Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blackthorn?

4 posters

Go down

Blackthorn? Empty Blackthorn?

Post  Joshu's Dog Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:50 pm

Hi Dave,

For years I've heard about blackthorn cudgels.
I've just come across an old blackthorn walking stick, and I'm a bit puzzled.
For one thing, it's much thinner and lighter than I'd expect. That's just a property of this one, so I know there are stouter ones out there. This one just doesn't have the mass I would want in an impact weapon. So that already weighs against it on my first impression of the fabled blackthorn.
But that's not my question...
Those thorns, which look so nice, make it quite tricky to switch grips. And in a walkingstick-size impact weapon, switching grips (ala pickaxe or cane) is a huge bonus. In a blackthorn, I'd think you really want to get your grip on the bottom end so you are striking with the knob. Or do I have that wrong?
Would you expound a bit on the goodness of blackthorn, so I can better understand what I'm not getting on my first impression?

Thanks,

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Blackthorn? Empty Re: Blackthorn?

Post  Dave Turton Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi JD

Irish Blackthorn is the wood used to make traditional SHILLELAGHS... these were a 'one ended' club... so the thorny bits werent an issue.

however, by using the ROOT branches there were less 'thorns' and more smooth shafts.. so the problem wasnt a big one..

there was however a definite hitting end and holding end unlike say escrima or pick axe handle

bloody useful weapon though..

maybe its just the wood mate, the ones I have seen and held have all been, how shall I say .. "Substantial"

Dave Turton

Number of posts : 1381

http://www.selfdefencefederation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:27 pm

"there was however a definite hitting end and holding end "

So as a walking stick, you're holding the "hitting end". Trick is, I guess, one quick grip switch at the outset?

This one, btw, is "insubstantial". One might even be tempted to call it "airy-fairy". I'll keep looking for a stouter one.

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:17 am

Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 am

Thank you .. I found that very interesting and enlightening

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  dokkoden Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi JK,
type SHILLELAGH into EBAY, they oftenhave blackthorn sticks, both the walking canes and shorter cudgels
Paul

dokkoden

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Joshu's Dog Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Dok,
That's where I got this one. Looked great in the photo. Looks great in real life, too.
Except that it's really thin and insubstantial - that didn't come across in the photos.

sigh...

Peter - great link. Thanks!

JK
Joshu's Dog
Joshu's Dog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Turton Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:50 pm

JD

one old irishman told me that a lot of shillelagh fighters used to cut their walking sticks down at the thin end, make them shorter and stouter????

the walking stick was always longer than any shillelagh I have seen mate.

maybe there's something in that

Dave Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  dokkoden Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi JK,
'Go forth young man and look on Ebay!' sorry not one of my more inspired attempt to help:)

I think there's a difference between a Backthorn walking stick and and a shillelagh. The latter is a really substantial club, about 18 inches long and fairly thick with a large ball or 'hammer' at the striking end (and i'd really like a real one:))
It is possible to get a fairly substantial blackthorn walking cane, I have one I got in Dublin on my honeymoon (at least that way I choose her weapon Sad Smile) and that one is pretty solid with a flat 'ball at the handle end.
It also isn't to thorny so it does slide easily through the hand. I don't hit it on anything really hard (Its a keepsake rather than a weapon) but i practice Hanbo, singlestick and Fairbairn type drills with it and it flows nicely.
Anyway keep hunting, I'msure a decent stick is out there. The most substantial ones I've seen have always had largish balls at the handle end rather than the slanted T shape usually associated.
Paul

dokkoden

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2006-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum