Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydration and Breathing

+2
GOVINDA
FASD
6 posters

Go down

Hydration and Breathing Empty Hydration and Breathing

Post  FASD Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Sufficient hydration and proper use of breathing techniques are often  overlooked. The fact is that these two things are extremely important to sustain a healthy mind and body, especially when in physical training.

Hydration
Hydration of your body is extremely important whether you are doing physical activity or not. Most people will not experience the sensation of thirst until approximately one liter of water is lost, making thirst a very poor indication of when to drink. Some indications of being well hydrated may be that you need to urinate every two to three hours. Your urine should be clear and you should not experience a parched/dry feeling in your mouth. If you urine is yellow and smelly, you are under hydrated. Effectively, you should be ‘drinking for tomorrow’.

Hydration and Breathing Hydration-300x112

Approximately two hours before exercise, it is advised to drink 400 to 600 ml of water (approximately 2 glasses). During exercise, drink 150 – 250 ml every 10 to 15 minutes. After exercise drink 1.5 to 2 Liters.  It is important to regularly replenish fluids lost through sweating, but sculling or gulping water is very ineffective and is more likely to give you a cramp during further exercise, as well as making you have to use the toilet more often. It is much better to take small sips. Also, if you drink sports drinks you should dilute them 50-50 with water.

In general, you should aim to drink the cleanest water available. Food can be a great source of water especially fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, be aware that  diuretic substances such as caffeine and alcohol will dehydrate you further.

Breathing
Breathing is the sustenance of life force. When you breathe correctly you will be able to train harder and recover faster. You will also feel more energetic and on a higher level.

To get the most out of each breathe you should breathe through the nose. It enables the air you breathe in to be filtered more thoroughly before it enters your lungs. Breathe in slowly and deeply so that your lungs are expanded to their maximum. Use you diaphragm as a sucking pump and then expand your rib cage with the help of your shoulder muscles. Then, exhale with slow exhalations using mostly the diaphragm in a reverse action as a squeezing pump, until your lungs are completely empty. Before your next breathe, take a regular pause at the end of your exhalation as you normally would if not concentrating on breathing.

Hydration and Breathing Woman-breathing

During the normal course of your day you will not be able to concentrate in breathing in this way, but if you practice just a few minutes each day, and any time you remember to through-out the day, then you will slowly condition your natural breathing pattern. A good time to practice is as part of and after your cool down after your workout.
FASD
FASD

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-13

http://firstactionselfdefense.net

Back to top Go down

Hydration and Breathing Empty Re: Hydration and Breathing

Post  GOVINDA Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 am

Do you have any more pictures of that woman in the post ?
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 am

haha,

sorry but no.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 am

specific breathing exercises have been shown to be somewhat superfluous

your body will breath all by itself in the manner needed at that time

the late great Master Kenshiro Abbe 10th Dan, when asked about breathing simply said

"Yes ... Breath"

the hydration I concur with with some slight reservations

Thirst is NOT a poor indicator of the fluid levels in your body but a REMINDER that some is needed.... the way hydration works is that the water is absorbed quite quickly even if you wait while you feel thirst...

babies cry for nutrition when their inner workings tell them to.. they dont cry BEFORE they feel the pangs..

feeling thirsty is simply a signal that some form of fluid is now required, its not TOO Late as drinking water will see re-hydration very quickly...

you dont really need to pre-hydrate.. just ensure some water is available when you know you are going to lose some either/or by sweating or training..
the rest is old but sound advice

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 pm

GOVINDA wrote:Do you have any more pictures of that woman in the post ?

Yeah,cheers Gov,that's more coffee spat out on my keyboard lol!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

David Turton wrote:your body will breath all by itself in the manner needed at that time

Spot on Smile

I had a boxing coach who went on and on about how and when to breath (yes..when Rolling Eyes )

My argument always used to be that when someone was punching me in the face repeatedly,how the hell could i be expected to actually think about breathing?
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Ade wrote:
GOVINDA wrote:Do you have any more pictures of that woman in the post ?

Yeah,cheers Gov,that's more coffee spat out on my keyboard lol!

Your very welcome Razz
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Water intake has alwasy been a bit of pet peeve of mine and for no good reason.

A couple of the my old *ahem* instructors seemed to feel the need to forbid drinking in a lesson for reasons I can't understand. In some instances their students just blatantly ignored them.

I myself was always annoyed with people who would not drink a drop of water through the day. End up coming to a session probably already de hydrated after drinking nothing but two coffee's all day and having to nip off every five minutes to take a chug of water. This was especially annoying when I was partnered with them and thus missed training also.

The really bad one was when they would nip off and chug water in a demonstraion of the next exercise and drink with their back to the room and I would have to spend time actually telling them what they were meant to be doing.

So for all this I've developed a strong habit of never drinking in a training session, with the exception of kettlebell session for some reason and always only on rest breaks.

I do always drink about 2 litres of water most days of the week through the day and have never felt thirsty when training on a nighttime after this practice. If for whatever I've been out through the day and not taken water I'll drink in a session but this seldom happens.

I have however no objection to breathing in a training session Very Happy
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm sort of onboard with Jagunco. When I was in the Legion running round in Djibouti (temps well over 100 most days) I hardly drank at all and couldn't believe my ears when I heard how much the Yanks allocate per soldier/per day in the desert. (typically I'd have a coffee at breakfast, 3 or 4 Oranginas after runs and maybe one or two more after work) On terrain i.e. marching with pack in the desert I'd have coffee for breakfast, half a water bottle per day, and a tea at night.

I think if you get used to drinking a lot of it your body gets used to it and wants more...if you get used to going without then you adapt accordingly. I do know the natives out there weren't drinking anywhere near the amount the Yanks allocated either.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:I think if you get used to drinking a lot of it your body gets used to it and wants more...if you get used to going without then you adapt accordingly.

Nick

Thats exactly what they taught us in the Aust Army
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 am

I concur, I also noticed this whilst serving with the SAS and Navy Seals.......I don't like to talk about though,.......we were only allowed two table spoons of water a week ! clown
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 am

Its amazing what the body can endure when forced. I worked with a lady, she was late 50s at the time and she had just completed a survival course where she survived a week on nothing but about half a cup of insects

Of course this is just what she told me.. but I am inclined to beleive her. She was well respected in her field (survival and outdoors) at the time.
FASD
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 am

Gov.. only the SAS could balance water in a tablespoon for a week.... impressive stuff
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 am

One in each hand too.... impressive
Jagunco
Jagunco

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am

Jagunco wrote:One in each hand too.... impressive

Thanks mate, Mother always said that when I kept winning the cross country egg and spoon race over the Pen Y Fan, P4, 5 and 6 that I was meant for great things Wink
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down