Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Krav Maga

+6
theycallme-Sam
Oldwolf
Perry Gamsby
Wayne Harrison
Ace Ventura
stevie b
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Krav Maga Empty Krav Maga

Post  stevie b Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi dont know if this right place to post this! Has anyone ever trained in IKMS Krav Maga? I stay in West Lothian in Scotland so RBSD clubs are a wee bit thin on ground to say the least! Theres a Krava Maga class local to me but is expensive. There are Judo,Boxing,Muay Thai and MMA clubs all within similar distance and i could take a class in each of these for the same price as one Krav Maga class! Im not looking to slate any system just genuinely wondering if im better just sticking to the other clubs and getting more training for my money rather than one class per week?

stevie b

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2006-08-23

Back to top Go down

Krav Maga Empty Re: Krav Maga

Post  stevie b Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Meant to add i have done some Boxing Muay Thai and MMA before. After long lay off looking to get training again. But due to being made redundant money is tight!

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 am

GO and watch a class of each and see what the instructor is like. IMHO the Krav sounds far too pricey (how much is it?)

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 am

The Krava Maga Class is just under 50 quid per month for one class per week and a 40 quid joining fee then more for t shirt etc.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 am

Are they taking the piss?

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 am

Thats what i thought! Its a monthly direct debit so even if you cant make it your still paying 12 quid a lesson! Im after reality training but i can go to the Boxing class for 2 quid for 2 hours the same with Judo. I would need to buy a Gi . I watched a few of the Krav Maga videos from this group on you tube and it looked like poor MMA and Muay Thai to me! I will post some links later

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:43 pm

i've heard of some classes in the likes of london being expensive. Krav here in nottingham is, erm, £40 per month. For that you get 8 or 10 classes, i cant remember offhand. I guess in an area where there isn't much reality stuff, that in fact they can charge such a fee.
Wayne Harrison
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Sorry you get the training wear for the 40 quid joining fee. Even if you took the two class per week deal the nearest venue is approx 30 miles away to get training on different nights!

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 am

stevie b wrote:The Krava Maga Class is just under 50 quid per month for one class per week and a 40 quid joining fee then more for t shirt etc.
In Australian Pesos that turns out to be a lot of moolah! A friend charges about 15quid a fortnight but for that you can train at either of two venues seven times a week including all classes in Muay Thai, MMA, Budo-jitsu, H2H combat, fitness, boxing, weights the lot. Krav maga should be a course that can be taught fairly quickly then I guess you just train and practise and get fitter. As I often say, are they teaching self defence or how to fight? Fighting requires fitness and might be a long, drawn out affair compared to real self defence which gives you the chance to survive, which might be running away, neutralizing the attacker/s, avoiding it altogether etc. I think you are better off mixing boxing with Judo and watching some YouTubes on WW2 combatives. Hell, even Bob Spour's clips are great fun! Perry
Perry Gamsby
Perry Gamsby

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://www.perrygamsby.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldwolf Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 am

I think for what they offer in terms of rbsd your money would be better spent along at the fighters hive in Bathgate.

Oldwolf

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2006-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Oldwolf do you train there yourself? Think its 50 quid a month unlimited classes? Think i might just go there as you say. Fancy some Judo too

cheers

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldwolf Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:52 am

Hi Stevie,
I occasionally train at the Fighters Hive for extra training, I used to train with The Born Warriors MMA in Livingston, but the club folded at the end of the year. The Instructor Jason Simpson may reopen it soon however it was really a closed/ invite only fight team/group made up of pro and semi pro fighters and geared toward that, I was lucky to have got in before they shut the doors. There is also a couple of clubs doing MMA in Whitburn.
For Judo, Lee McGroarty former commonwealth silver medalists, is one of the coaches at The fighters hive and is also one of the MMA fighters. For competition Judo Johnnie Imrie runs the Excellent Jidel Judo at Craigswood sports centre, where I also train (sometimes haha!)

Oldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:07 am

Thanks for the info. So do they cover Judo at fighters Hive aswell? Its more the sweeps and takedowns / staying on your feet aspect im intrested in from Judo. I heard of MMA clubs in Whitburn but cant find any details.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldwolf Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:23 am

I think they only cover Judo where it crosses over into MMA, so no gi etc
The Whitburn clubs, one I think is called the Scottish Tigers and was a kick boxing club which moved over to MMA run by James (memory lapse)
The other has just started with some of the remenants of the Born Warriors and I think Nimmy is the guy doing most of the coaching. I could get details if your interested.

Oldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 am

Fighters hive sounds the place thanks, I could go to a judo lesson seperately if / when i got fit enough.

cheers

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  theycallme-Sam Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 am

Personally i'd go down the Boxing and Judo route. £12 a lesson is quite a lot how long are the sessions?
Also wouldn't like the idea of paying by direct debit, i think this would be a pain in the arse if you have to have say 6 weeks off with an injury if you sustain one.

theycallme-Sam

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:14 am

The lessons are 2 hours long.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  theycallme-Sam Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 am

stevie b wrote:The lessons are 2 hours long.

I think you should pay a visit and check the club out, to see if it is what you are looking for. Maybe ask them if they'll give you a month where you can pay up front without setting up a direct debit.

Also pay a visit to the boxing and Judo clubs to see what they're like.

I think if you are looking for a self protection based system the Krav class will probably offer more along these lines (scenario based training etc) but if you want to get fitter and better at "The HARD Skills" then the judo and boxing will give you more of this due to the sparring.

If you are interested in learning the soft skills as they like to be labelled on here. Maybe at either the Judo or Boxing club you may find a like minded person who you can train these with out of class.

Finding A good training partner is as good as going to any class, but sometimes going to classes also can give you more of a direction to your training than if you just train at home.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

theycallme-Sam

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:17 am

I also discovered yesterday in the same community centre as the boxing a good old fashioned weights gym / room. ran by a commitee the caretaker says its only a tenner a year! Its only a small room with a bench squat rack loads of Dbs and plates punch bag etc def not fancy like a modern gym/sports centre. Gona nip in On Monday night and see the head of the commitee. Theres only 16 guys train there.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Nice!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Need to get an intro for the insurance sure its more like an old-school bodybuilders gym. But no fancy gear old benche etc looks like the place guys go to work out hard! Its only a 5min drive from me and is open to 9.30pm most nights just need to sign the key in and out with the caretaker so the only way you get to the room is if your working out.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 pm

sounds like the perfect gym!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  stevie b Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Will try and take pic with my phone i didnt think places like this existed lol! Cant believe the price.

stevie b

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 am

Thats sounds perfect, you lucky bugger Cool
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14