Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self awareness talk

2 posters

Go down

Self awareness talk Empty Self awareness talk

Post  Jagunco Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:59 am

So I was planning on doing this talk on awareness and avoidance and target hardening. Not a long one but I feel its right to include the soft skills in the course.

I had it planned to be about an hour... however I've been given the oppourtunity to do the course in an MMA gym... why is this a problem? Well... Smile

Like many MMA gyms that isn't how the building started life and when the tough lads took over (and I say that without the slightest hint of sarcasm, its a very good gym) they felt heating was more expense than it is worth.

At this time of year it is freezing and though this isn't bad for the heavy training invovled in cross fit and MMA its not too good for a sit down talk. It must also be taken into account that a lot of the people there will be ladies with no Martial Art or

My friend has told me to condense it into fifteen minutes. I'm not sure I can fit everything in in fifteen minutes and wanted to do longer but still.

So I wondered what people here thought I could and should cover in this talk.

I'm going to start off with awareness of course and examples like using cashing machines and entering pubs and parties because of the time of year then go through target hardening and its concept then a short warm up to get everyone going and divvy up the rest of my natter throughout the course

What do you think?
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Self awareness talk Empty Re: Self awareness talk

Post  Dave Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 am

I think its a great idea. I'm not sure that the venue is best ever as you mentioned people who have never practiced martial arts or combat sports entering an MMA gym. MMA gym's and there patrons can come across as quite intimidating, plus the lack of heating is a big dissuading factor. A community centre , conference hall or school gymnasium would be a better choice. Unless your friends / colleagues are going to be teaaching some of the hard skills then the equipment available in an MMA gym would be beneficial.

If there is a hard skills session maybe cover this first to get the participants nice and warm before you do your segment, negating the cold temperatures in the gym.

Time wise 15 mins isn't long to cover all the soft skills. Maybe keep the content to cover just Awareness and Avoidance in their most basic forms and get the point across that if these skills are used correctly 9 times out of 10 you don't need the Hard Skills.

Good luck and I hope it goes well. santa
Dave
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:08 am

you missed the boat mate it happened a year ago. It went fine btw but I didn't use the MMA gym
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down