Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torn bisep tendon.

3 posters

Go down

Torn bisep tendon. Empty Torn bisep tendon.

Post  Dave Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:19 am

Apparently I've partially torn my bicep tendon where it joins the elbow. This was 'achieved' last Wednesday during the 5th round of sparring (boxing).

I felt the pain at the time of landing a left hook to the body, but thought that it was just a bad muscle pull. However I attended the hospital yesterday after seeing the difference in the shape of my left bicep compared to my right bicep, when flexed, and also the distinct lack of tendon where the muscle is attached to the inside of the elbow, one is very taught (right) whilst the other feels mushy (left).

Now I have been told that depending on what percentage of the tendon is torn I have been told that I require surgery to reattach the tendon. Over 50% torn is the point of surgery. I have two appointments at the hospital next week one for consultation and another for an Ultrasound.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone on this forum can help with.

1) Has anyone had or know anyone who has had this kind of injury?
2) Did they have the op?
3) If so how was rehab?
4) If you didn't have surgery how does this (if at all) affect your movement in that arm, and your training?
5) if you did or did not have surgery do you regret doing so, or not doing so?

I lead quite an active life which includes both weight raining and combat sports training. I hold a job which quite often can be quite physically demanding.
Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Torn bisep tendon. Empty Re: Torn bisep tendon.

Post  Jagunco Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I wish I had more practical advice other than stay positive and don't push it too hard to quick... the stuff they can do these days is amazing and there are plenty things you can do to stay in trim without using your arms...

Chin up mate....
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 am

Jagunco wrote:I wish I had more practical advice other than stay positive and don't push it too hard to quick... the stuff they can do these days is amazing and there are plenty things you can do to stay in trim without using your arms...

Chin up mate....
Chin up. I should be so lucky my arms buggered I've got no chance of doing any kind of chin up Wink
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:41 pm

A mate of mine suffered this injury when he fell out of a loft and tried grabbing the edge with one arm.He was told he would need an op but chickened out of it.He can still use the arm but its not as strong as it was before.If you want to carry on with combat sports it will need sorting out properly.

The only tendon operation I have had has been on the achilles tendon and that involved spending six weeks in plaster followed by a year of rehab before I could run properly again.Tendons take a long time to heal due to having a low blood supply.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks Tony,
A friend has just told me that Liverpool ex-Olympic boxer (now turned pro) Tom Stalker is currently sidelined with exactly the same injury.
I had an MRI scan today and have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow to discuss the results.
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum