Self-Protection Dot Com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Socrates
Chris
cfadeftac
CameronQ
rasdj
Sven
Ian S
Ade
Nick Hughes
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2010 Empty 2010

Post  Nick Hughes Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Well...it's only 8 days till the end of the year so I figure once again it's time to set the goals list up for everyone for 2010. (and, I'm flat out working on my number one goal so I won't have much time if it happens to do this later)

It was nice to see some of you achieve so much of what you set out to do, and, for the ones who didn't do everything they went for (and I was one of them) better luck this coming year.

(A lot of times we get sidetracked when doing these. It's a bit like a trip you've planned to somewhere and on the way you get a flat tyre, get delayed by a traffic jam, run into a detour and so on. You still get there but you might have to make adjustments mid-stream as it were.)

By the way...don't think of this as a goal-setting exercise but rather as a goal-achieving exercise. Anyone can set them - and many do, but not nearly as many achieve them.

Here's my 10 for 2010...

1. Get my tattoo studio open. It's nearly done but I'm about 3k short of getting the door open due to cost overruns.

2. Get certified in teaching Yoga. (this one depends on whether my girlfriend runs her teacher training seminar and we're still together Very Happy )

3. Move to the lake. About 25 miles North of where I live is an area called Lake Norman and it's where my shop is going to be. I don't want a 50 mile round trip every day so, once the shop is profitable I want to be living on the water.

This is Lake Norman

2010 Peninsula%2520Lake%2520Norman

4. Do four seminars around the country. (The first one is already scheduled in Chicago in Jan so I'm 1/4 of the way to fulfilling this one Smile )

5. Get my security training company launched and hired at least four times.

6. Do 100 hours of continuing education. (Doesn't matter whether it's evasive driving, hypnosis, NLP, shooting, martial arts or real estate...I try and do at least 100 hours every year)

7. Get my six pack back for my 50th birthday (I want to send a pic to my chubby non-training brother to piss him off)

8. Get my E-Book company back on line (had some glitches due to software incompatability etc...had to put it on hold to get the shop done)

9. Do some short sales with my buddy out of Florida (this is a pre-cursor to foreclosure when the back takes less than the asking price for a property rather than foreclose) I find the deals, he finances it, and we split the profit.

10. Get my Toastmasters Silver (quit going last year when I moved clear across town to house sit for a friend...then got caught up working on the shop location etc.)

I wish you all luck in yours and look forward to reading them and following everyone's progress again. (I'm hoping my nemesis BrianS tackles the Para 10 again seeing he was so agonizingly close to his goal time the last time round)

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

2010 Empty Re: 2010

Post  Ade Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 am

re:no3

Couldn't you pick a lake with a more exciting name?...Norman? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Ade
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian S Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 am

OK, here's my 2010 aims:

1) Get my novel published. Finally finished it, this month, after the best part of a decade. I've sent it off to a couple of agents, but am fully expecting to have to re-work it and/or send it off to at least 50 more agents before one of them will take it on.

2) Get to blue belt (2nd Kyu) in judo. I could potentially get to brown belt (1st kyu) this year, but there's a stack of stuff to learn, so I'm trying to be realistic & aim for blue.

3) Get resting heart rate below 50 by the end of Feb, through some long slow distance training.

4) Switch to a Rippetoe-style "Starting Strength" programme in March, & stick with it for 3 months.

5) Get deadlift to 2.5 x bodyweight.

6) Start & finish Secret Money-Making Plan X (it's viable, it's just going to be quite a bit of work).
Ian S
Ian S

Number of posts : 1070

http://www.hyboriantales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 am

Ade,

Given there are no other bloody lakes in the area...er..no Very Happy

It's man made by the way and is named after the President of the power company that built it. All I can say is lucky his name wasn't Mick.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sven Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 am

OK, here's my goals

1. Get in shape & loose at least 20 kg of bodyweight

2. Get my web-based info portal online and make it profitable, up to £40k a month at the end of a year; begin to spread to other countries (at least one)

3. Move back to Tallinn

4. Have my short story published

So I'm committed now... affraid
Sven
Sven

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:14 am

Nick Hughes wrote:Ade,

Given there are no other bloody lakes in the area...er..no Very Happy

It's man made by the way and is named after the President of the power company that built it. All I can say is lucky his name wasn't Mick.

Nick

Could always change it to "Lake Teapot" i suppose Smile

...i'll post my goals for 2010 when i decide exactly (and realistically) what they are scratch
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:18 am

i will post my 2010 goals next week, was inspired by those that achieved their 2009 goals.

separately, nick what are the dates for the chi-town seminar pm me, would love to train.
rasdj
rasdj

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  CameronQ Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Nick wrote:7. Get my six pack back for my 50th birthday (I want to send a pic to my chubby non-training brother to piss him off)
Ran into your chubby non-training brother a couple of months ago. He needs to spend a little time with your non-chubby training brother who still seems to be hard and fit and healthy... Very Happy
CameronQ
CameronQ

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-05-30

http://www.budokarate.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 am

I doubt David will be anything but hard, fit and healthy his entire life...yes, can't wait to piss the other one off. cheers

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  cfadeftac Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:42 am

Guess I'll add mine.

1. Lose 40 pounds and keep it off.

2. Increase my annual income by 10%.

3. Enjoy one kicker two week vacation with the wife and kids, we just returned from two weeks in Southern Californa and I would like to top that.

4. To not purchase any books, magazines, or DVDs this year; I'm an information junkie and I often overload and I can do that at the library and save lot's of cash. I already own your DVD's Nick Smile

5. Find a new local martial arts instructor, mine just moved away and I can only meet with the head instructor rarely due to distance. I train with another student regularly but since we are pretty equal in skill I feel my growth stalling.

Andrew

I hope everyone achieves everything they are hoping for.

cfadeftac

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2006-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 am

Here Goes.

1) Pay off at least half of debt.
2) Save 3mnths Salary
3) Family Vacation (1wk)
4) Take the kids to a upick (pick your own fruit) farm at least twice this summer.
5) Start regular MA training (just moved and other instructor is too far away)
6) Achieve and Olympic/straight handstand (i'm starting from scratch)
7) Make it through my reading list (30bks)
rasdj
rasdj

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:02 pm

The latest research is in on what works and what doesn't when it comes to goal setting and motivation...

"Second, successful participants were far more likely than others to tell their friends, family, and colleagues about their goals. It seems that although keeping your promises to yourself helps ease the fear of failure, it also makes it too easy to avoid changing your life and to drift back to old habits and routines. This is in keeping with several key findings from psychology literature illustrating that people are more likely to stick to their veiws and promises if they go public.

Other work suggests that the greater the public declaration, the more motivated people are to achieve their goals. Telling other about your aims also helps you achieve them, in part because friends and family often provide much needed support when the going gets tough."

From the book "59 Seconds, Think a Little, Change a Lot" by University Professor Richard Wiseman.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 am

Here we go.

1) - Complete a full marathon.

2) - Gain my 3rd Dan

3) - Find a volunteer role that suits me

4) - Run the Great North Run in aid of the Air Ambulance charity.

5) - Look at the possibility of transferring to Durham University to continue with PHD

6) - Find independent source of income.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:59 am

...i'll post my goals for 2010 when i decide exactly (and realistically)what they are

I have to admit i'm struggling to find a direction to take this year...and it's frustrating to say the least!
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 am

1) Learn to ride a horse. It was a childhood ambition of mine and I want to start lessons after my 40th birthday in March.

2) Start stick sparring without hurting myself. One of my mates is training to be a Dog Brother. The drills are good fun, but it would be interesting to take it one step forward. Having said that, I really don't want to break anything...

3) Make my 32k kettlebell my bitch. I want it to tremble with fear when I approach it. At the end of last year, I managed to get it overhead in a push-press with my dodgy hand for one rep. This year I want to snatch it, throw it, press it for reps, do complexes with it and so on.
Socrates
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 am

Nick Hughes wrote:The latest research is in on what works and what doesn't when it comes to goal setting and motivation...

"Second, successful participants were far more likely than others to tell their friends, family, and colleagues about their goals. It seems that although keeping your promises to yourself helps ease the fear of failure, it also makes it too easy to avoid changing your life and to drift back to old habits and routines. This is in keeping with several key findings from psychology literature illustrating that people are more likely to stick to their veiws and promises if they go public.

Other work suggests that the greater the public declaration, the more motivated people are to achieve their goals. Telling other about your aims also helps you achieve them, in part because friends and family often provide much needed support when the going gets tough."

From the book "59 Seconds, Think a Little, Change a Lot" by University Professor Richard Wiseman.

Nick

I've always found Wiseman to be something of a tit and anything but a wise man. Far more useful work has been written by Cialdini on persuasion. The 'public declaration' aspect is just the 'Consistency' angle which is as old as the hills in social psychology. (hence my view of Wiseman as a tit)

Back to top Go down

Post  BN Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 am

"I've always found Wiseman to be something of a tit "

You say that about everyone though, you crusty old git.
BN
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 am

BN wrote:"I've always found Wiseman to be something of a tit "

You say that about everyone though, you crusty old git.

You TIT!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 am

Dave,

Most of the book isn't Wiseman's sayings though...he is citing a bunch of other studies and yes, he mentions Cialdini a lot.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 am

Nick Hughes wrote:Dave,

Most of the book isn't Wiseman's sayings though...he is citing a bunch of other studies and yes, he mentions Cialdini a lot.

Nick

He's still a tit, I tell you!

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 am

Tits aside. I do like Cialdini, i might have to add this book[59 secs] my reading list we'll see how i progress.
rasdj
rasdj

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Goal number 1 sorted...my tattoo shop is open. Web site http://www.SinnersAndSaintsTattoos.com is a work in progress but I am officially open. Yeehaw.

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 pm

So, we're coming up to the first 1/4 of the year...any progress gents?

Nick
Nick Hughes
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 am

Good job with the tattoo shop Nick, very nice website.

But your profile man.......... how can you not like country music?!
Peter
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Nick Hughes wrote:So, we're coming up to the first 1/4 of the year...any progress gents?

Nick

Sweet FA! I seem to be stuck in neutral right now Rolling Eyes
Ade
Ade
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down