Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Brothers

3 posters

Go down

Dog Brothers Empty Dog Brothers

Post  SJ Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:46 am

Hi Nick

Have you ever done anything with the Dog brothers? The reason why I ask is that their default cover to a knife attack, the “dog catcher” (an expanded juji uke, with point of contact being the elbows not the wrists, with footwork and body angulation) is almost exactly the same default cover that Gavin taught us a decade or so ago. I believe he got the default from you?

SJ

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Dog Brothers Empty Re: Dog Brothers

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 am

I did a private with one of them when I was out in LA (after KM tried to rip us off so we used the money and the airline tickets for a training holiday instead)

I was very unimpressed to be honest. The stuff he showed was extremely basic (we did no knife stuff by the way, just stick) and he talked down to us for the whole time. (At least he did till he saw one of my toys I was carrying that was made for some stealthy fookers and then he began asking me to get him one). We both walked away (my top student and I) with the same impression so I don't think it was just me.

Anyway, to answer your question no, I have absolutely zero knife stuff from the dog brothers. I've picked stuff up to date from my karate and ju-jutsu/Judo instructors in Oz, the Legion, Geoff Espinous in Paris, Bobby Breen and Pat O'Malley in the UK, and various FMA guys here in the US (especially Ray Dianaldo) and Hock.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 am

Hi Nick,

I realise that christmas has only just gone and many may have had enough of toys, but talk of toys made for stealthy fookers always sparks my interest. Is the toy as interesting as it sounds and would you mind eloborating on what it is.

Thanks

Rob

Rob

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:51 am

It was made by a guy who does some stuff for...well stealthy govt types. He passed on a prototype and it was made of titanium to slip through metal detectors etc and very slick. He - the DB - thought it was a key chain initially and when I hauled it out and showed him what it was his whole demenour changed and he said "Oh, you have GOT to get me one of those." More than that I cannot say amigo.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 am

it sounded like the sort of toy you would not be able to elaborate on too much. thanks for the reply though. if anything its made it all the more interesting.

thanks

Rob

Rob

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SJ Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 am

Nick, I didn't think you got the cover from them. I thought they might have got it from you. The DB developed the “dog catcher” about five years ago. Gavin first showed it to us a decade or so ago.

SJ

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2006-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:58 am

SJ,

Mate, I didn't show them anything (other than the toy). Who knows where they got it from? Everyone steals from everyone in this game (as long as they give credit where it's due I don't have a problem with that by the way) and I've come up with very little original stuff. Some drills are mine, some tweaks of certain techniques and a method of dealing with knives that I showed Den years ago in Florida when we were on a PPCT seminar together...other than that I stand firmly on the shoulders of the giants who've gone before me.

Nick

PS: Gavin's good isn't he?
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  SJ Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 am

Yes he is

SJ