Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judo In Middle Age

5 posters

Go down

Judo In Middle Age Empty Judo In Middle Age

Post  Ronin Mick Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Gents:

I am an infrequent poster here at Self-Protection Dot Com.

Nonetheless I value every bit of advice and experience I gather on this site.

I am preparing to enroll my boy and myself in a local judo club to begin his formal tutelage in martial arts.

My last school closed about two years ago, and despite staying fit I know my timing is off.

We all know Judo isn't for nancy boys; the Tatami is a cruel bitch.

Any advice for a guy getting ready to start getting tossed on his head again after a decent bit of a break.

Cheers,

Mick

Ronin Mick

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-12-16

http://www.restauranttraffic.com

Back to top Go down

Judo In Middle Age Empty Re: Judo In Middle Age

Post  Chris Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 am

Just take it slow and ease into it. Listen to your body and give yourself time to recover from hard sessions.

Injuries can come at any time but they are most likely at the beginning of training when you are not conditioned to the sessions. Don't be afraid to be a little bit cautious at the start and opt out of anything you feel may cause you injury. There is a difference between being hurt and being injured.. if something hurts then you can suck it up and carry on, if you are injured then you need time to recover.

All in all, just relax and enjoy it. Loads of middle aged and above judo players, they are the ones who take care of themselves properly. There's also plenty of ex-judo players who are crippled with injuries because of bad training practices, bad coaching, bad rehabilitation from injuries or just bad luck. You wont recover in the way you did in your twenties but you can train smart and you can still train hard.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Hey Mick,

Pretty much +1 what Chris said. I'm getting back into it as well by launching a new kid's program that will combine Judo, Ju-jutsu and Karate (probably in the new year) so lot's of practice before that happens.

I did read a good book about Judo (can't remember the name) by an English journalist I believe who began training at age 50. Lot's of good advice in there as well about coping with the strain on the body.

Good luck with it and glad to hear you're getting back on the mat.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trev3 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Was it The pyjama game ,a journey into judo by Mark Law ?
trev3
trev3

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey Trev,

Aye, that's the one. Great book.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:07 am

I had a similar dilema start Capoeira again at 35. Its not a hard contact art like Judo but some of the moves are daunting to say the lease and require better than average flexibility.

I've made a few rules for it though

1) Warm up thoroughly... this makes all to difference to my I make sure my writsts and back are warm before I do anything... not like when I came in and did 5 back walkover before training began in my 20's lol

2) something doesn't feel right stop. I used to push my self through pain barriers thinking that was the way forward but now with stiff backs and hips if a move is straining something in a way that doesn't feel condusive I bow out (nomrally by falling onto my back lol) Currently doing a lot of stuff in the Bridge position and my writsts and back have only just stoped complaining everytime

3) Don't know how this'll apply to judo but i find that though I'm not as capable as I was 10 years ago I play a different game now relying less on stamina and stregnth. Your new older mindset may well make your judo game a lot better so its not all bad
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down