Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Den Martin

5 posters

Go down

Training with Den Martin Empty Training with Den Martin

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Just back from a weekend in GA with the legendary Dennis Martin.

Hosted by Shane Gosa in the small town of Americus Den was invited over to teach a crew comprised of law enforcement, military and civilian instructors in shooting and combatives.

I took some of my guys with me including a visitor who's one of the trainers of the Israeli SEAL equivalent down for the Sat/Sun portion of the 3 day program.

Day one began with us in the classroom doing presentations on various aspects of combatives. While the topic wasn't as important as the presentation of said topic was some of the information presented was awesome.

I debunked Hick's Law, and then got to hear presentations on mind-set, legal ramifications, weapons retention, room clearing, how the brain learns, mind-set, et alia.

After lunch we discovered that Sun would be raining so we adapted and shot down the range that afternoon for an afternoon of various advanced shooting drills. We did some great stuff with Denis and then once again it was opened up to the various instructors to present their own drills.

We also went over how to teach the drills to various problem students and some Jedi Project concepts that get people shooting faster and better than normal. Great stuff.

That night we all went back to Shane's for a bar b q, stuffed our faces and swapped war stories.

The next morning was back in the classroom for various instructional methodologies and tips to be better instructors and we finished off with the unheard presentations from the previous day.

After lunch it was on to the physical stuff with Den (which included watching his assistant Slackbadder getting tased) and a couple more presentations including a couple by yours truly and one by my Israeli mate on snatching instigators from crowds.

To watch Dennis, who has to be in seventies (or very close), still mixing it up with the youngsters and outperforming some of them physically during the warm up, was truly inspirational.

I'm hard pressed to find a better way to spend a weekend than hanging out with a bunch of pros, learning the latest re training, shooting guns (pistols, shotgun and AR-15s), doing combatives and socializing afterwards.

If any of you guys are interested in any of that let me know and I'll keep you apprised of when we do it again or indeed, when I start running my own courses which will be soon.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Training with Den Martin Empty Re: Training with Den Martin

Post  the spaniard Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 am

I trained with him at the International in Liverpool a few years ago.
Had a great time,his instruction was top notch and his people (Slackbladder etc) were quite supportive.

the spaniard

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 am

That sounds like you had a fantastic weekend Nick ya lucky bugger.

It's good to hear Slackbladder is still there and doing well too
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I worked over the weekend....yours was better than mine Nick.

Crying or Very sad
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

lol!
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:
If any of you guys are interested in any of that let me know and I'll keep you apprised of when we do it again or indeed, when I start running my own courses which will be soon.

Nick

Please add me to your list of contacts for future events like this. Very Happy
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down