says I just don't have enough SHRILL in my shriek.
xm15nytyme
xm15nytyme

Number of posts : 915

http://neilswaab.com/comics/wiggles/wiggles_content.html

Back to top Go down

Post  ManchesterBudo Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:24 pm

now that ive been banned from the gutterfighters.
Stop press. Why? Question
ManchesterBudo
ManchesterBudo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean M Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

He got to like fighting gutters too much, started taking on drainpipes and rain butts too.

Mad bastard!
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  kaarl Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:41 am

yes banned but its his chioce ,and his class

but ive got to say i did get alot of information from him,his seminars an dvds have helped me out alot in my early years,gonna miss the crew though he has some good lads.

sean ive moved on to grids for conditioning:)

karl
kaarl
kaarl

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 am

I´m going to write this post as carefully as possible.

I´ve got a theory that combatives now is like wing chun in the early 1970s.

On the one hand, combatives is about to take off and become massively popular. On the other hand, it´s difficult for the general public to work out which instructors are better than others. There is no competition. There is no centralised grading authority. Lineage is important.

If you thought the "experiment" thread got heated, wait until someone with little fighting experience and not much pedigree, but loads of marketing know-how, creates the largest combatives organisation in the world. I hope you guys handle it better than the wing chun people have done. The internet should help. But...
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean M Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 am

I suspect not.

I think there are already a couple of organisations that have an excellent pedigree and at least one with a better than average marketing strategy ( backed with more experience than many of us combined will ever possess).

The charlatans would have to get past these people first. rather them than me.
Sean M
Sean M

Number of posts : 978
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:23 pm

I agree with Socratese. Hooray! It had to happen! Laughing

Things are always at their purest when in their infancy. Effective Karate is in the minority now...... most of it is all flashy kicks and wiggling arms about in thin air. Many kinds of Japanese Jiu Jitsu suffered similar downfalls..... all overly compliant twisty wristy nonsense. In fact, you name the trad art, and I'll probably be able to testify that the majority of it practiced today is a diluted form and next to useless in reality. Like Wing Chun! affraid

They got popular, and the arts and training gradually became diluted so that paying students would stick around.

But most of them would have started out very effective. Think of a Karate with people studying nothing but punches and elbows to the head, strikes to the eyes, neck and throat, as well as stomps to the knees for a few years. These guys would be deadly. But what is the average McDojo class about now? Wiggly armed flicky kicky cacky.

Combatives will go the same way. The process is already underway actually. People scratch a few techniques together and call it a "system." They make themselves out to be the big Doo Dah top guy, and anyone disagreeing is banished. Their mates all get to be instructors, without an actual system to instruct, nor the input to be able to instruct.

And egos are growing with each passing hour.......

Back to top Go down

Post  melvinfferd Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:23 am

does krav maga fall under the banner of "combatives"? if so, i hope its not a preview of things to come for combatives as a whole.

brian, you really think its already started? i thought the combative scene was still very small.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next