Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soft skills and "learning difficulties"

2 posters

Go down

Soft skills and "learning difficulties" Empty Soft skills and "learning difficulties"

Post  Ade Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 am

Hi Dave Very Happy

How would you go about teaching awareness,avoidance,etc to someone who has problems with social skills,especially when it comes to "reading" other people and situations?

Someone with ASD or Aspergers' Syndrome for example.

cheers mate

Ade
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Soft skills and "learning difficulties" Empty Re: Soft skills and "learning difficulties"

Post  David Turton Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 am

very slowly and clearly mate

it has the potential though to induce a minor form of paranoia, as they then tend to feel everyone is a threat

my grandson has Asbergers and you have to be VERY Careful when stating that anything is a 'fact', it then becomes 100%.

lots of talk and discussion hels as they will feedback what you ask

Soft Skills can be as adaptable as hard skills, and 'responses' to certain signals given from 'strangers' (not always stranger I know), can be a decent trigger to perform certain awareness/avoidance moves

good question Ade

oh PS, have you heard anything from Keith Q recently?

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Soft skills and "learning difficulties" Empty Re: Soft skills and "learning difficulties"

Post  Ade Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 am

thanks Dave,interesting stuff.I've a bit more to ask on the same subject later.(in a rush at the moment)

...and no,i've heard nothing from Keith since just after you were last down here,so that would be about a year ago ...has he gone AWOL? Laughing
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 am

Hi Ade

Yes I've sent him a couple of emails with no response ????

ask anything anytime mate .. can't guarantee in intelligent answers though Ha ha

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 am

I've only ever been able to email him...his phone won't take incoming calls apparently,which kind of makes having a phone a bit redundant in my opinion.

anyway,back on topic.

To be more specific on the learning difficulties question...

How would you approach the problem of "un-awareness"? The person that promted this thread has one trait that potentially can cause more problems than others,and that is a complete inability to read other people. I.e.someone can be "in his face" in full pre-fight mode and this fella will simply not be aware of what's going on.Aggressive/threatening tone of voice,posturing,etc,all goes un-noticed.The flip side of this is that his own verbal communication and body language are often "inappropriate" and can often precipitate trouble as he is seemingly unaware of his own "outgoing signals"....which in turn leads to more problems with people reacting defensively to his percieved "attitide".

It's quite a puzzle...
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down