Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

+5
Nick Hughes
Rob.Brown
geerarffe
David Turton
SecIBu
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts Empty Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

Post  SecIBu Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:41 pm

I have viewed many websites and forum that make reference to Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo club, the one thing they all have in common is that Norman Grundy is a legend in the Martial Arts world and that he was an outstanding Martial Artist!

I would like to take this opportunity to state the facts and clear up any misunderstandings that may have arisen from incorrect and misleading information currently in circulation.

The Ippon Judo Club and Institute of Budo was opened by Peter Jaconelli and Norman Grundy on Huntress Row, Scarborough in 1959, where it remained until they re-located to the former Technical College, Valley Road in 1968.

In 1970 they moved from the college to the most commonly known location in the Old Church, Seamer Road, Scarborough and continued in operation at Seamer Road for 10 years until 1980 when the Ippon Judo Club and Institute of Budo was re-located for the last time to the Castle Hotel (Old Stable Block), Queen Street where they remained until January 1983 when the Hotel burnt down.

Kevin Murphy moved from Birmingham to Seamer Village, Scarborough in the mid seventies where he established the Budokan Club in the old Junior School.
In 1983 Kevin re-located the Budokan Club to the former premises of the Ippon Judo Club and Institute of Budo in the Old Church, Seamer Road.

Norman Grundy and Kevin Murphy were associated through both being in attendence at seminars etc. that took place in the early days and their involvement with the A.J.A ( Amateur Judo Association) however any association between Norman and Kevin ceased around 1969-70.

Any rumour that Kevin Murphy trained or taught along side Norman Grundy at the Ippon Judo Club and Institute of Budo or had any involvement with establishing, operating or running of the Ippon Judo Club and Institute of Budo are totally unfounded!!

In 1974 Norman Grundy gained 7th Dan Black Belt and with Anton Geesink of Holland, were the first Europeans to achieve this rank.

All my Information is fully documented and has been confirmed, verified and authorised by the Institute of Budo - Roger Grundy 8th Dan, Dai Shihan (president) and Phil Giles 6th Dan, Shihan (principal).

SecIBu

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts Empty Re: Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

Post  David Turton Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 am

thank you for that info

I trained a few times at Seamer way back, I also had a couple of sessions with a Scarborough with an Aikido man first name 'Paul' (cant remember his surname at the mo', but might have been something like 'Thompson))
he trained german shepherd dogs as well ... I remember he had to retire from training due to a sever back injury ... I reckon that might have been about 1982 or 3

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts Empty Re: Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts

Post  geerarffe Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Here! Here! Well said secIBu. No greater authority on Norman than his son Roger and I for one am glad you posted this! Very Happy Reading information posted by teapots is getting a little old! Wink

geerarffe

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club Facts Empty RE: Norman Grundy and Ippon Judo Club facts

Post  SecIBu Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 am

Thank you both for your comments.
As with all who share my heritage, i want to ensure that any information placed in the public domain is accurate and not tainted with false memories, and to maintain the integrity of the Institute of Budo.

Paul Thompson trained at the Ippon Judo club for a very short while but left after achieving his yellow belt.

Regards

SecIBu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 am

SecIBu wrote:Thank you both for your comments.
As with all who share my heritage, i want to ensure that any information placed in the public domain is accurate and not tainted with false memories, and to maintain the integrity of the Institute of Budo.

Paul Thompson trained at the Ippon Judo club for a very short while but left after achieving his yellow belt.

Regards

Well brought to light, you jim had worked so hard to keep this heritage on the right track, but and i hope am not stepping out of line on this, but you and jim know me well about speaking my mind and with over 25 years in this game and teaching classes from when i was brown belt (10 years teaching) its the brown belts and dan grades had let you down by not getting out there and keeping this heritage alive.
we all can sit in the back seat of a car telling the driver how to drive, but what happens when the driver is too tired? are you going to take the wheel? or do we stop here...
what you get in most cases is you do all the hard work and I will come and train then go home right up to brown belt or dan grade and then say good bye. Sorry guys just the truth.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  SecIBu Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 am

Hello Rob,

As Jackie Chan said,

"The student and the master follow the same path until they go their seperate ways"

I believe this is how it should be, for we are all individuals with our own destiny!

Regards

SecIBu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 am

SecIBu wrote:Hello Rob,

As Jackie Chan said,

"The student and the master follow the same path until they go their seperate ways"

I believe this is how it should be, for we are all individuals with our own destiny!

Regards

Hi hope everyones fine, yes you maybe right but...
If you love what you are willing to fight for, for others to take the easy way to leaves the last man standing.
showing other the past Experience (as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement) moves hours of skill and pain forward, to bring to the table the polished item.
Never forget the ones who created and handed down a peace of themself, For what? So other may turn their backs.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 am

What are you talking about Rob?

Last edited by geerarffe on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  SecIBu Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am

Many are called but few are chosen!!!!!!

SecIBu

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:32 am

geerarffe wrote:What are you talking about Rob?

A person spends most of their spair time training, learning taking note of detail, at every grading show there knowledge of what others have took years to bring to you them, so you have the gift to pass on like manners, right and wrong to your child.
I would feel let down, as Fred, Jim and others teach and never charge for a grading only the black belt and the training fees was very low maybe free in most cases, so like i said the high grades have not lost out in the pocket, but walked away with a gift (free bees).

But on the other hand if people want to play the big i am, i can do what and i dont want to teach i dont want a dojo thats fine lets hope that your children dont want to train in this style because they just might find it hard to find a club.

now this is just not one or two high grades not wanting move the style forward its lots.
like i said does someone take the wheel or do we stay here.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  SecIBu Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 am

Rob,

All this serves is to distract from the factual information of my original post regarding Norman Grundy and the Ippon Judo Club!!

Regards

SecIBu

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 am

Rob.Brown wrote:

A person spends most of their spair time training, learning taking note of detail, at every grading show there knowledge of what others have took years to bring to you them, so you have the gift to pass on like manners, right and wrong to your child.
I would feel let down, as Fred, Jim and others teach and never charge for a grading only the black belt and the training fees was very low maybe free in most cases, so like i said the high grades have not lost out in the pocket, but walked away with a gift (free bees).

But on the other hand if people want to play the big i am, i can do what and i dont want to teach i dont want a dojo thats fine lets hope that your children dont want to train in this style because they just might find it hard to find a club.

now this is just not one or two high grades not wanting move the style forward its lots.

And what's any of that go to do with the OP? The OP was about setting facts straight and trying to reduce the amount of false information flying about on the net about Mine and secIBus herritage and style.

If you've got a problem with dan grades from OUR herritage and style not taking the reigns and and opening their own dojo, go tell them! Complaining on an open forum to a bunch of strangers is neither productive or needed.

You don't even know all the high grades from OUR herritage and style and their reasons for not opening their own dojos to pass judgement. Lack of information is a dangerous thing. Especially if you don't know who you're talking to!

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 am

geerarffe wrote:
Rob.Brown wrote:

And what's any of that go to do with the OP? The OP was about setting facts straight and trying to reduce the amount of false information flying about on the net about our herritage.

If you've got a problem with dan grades in OUR style not taking the reigns and and opening their own dojo, go tell them! Complaining on an open forum to a bunch of strangers is neither productive or needed.

You don't even know all the high grades in OUR style and their reasons for not opening their own dojos to pass judgement. Lack of information is a dangerous thing. Especially if you don't know who you're talking to!

Dangerous? is that a treat .... I see you dont know me THEN
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 am

Rob.Brown wrote:Dangerous? is that a treat .... I see you dont know me THEN

How was it a threat? Are you that egotistical that everything has to be about you? Too little info IS a dangerous thing. And no I don't know you, nor do I wish to!

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  SecIBu Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:53 am

YAMAIS!!! ENOUGH!!!

SecIBu

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm

yeah come on guys

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Not sure what this post is even on here for. If you read the posts here they almost all pertain to self protection unless there humorous in nature in which case they show up in the general section.

This is nothing but blatant politics which is something we've always avoided here...take it somewhere else for fooks sake.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 am

well said ( as always) Nick

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:49 am

This was the first time I really read this thread.

What a complete waste of time. Can I have my 5 minutes back please?
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 am

Nick Hughes wrote:Not sure what this post is even on here for. If you read the posts here they almost all pertain to self protection unless there humorous in nature in which case they show up in the general section.

This is nothing but blatant politics which is something we've always avoided here...take it somewhere else for fooks sake.

Nick

Theres no politics here. we are train together, maybe just a say what you think.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 am

I just did say what I thought...and the entire post is nothing but political. Rolling Eyes

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 am

How is the OP anything like political? A couple of the posts were pointless but the OP was posted to clear up some incorrect fact that had been posted on this forum previously.

Read into it what you will and obviously have, but there was no agenda behind it other than to correct information.

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Post the link or links to the incorrect facts. Otherwise keep the politics to yourselves because noone else gives a damn.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 pm

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Rob.Brown wrote: "maybe just a say what you think."

Mamma Mia! E say whatta e thinka! Waddaya wanna a do a? Make a widda da problema?!?!

BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next