Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Headbutt

+2
David Turton
Steve bungle
6 posters

Go down

The Headbutt Empty The Headbutt

Post  Steve bungle Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Dave, Just curious to your opinions on the Headbutt? i know you've vast martial arts experiance/knowledge so how do you think they fit in with traditional arts? Have you have any experiances with them? thanks Dave.
Steve bungle
Steve bungle

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-02-21

Back to top Go down

The Headbutt Empty Re: The Headbutt

Post  David Turton Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:36 am

The headbutt for many years has been viewed as a 'thugs' weapon rather than a 'martial arts' thing.
However the headbutt is a method used in several martial arts styles, and is a very good technique

I like headbutts and have taught, trained and used them over the past 40 odd years.

the main point is they are a close-in weapon and (obvious as it sounds) you have to be in the right position to use them.
They are also an oppotunistic weapon, I am not sure they should be 'planned', but something that if its there... use it.

Street style headbutts have been used for centuries, but usually by the 'bad guys', and if an incident got to court, the use of headbutts was and still is frowned upon.

So they have to be trained, there are training methods for headbutts, and they have to be applied correctly... often the person doing the butt gets injured more than the recipient due to poor technique

thanks for the question

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve bungle Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:48 am

How would you train a headbutt? i've attempted it on the bag/pads but it just does'nt feel right Smile
Steve bungle
Steve bungle

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 am

You'd be amazed but I actually think there's a youtube video on the subject. It was quite interesting.... I'll try to look it up

Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am

I thought I knew everything I needed to know about the headbutt. Trained it a bit, been on the receiving end (was headbutted clean off a pub stage when I was a young lad many moons ago). I thought I had practical and training hall experience and I am definitely a believer in a butts potential as a stopper.

A couple of years ago I was training with "under" Karl Blackwell in one session and as a throw away comment he came across and spent some time with me talking about how to "rock" into the headbutt, thereby preventing recoil and whiplash on the "butter" rather than impact on the "butted". Fantastic little tip that makes all the difference but I would never have figured it out for myself.

strange the things you pick up along the way Very Happy
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 am

good point Chris ... Karl has developed every one of his weapons, and has used his headbutt technique more than once when his street 'survival' was dependant on it.

He was quite keen on using headbutts when inside a small 'gang'... he has been known (when working some very rough Doncaster doors), when mobbed to headbutt his way out of the group...

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveCollins Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 am

DaveCollins

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 am

I reccommend you see the way Vunak uses the headbutt, it's part of the R.A.T. training I do.

when done correctly its devastating.

Some science bods have used one of those gel filled dummies hooked up with sensors to test the impact. The conclusion they came to was the impact was the same as if you were lying on the ground face up, and someone held a bowling ball with straight arms out of a second story window, and just let it drop.

that should smart somewhat!!

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down