Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Bus

+8
Perry Gamsby
theycallme-Sam
stevie b
roadkill
Ade
Socrates
OCFC
mickl
12 posters

Go down

A Bus Empty A Bus

Post  mickl Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 am

Following on from the last forum where I asked about getting attacked while cycling. Like to ask now about while on a bus, clear pretty confined area, what sort defense/offense should I look at ?

for cover I was looking at covering my head boxing style to defend against blows or worse, but its the offensive part I have trouble with, clearly the attacker could be standing and I have limit area in which to move. So fancy foot work is out the question Razz but turning to face the attacker would be a good start unless they are hitting from behind ... so any ideas how approach this type of scenario.

mickl

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2006-08-25

Back to top Go down

A Bus Empty Re: A Bus

Post  OCFC Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 am

Get a car?

OCFC

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:52 am

What's the plural of troll?
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  OCFC Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:53 am

It's a lighthearted joke ffs mate!

OCFC

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Are you that Scottish bloke who logs on as 20 different people every day?
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  OCFC Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 pm

No thats a different Scottish bloke.

He had 3 different accounts I believe, his purpose in doing so is now fulfilled however.

Wink

OCFC

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 pm

You're not the one who asked Mick Coup to post nekkid pictures? In public!
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Laughing Suspect
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

Back to top Go down

Post  OCFC Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Socrates wrote:You're not the one who asked Mick Coup to post nekkid pictures? In public!

I'm sure it has and will continue to be made into some homosexual fantasy!

I don't think it was a request for naked pics or is this what it has become now?

Everyone knows I prefer small boys. In school uniform.

OCFC

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

It was the funniest post in the history of this venerable site.
Socrates
Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm

A bus is a confined space... so use that to your advantage. Covering can help keep you from being ko'd, but you still have to deal with the threat. So cover and advance... driving them into a seat, pole or other obstacles and launch an attack.
roadkill
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Believe it or not my mate got a very badly broken nose on a bus a few years ago. He had a bit of verbal with a guy etc it calmed down and my mate thought no more of it so totally switched off. The guy he had verbal with was getting off at an earlier stop as he walked by my mate he turned round and hit my mate square in the face. My mate freely admits he got done before he even knew what had happened. My mates a big guy 6ft 3ish he said the guy was only wee but didnt matter when he was sitting day dreaming. Im sure there was a guy badly stabbed a year or two ago on a bus in Edinburgh for basically nothing will try and find it. And believe it not its not uncommon to come across heroin addicts smoking heroin on the top deck of the bus in central Scotland (especially the court routes) and we all know how unpredictable junkies are.

stevie b

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  OCFC Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Socrates wrote:It was the funniest post in the history of this venerable site.

I'll bet, and getting funnier the more it's taken out of context and twisted to suit;)

OCFC

Back to top Go down

Post  theycallme-Sam Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:17 am

Seen a couple of scraps on busses mainly night busses in the early hours of the morning when they're full of drunken people who've been clubbing.

From what i've seen they normally start just prior to the aggressor getting off at their respective stop, (hit and run) and like previously mentioned they tend to come out of the blue with the person on the receiving end not seeing it coming.

Some points the above scenario raises to me is

A. Do you fight back and risk getting thrown off the bus possibly miles from home and on the the aggressors turf?

B. Accept the Sucker punch and let him run off into the night?

C. Try and use judgement in the queue for the Bus in the first place? (Use "Soft skills", common sense, whatever and don't stand near people who are obviously after trouble or don't be drawn into arguments if they come on to you)

This is only one scenario though as someone who hits you might not just want to run after a sucker punch they might want to do the tango on your head for whatever reason.
For that i feel you've got to fight back.

theycallme-Sam

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Buses and trains are good from a defensive stand point. If you can get into a corner or against the window you can lean against the seat and sides and fend off attacks while guarding your back. As for being thrown off the bus for defending yourself, I would say the risk is marginal if you are not a young bloke and if you are, then yell out to the driver to call the police, stop the bus and help you etc. At least it sets up the thought you are not the aggressor.

In western Sydney I have witnessed gangs of louts roaming the trains between carriages. Fortunately most of the old carriages with doors you could leave open while in motion are gone, but the connecting doors and platforms are popular hang out areas. Yobs often ride there and lob eggs at people as the train leaves the station.

One night I took my students on a train ride so we could work out scenarios and so forth. we were going to try some moves but the railway security chose our carriage to ride in and thought we were suspicious. In those days they wore black and silver jackets and looked very storm trooper like. They behaved that way too. We did get a good appreciation of possible problems and ways to manage multiple attackers, armed attackers and some strategies etc. Perry
Perry Gamsby
Perry Gamsby

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://www.perrygamsby.com

Back to top Go down

Post  the spaniard Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:29 am

the spaniard

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  OCFC Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 am

Gun and knife disarming, light if any contact with compliant partners.

Genius.

Am I going to be accused of trolling now?

OCFC

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 am

Mm well if you're doing self defence you should already be doing work that involves seats, awareness of your surroundings, close confines and multiple opponents and so on and so forth. Any of that will work on a bus or a train I personally wouldn't go out of my way to train with stuff you would find only in a bus.

Saying that just be careful getting on a bus as well, 98% prevention and all that. If you're going to get on a bus and its got nothing on it but pissed up muppets and you know there's one going the same way every 15 minutes don't get on. I know that wasn't exactly what was being asked but worth mentioning.

Very rarely take the bus anyway I got a car lol
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 am

Not to hijack the thead,

But I remember (very vaguely) what Socrates is talking about regarding that fellow asking Mick Coup for pics. I don't remember who it was, whole thing was ages ago, but some guy asked Mick for "muscle pics."

It caused quite a furore on here at the time, as it was the first obviously, and openly, homosexual post in the history of this forum. Up to that point.

Mick was quite diplomatic about it, and the incident soon receeded into infamous memory, but for a while there it had everyone here on the edge of their seat (while keeping their bums against the wall for good measure).

Ah great days!
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am

No sorry to continue the hijack as I do try my best to keep on topic but the forum was going to the dogs, blatant bating should not be allowed. I only met Mick once and h was a proper gent and its fairly shit frankly that he comes on here free of charge, because lets face it self defence advice is his trade, and gets bull shit like that.

I know you were probably being funny mate and fair doos this isn't aimed at you but: Good times my arse
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Dude,

Chill out. I haven't mentioned Mick at all except tangentially, and wasn't having a go at him in the above post either. I was having fun at the expense of a particular forum troll who pops up here sometimes. And no, no apologies for trolling a troll.

As far as the other business goes. What went on between Mick and Brian ect, was nothing to do with me. So commenting about it in response to something I posted is just barking up the wrong tree. I've never ridiculed Mick in any shape or form. Fair enough that you feel the way you do, but take it up with the responsible parties.

My "Great days!" remark was actually tongue firmly in cheek.

Can everyone stop taking every little thing on here to heart? I realise that some people "are here to learn", and I accept that. I just pop in because I like to. I think people know what to expect from my posts, and I'm probably regarded as a right arse. I'm not bothered either way. Very Happy But you know what to expect.

Thanks for your comment though, hope this doesn't seem like I'm having a go. I'm not!
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm

As I stated mate it was in no way a return dig at you so sorry if it seemed that way. I'll be honest I'd not been on for a few days and was surprised to see the new format and no Brian or Mick. I'm not even aware of what's transpired.

I just wanted to say that in the old days (and I know your remark was entirely innocent Smile ) it was indeed going to the dogs so here's to new beginnings
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  RichardZ Tue May 01, 2012 11:03 am

Cover up. Head for an exit

RichardZ

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-04-30

Back to top Go down