Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RKC Program Minimum

+5
Buster
Socrates
Mr Nobody
GOVINDA
Ade
9 posters

Go down

RKC Program Minimum Empty RKC Program Minimum

Post  Ade Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 am

Following on from the "24kg kettlebell" thread i've had my first week on the RKC program minimum with the 32kg kettlebell:

Turkish Get Ups;

Had a feeling i was lacking in technique somewhere,so went back to the start,re-studied Pavel's "Enter the Kettlebell",and had a long hard look at how i was performing.
I was having trouble getting off the floor,i worked out i was trying to sit up as opposed to rolling up onto my elbow.
Now i can do five minutes going from the floor to sitting,when i'm happy with that i'll go to standing.

Swings;

12 minutes of swings,swinging to a "comfortable stop"...active rest....and repeat when ready .1st set was 28 swings,last was 5 swings,made a point of not counting reps for the other sets,but i totalled 14 sets.

Short amount of time but deceptively hard work Twisted Evil
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

RKC Program Minimum Empty Re: RKC Program Minimum

Post  GOVINDA Fri May 11, 2012 2:54 am

I have yet to try the whole kettle bell fad, used them once while at a Lee Morrison seminar a while back, punching the air whilst holding one type thing.......also I see then exercises advertised on the Active channel, spandex and leg warmers, would you say I am missing out big time Ade ?
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 am

I wouldn't say you're missing out big time Gov,it's a horses for courses thing really.

I spent years training in an abbreviated powerlifting style,but i can't handle the heavy weights anymore...so in my search for a new perspective i discovered pavel and RKC.

I like the simplicity of kettlebells and the "holistic whole body" approach to training.What i don't like is the hype and the fitness classes with unfit people doing mega high rep counts with mega light kettlebells.( but that's just my opinion)

Depending on your strength levels,grab an appropriate k'bell and give it a go mate,and see what you think (i can email you some more indepth info about the program minimum if you want)

Me,i love my 70lb lump of iron,and it loves me Twisted Evil
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am

Ade wrote:I wouldn't say you're missing out big time Gov,it's a horses for courses thing really.

I spent years training in an abbreviated powerlifting style,but i can't handle the heavy weights anymore...so in my search for a new perspective i discovered pavel and RKC.

I like the simplicity of kettlebells and the "holistic whole body" approach to training.What i don't like is the hype and the fitness classes with unfit people doing mega high rep counts with mega light kettlebells.( but that's just my opinion)

Depending on your strength levels,grab an appropriate k'bell and give it a go mate,and see what you think (i can email you some more indepth info about the program minimum if you want)

Me,i love my 70lb lump of iron,and it loves me Twisted Evil

Thanks Ade, knifedefense@yahoo.co.uk

I'll give it a go.
GOVINDA
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri May 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Email on it's way Gov.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Good on you Ade, keep up the good work!

Gov,

Ignore the fad, informercial crap that has come with kettlebells. They are a hardcore tool when used properly. Look up trainers such as Mike Mahler, Steve Cotter, Valery Fedorenko, Steve Maxwell, Dan John et al for how proper, manlike kettlebell training is supposed to be.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm comfortably up to "side bridge" on the get up....but i can't get on my knees cos' i have an ingrowing toenail on a big toe and i can't flex the toes enough to get in the kneeling position! Mad Mad Mad pale

FFS! What next?!

I think the saying goes "these things are sent to try us" Rolling Eyes

Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 am

This DVD is stupidly expensive, but it is a great training resource on the TGU: http://functionalmovement.com/store/kettlebells_from_the_ground_up

If you have the cash, I strongly recommend it. They turn the TGU into a kind of martial arts form or assessment tool. Basically, you do tons of TGUs with bodyweight to nail the move. Then you can move up to the 12k and the 16k. Doing the whole move with the 24k is tough. Doing it with a glass of water without spilling any is even tougher...

If you are reluctant to spend so much, put Gray Cook and Brett Jones into Youtube and check out their free resources.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 am

Thanks Soc,good link.I've been doing it without weight a lot to try and work past the sticking point i have getting up to elbow,and i think it's paying off (see below0

Ade wrote:I'm comfortably up to "side bridge" on the get up....but i can't get on my knees cos' i have an ingrowing toenail on a big toe and i can't flex the toes enough to get in the kneeling position! Mad Mad Mad pale

Strapped up the toe,stuck on a pair of doc martens,and just managed two reps each side of FULL get ups cheers

Today is a good day.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Mon May 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Good work Ade! Keep on pushing it. Smile
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster Wed May 30, 2012 1:11 am

I think it was off a Dan john clip that he mentioned placing a paper cup with some water in it on top of your fist to smooth out the tgu,also seen a water bottle balanced on the palm.

hope that helps.

Buster
Buster
Buster

Number of posts : 798

http://www.crossfitclinic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster Wed May 30, 2012 4:12 am

Buster
Buster

Number of posts : 798

http://www.crossfitclinic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:26 am

another step backwards......

I'll have to stick with doing get ups just from prone to sitting,my knees can't cope with being knelt on with the extra 70lbs...and rising from the kneeling position hurts like a mofo as well.The knees cope with swings ok though.

But,overall,it doesn't feel like i'm missing out on anything just doing the "half" get up along with the swings.My legs/hips/etc get plenty of work from the swings,and half get ups can still be fun andmasochistic (in a good way)

any thoughts?
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 am

Do it with 16k and work on the quality of the movement!
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:19 pm

full get ups with no weight hurt my knees Soc,so dropping the weight won't make a huge amount of difference.......a couple of new knees might though Laughing
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Stick with it mate,

I really respect your determination to keep training.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Ade,

There's still alot gained by doing TGU from prone to sitting so don't worry about it.

As an extra, you can always try and go from prone to sitting without using your hands on the floor at all to assist in the get up....this just makes it another challenge but use a light weight first when trying it out.
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

thanks BN.

MrN,i'm learning that my rear end is not a stable platform like my feet are...sitting bolt upright with the 32 above my head is nicely challenging Twisted Evil I like the sound of a no handed prone to sitting,i'll give it a go with something girlishly light sometime!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 am

Ade, you are an inspiration fella....

Keep up the good work mate Cool
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 am

Aches and pains have forced a week of the program.But as luck would have it i received a 16kg 'bell as a Fathers Day present,so i'll start back in with that one for a while and see if taking a couple of steps backward weightwise will help push a few more steps forward in terms of form and output
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:01 am

Good idea Ade.

There is nothing wrong with taking a step back and focusing on correct technique with a lighter weight. Do you have someone who can help you with your technique or can you video yourself and self critique?
Mr Nobody
Mr Nobody

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 am

I'm finding that due to the "split routine" nature of the PM i'm finding it hard to stick to the TGU's mon & Thurs/Swings Tues & Fri formula.
I'm going to switch to a more "self contained" plan whereby i'll do the 5mins of TGU's and 12 mins of Swings together as a work out,and try and get 3 or 4 of these done in a week.That way if life gets in the way(as it tends to),and i miss a day i'll be able to just pick it up the day after without falling behind in some pre-scheduled plan.
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 am

After a while the TGU's became troublesome,so i've had a switch and i'm just doing snatches at the moment...some days with the light 'bell and some with the heavy,depending on how the mood takes me.

Very Happy

p.s.snatches with a 32kg 'bell take a bit of practice....and space,lots of space!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

We used to do the TGU with no hands into a sitting position at the kettlebell class I used to attend. We either got a partner to lean on our ankles or hooked another kettlebell onto our foot though lol Smile
Jagunco
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave.cyco Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Ade, pretty successful looking forum you've got going on here! As a fellow KB enthusiast, I wanted to drop by and invite you and any of your members who might be interested to join our little December 2012 "Let it Swing" challenge at physicalculture.canadian-forum.com. Sorry for the late invite, but we will be doing some kind of challenge every month and new blood always makes things interesting. It looks like January is going to be a Sig Klein C&P challenge (with kettlebells, dumbbells, barbells - whichever you want).

You can bet I'll be lurking some more on your forum. Cheers! RKC Program Minimum Mrgreen

Dave

Dave.cyco

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down