Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids

+4
Mr Nobody
combatnige
David Turton
Feckless Combatant
8 posters

Go down

Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids Empty Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids

Post  Feckless Combatant Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 pm

My kids are at a good age to get into martial arts, and self protection ought to be a large part of it. Theyre both keen, but we haven't been impressed thus far with many of the clubs around our way. most of it seems to be warming up and stretching, then running around chasing footballs.

Anyone have any recommendations for a style to look at? I'm going down to our local BJA judo club in a couple of days, that must be up there as a good style for kids to start out in? My little boy loves wrestling on TV so the ability to throw people on the deck would definitely appeal to him!

Just as a side note - I am NOT impressed with "Defence Labs", seems to be all about selling franchises.

Feckless Combatant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids Empty Re: Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids

Post  David Turton Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 am

which area are you in mate?

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids Empty Re: Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids

Post  Feckless Combatant Thu May 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Worcester.

Feckless Combatant

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige Fri May 24, 2013 6:36 am

If they were my kids i would suggest judo, good grappling skills, the ability to learn how to full and get comfortable with people being 'inside your space'

plus when kids turn to youths and then into adults all judoka seem have the strength of a bloody bull, something that is quite handy later in life if strentth becomes a factor in a confrontation, whether its strking or grabbing hold of someone.

Alternately boxing, learn how to punch with power, and all boxers learn to take punches, again usefull if someone tries to 'clock' you one out in the street, boxers seem to shake it off better, then the other guy is in a worl of hurt

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri May 24, 2013 5:25 pm

While we want our kids to learn to look after themselves unfortunately they won't participate in martial arts unless they want to.

My daughter is 8 and I have taught her a couple of things but she is more interested in swimming, tennis, netball and singing to want to do martial arts. She just isn't interested. My 2yr old son loves wrestling with me and I think he might be more interested in physical martial art training as he gets older. I've already taught him a chin jab and a very simplistic form of the shredder.

Alternatively, I made my daughter go to a short seminar specifically for kids self protection that was run by a friend of mine. She really enjoyed it but the focus wasn't on physical responses but more about trusting their instincts, recognising signs when an adult is trying to trick them, not to go to another location with someone, not keeping secrets from their parents, yelling and running to safe places for help etc etc. There were some physical responses but the main focus was essentially teaching the children how to listen to their instincts and understand what it means when something doesn't feel right. My friend has written a book on the subject of kids self protection and it is very good and well worth a read.

While most MA's don't comprehensively teach children how to look afer themselves i.e. they focus solely on physical techniques that won't work most of the time, they do offer a lot of other positive attributes such as co-ordination, strength, balance, discipline, fitness, enjoyment, friendships, confidence etc.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Judo, judo, judo
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 am

how old are they?
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Feckless Combatant Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 am

My son is 7 and my daughter is 11. I've shown them a few moves and made them aware of space around them, who is near them, avoiding situations etc, just be good to get them into a club where they can practise properly and see if it's really for them.

Feckless Combatant

Back to top Go down

Self Protection and Martial Arts for Kids Empty self defense for kids and teens

Post  teentendo Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:33 am

Hi,
you may check this program, its target audience is kids and teens

teentendo

Registration date : 2013-07-26

http://www.teentendo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Feckless Combatant Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Many thanks for your reply...

...but...

are you for ***ing real?

"Teentendo"??

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours.

Feckless Combatant

Back to top Go down

Post  CraigM Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 am

Judo...then teach them how to throw a couple of punches and bobs yer uncle...fannys yer aunt you are good to go

CraigM

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down