Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overtraining?

3 posters

Go down

Overtraining? Empty Overtraining?

Post  Ricardo Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Dave,

Do you believe it is possible to over train? And have you seen it during your time in Martial Arts?

For instance I have got an article on Sandy Holt - Thai Boxer in an MAI interview that is now a couple of years old (Aug, 2003).

In it he states that a typical day and evening training 6/7 days a week amounts to:-

Pressups - 1000-2000 done in sets of 100 (his students call him Sandy McPressups).

Sit-ups 2000-3000 sometimes more (in sets).

Bodyweights Squats - 1000 to 2000 (in sets).

Back arm-pressups - done on a raised boxing ring 1000 to 2000 (in sets)

Chin-ups 100 to 250 in total, his personal best was 50-non stop.

By the way this guy won the european thai boxing title even after he had his arm broken in two places in the 2nd round. He ended up finishing the fight in this opposite guard to protect his arm!

Do you believe that anyone can train to and maintain this intensity? (I am not questioning if Mr Holt trains at this level, as I am sure he does, I am questioning about the average joe on the street)

Thanks & regards,
Rich

Ricardo

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Overtraining? Empty Re: Overtraining?

Post  Dave Turton Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi mate

yes I see it all the times in varying degrees and levels.

I am sure he wont mind me mentioning it, but Andy Crittenden last year did just that..
he was trying to fit in so much training as well as teaching, that his body just started fighting back.

The thing is we dont always realise it until its of a high level,, maybe we think its just a cold or touch of flu, or "I'm not feeling top whack today"

or small injuries feel like big ones..

most people do over train and dont suffer enough to realise it..

but when you can read the signs, its more wide spread than perhaps you might think

thats why athletes have a wind down period after a major event like the Olympics etc

in equal parts should be work, rest and diet

all three are as important as each other.

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricardo Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:13 pm

That's great Dave thanks mate,

regards
Rich

Ricardo

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Crittenden Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:10 am

Dave's right, i trained like a mad man last year, i did boxing on a monday, trained sdf with dave on a tuesday, boxing again on a wednesday, bjj on a thursday and eskrima on a friday, plus seminars at weekends, and i was going to trevor roberts club once a month plus i taught 4 or 5 classes a night 6 days a week. I was training for an MMA Fight & 5th Dan Black Belt Grading so did a lot of extra training for that

This year ive spent most of my time trying to heal injuries from last year! Only regularly managed to train with Dave this year which i wouldnt miss for the world

Andy Crittenden

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2006-09-11

http://www.andycmartialarts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum