Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info

+3
KEVROB
David Turton
geerarffe
7 posters

Go down

Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info Empty Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info

Post  geerarffe Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi I'm new here. I'll post an introduction when it's not 3am!

I'm on the hunt for information for my Sensei. I don't know the full details of what's going on but because I'm the most computer litterate I was asked to see what I can dig up. I've read through some of your previous posts and you seem to be the man to ask.

Here goes. He's looking for information or articals about Norman Grundy. We already have some information but are looking to collate everything we can.

Here's the long shot though, does ANYONE have any information about Fred Hill? I've been searching for weeks and have found a grand total of nothing! I believe (don't quote me) Fred trained under Norman for some time and my Sensei trained under Fred.

geerarffe

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info Empty Re: Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info

Post  David Turton Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:58 am

Norman Grundy was a most remarkable man I met him several times.. I have photos of him competing in 'Physical Excellence' competitions.. he was a special forces man during WW2.. he was someone who should have a film made about him.

I met him at Seamer near Scarborough many many years ago

sorry I cant help with Fred Hill

but Norman was very well respected for many years.. top man

I believe he had a lot to do with both Matutatsu and Robin O'Tani many years ago

top man

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:41 am

Can you tell me anything about his special forces experiences?

I was speaking to my sensei the other day and Fred did train under Norman. They met whilst on a mission in the special forces and it took off from there.

My Sensei has been trying to contact you to have a chat about some stuff. He's based over near Worksop.

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:53 am

I'd be happy to chat to your sensei any time mate

I will stick the few details I know as an attachment sometime next week mate.. not much just some tales I was told about 30 years ago

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVROB Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:19 am

FRED HILL WAS TEACHING IN SHEFFIELD BEFORE DIED - WHOS YOUR INSTRUCTOR - WHERE YOU FROM?

KEVROB

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Ron Evans Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:03 am

Some reference to Norman Grundy made here;

http://temaa.weebly.com/latest-courses.html

Very Happy
Ron Evans
Ron Evans

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2006-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Kevrob. I'm from Sheffield and my instructor was (I no longer train) Jim Walker. Would you be Kev from Stocksbridge? We seem to be inundated with Norman info now but finding and documented info on Fred is like trying to find rocking horse crap!

geerarffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:43 pm

geerarffe wrote:Hi Kevrob. I'm from Sheffield and my instructor was (I no longer train) Jim Walker. Would you be Kev from Stocksbridge? We seem to be inundated with Norman info now but finding and documented info on Fred is like trying to find rocking horse crap!

Hi i can get you some info as i train with someone who trained and know abit about him, i would have loved to have trained with fred as i have heard alot about him. I graded to 3rd dan with JIM WALKER 6th Dan (Kyushindo) INSTITUTE OF BUDO
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Norman Grundy/Fred Hill info Empty Subject:- Norman Grundy/Fred Hill

Post  lexus430 Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 am

geerarffe wrote:Hi I'm new here. I'll post an introduction when it's not 3am!

I'm on the hunt for information for my Sensei. I don't know the full details of what's going on but because I'm the most computer litterate I was asked to see what I can dig up. I've read through some of your previous posts and you seem to be the man to ask.

Here goes. He's looking for information or articals about Norman Grundy. We already have some information but are looking to collate everything we can.

Here's the long shot though, does ANYONE have any information about Fred Hill? I've been searching for weeks and have found a grand total of nothing! I believe (don't quote me) Fred trained under Norman for some time and my Sensei trained under Fred.

I will not comment on what I know about Norman Grundy as this as been extremely well covered by SEC IBU but will give an indepth view point on Fred Hill. Fred was my next door but two neighbour and lived on Jenkin Close ,Sheffield.
My initial meeting with Fred was in May 1968. He and I used to walk to and from work. He worked at AEI. Freds dojo was a wooden hut with no heating or lighting and was situated in the grounds of St Margarets Church on Jenkin Road. During the winter months we lit the dojo with candles and kept reasonably warm through a very rigorous training regime.
Eventually we re-located to a methodist chapel at the bottom of Dearne St opposite our favourite watering hole, the Railway pub.
During my many years of training with Fred from 1969 to 1979 I was fortunate to meet with many first class individuals to name a few, Fred ,Alan Mcnamara (his son inlaw) ,Doug and Bill Woodruff ,Jack Mitchell ,Jerry, Dave Wheeler ,Bob Mundon ,LIttle Vic ,Trev Styring and many more.
We visited Normans place in Scarborough at least once every two months.
GOOD TIMES.

lexus430

Registration date : 2011-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TaiGyoku Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:37 am

Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I was pleased to find this discussion, as I have been looking for information for some time on Fred Hill and Doug Woodruff. I have been training in aiki for some time in the southeast, Eastbourne area. I started my training under Gerd Kroell sensei who sadly passed away in 2001, but have since been training under his senior student Guy Mather sensei. We're a modest sized group but have kept training as true to form as possible as was passed down to us through Gerd Sensei.

We never knew a great deal regarding our heritage but recently made contact with Phil Giles who had noticed a photograph of Norman Grundy on our website. One of the only pieces of the puzzle we have left! What we do know is that Gerd Sensei trained under a chap named Stuart Gleaden in the southeast and also Doug Woodruff who we understand was based in Sheffied. Gerd Sensei was given his full licence (menkyo kaiden) from Doug Woodruff some many years ago. I understand from the post here from lexus430 that Doug Woodruff was a student of Fred Hill? Is this correct?

If anyone has any further information regarding both Stuart Gleaden and Doug Woodruff I would be extremely grateful to hear. Its been very frustrating over the years to not know our lineage, but it seems that the picture is starting to unfold.

We practice Tai Gyoku Ryu Aikido and Aikijujutsu.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

TaiGyoku

Registration date : 2011-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.Brown Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

[quote="lexus430"]
geerarffe wrote:
Freds dojo was a wooden hut with no heating or lighting and was situated in the grounds of St Margarets Church on Jenkin Road. During the winter months we lit the dojo with candles and kept reasonably warm through a very rigorous training regime.

The Hut on St Margarets Church is now knocked down they have made a car park, it looked a nice size for a dojo i was loooking at it for my dojo. But i got some where close by, I thought Fred had a club at limpsfield school (if i have got the name right) i had my dojo there for a year only problem was when the school shut your club had to shut too.
Rob.Brown
Rob.Brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down